Questions about Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
loomdog32

HTPC Specs: Show details

Questions about Echo

Post by loomdog32 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:48 pm

I have tried searching to find this info, but with the different firmwares and not knowing who is on what - hopefully I can get some simple questions answered...

I have been using SageTV for several years now. With the Google buyout and complete lack of support since (I make this statement from experience with support after buyout), I have been looking for replacement... What I am looking for is something that will do what I an CURRENTLY (and have been) doing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Current setup. SageTV running on WHS2011 and archived media on unRAID. Win7 HTPC Client in the front room. HD200 Extender in the bedroom. PlaceShifter was sometimes used (I have since used Plex instead).
Live TV / Recorded TV / DVD - HDDVD - BluRay rip via MakeMKV to MKV / CD rip via WMP to MP3. HDHR and HDHR Prime for tuners.

I have been "testing" Win7 WMC on the HTPC with 1 tuner form HDHR and HDHR Prime. So far, so good.

Ultimately I would like to use the WHS2011 box, using Win8. (Why WIn8, I have a Win8 Pro and Media Kit License. I dont have any extra Win7 License) With extenders at ALL the TV locations.

I am hoping the Echo will match the HD200 as far as performance and ability. The HD200 playsback Live TV and Recorded TV with 0 issues. ffwd and rewind with 0 issues. DVD and CD MKV/MP3 rips - same as TV. HD MKV rips, Video playback yes. Audio playback requires passthru to receiver to decode DTS.

So, would the Echo survive this? Specifically on playback of MKV files... WMC is handling these files with no problems (lot better than Sage actually). I hope this would be true of the Echo, as well.
Is there any issues with MyMovies or Recorded TV HD with the Echo??

lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 am

Recorded TV plays perfectly. MKV's won't work out of the box, but there are work arounds. Don't expect ff/rw to work well with MKV's. MyMovies is very good. I personally prefer Media Browser. I use the MyMovies collection manager though. I haven't used Recorded TV HD in a while.