IR conflict between XBox 360 and Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
globalcop

HTPC Specs: Show details

IR conflict between XBox 360 and Echo

Post by globalcop » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Ben Drawbaugh mentioned that there is a way to tweak the Echo to work on a different set of IR commands. I think I need to do this because I am having a constant conflict between the Echo and my Xbox 360. The remote that came with the Echo does not interfere with my XBox, but any control that I use with my XBox (Media Center remote or Xbox 360-specific IR remote) always causes my Ceton Echo to respond.

I also have a Harmony 880 and if anyone knows of a device setting I can use that will control the XBox but not the Ceton I'd love to hear about it. Otherwise I will just do the advanced remote config on the Ceton remote and then teach my Harmony the IR commands from there.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm

The Harmony remote can be set up via the software included to control the 360, I've got my Harmony 300 doing it.

Just go to the Logitech site and download and use their software, it's pretty easy.

Although the Harmony might interfere the same way, it's likely using the same frequency to communicate as the XBox remote does.

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks, yes, I have been using the Harmony to control my Xbox for a few years now. However I'm still having same problem with any of the remotes that I use to control my Xbox also control the harmony but not vice versa.

Problem isn't with the Xbox per se but with the Ceton. The Ceton will not stop recognizing XBox signals no matter what remote is sending them.

tad

Post by tad » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Correct - you need to change the IR codeset used by the echo. By default, the echo is set to respond to all of the Media Center IR codesets.

Instructions were posted in the thread I started, available here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3775

globalcop

Post by globalcop » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 am

Thanks Tad. I did a search on the forums here for Echo and IR Codes and didn't get any hits, sorry for the dupe post. Anyway, I also just got this reply directly from Ceton and it worked:

It sounds like this is an issue with how your Logitech remote is sending commands. The Echo accepts the standard Media Center IR codes. There are two solutions that might work for you. You can tell your Xbox 360 to only respond to the Xbox 360 Media Remote. You can do this from within the Xbox 360 settings. In most cases this prevents other remotes from interacting with it. Alternatively, you can set your Echo to use a different remote control address. This means that it will respond only to remotes that have also been set to the new address. We can give you the instructions to do this, however, you may need to contact Logitech to determine how to quickly change the address that the remote uses. You can then switch between the two on the remote, usually with a combination of a couple keypresses. The instructions for changing the address on the Echo are below:

1. Turn off your Echo.
2. Type in 2472337#, where # is the address to use. This must be a number between 1 and 8, for example, 24723373 would set the Echo to listen to address 3.
Note that once this is changed, it will not respond to any remote not using the specific address.
3. To change the address the included Ceton remote uses just press and hold the INFO button and the number to change it to for at least 3 seconds.

Again, you'll need to look up instructions for your Logitech Harmony remote in order to change its address, but it should be a similar process. If you need to change the Echo back to its default settings which is to listen to any address, use the code 24723370. Again, the code must be typed in while the Echo is turned off.

We hope that helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:38 am

The full instructions, using the ORIGINAL remote that was shipped with the Echo can be found here. Once you program the Echo to use a new codeset, then you also need to re-program your Harmony (or other programmable remote) to use that codeset too.

tad

Post by tad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:01 am

barnabas1969 wrote:The full instructions, using the ORIGINAL remote that was shipped with the Echo can be found here. Once you program the Echo to use a new codeset, then you also need to re-program your Harmony (or other programmable remote) to use that codeset too.
Also, as far as I know, the alternate codesets for media center are not available in the logitech database - i had to learn each command individually. A bit obnoxious, but not insurmountable.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:52 am

tad wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:The full instructions, using the ORIGINAL remote that was shipped with the Echo can be found here. Once you program the Echo to use a new codeset, then you also need to re-program your Harmony (or other programmable remote) to use that codeset too.
Also, as far as I know, the alternate codesets for media center are not available in the logitech database - i had to learn each command individually. A bit obnoxious, but not insurmountable.
I've read that the Harmony does have the other code sets, but I don't have a Logitech remote so I cannot confirm. My Acoustic Research AR-RX18G remote has all of the additional code sets in the online database.