XBOX360 extender lag in menu and choppy tv playback

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Jade10145

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX360 extender lag in menu and choppy tv playback

Post by Jade10145 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Hey Guys,

So I recently re-imaged/erased my htpc to start from scratch. I reinstalled everything including the Ceton drivers, Media Browser and Shark 007 codecs. I also went ahead and reconnected my xbox360 as an extender. Previously the xbox was working without a hitch, pretty fast response when navigating the menus, live tv loaded pretty quickly, there was no choppiness. But now everything seems to be very laggy and choppy.

I am trying to figure out what's set up differently that would be causing the issue.

A few other things I recently changed. The xbox is connected via MOCA and I changed out the coax going into the adapter. I would think that this may be part of the problem, but another HTPC that I have connected in another room via the same coax (off of a splitter) is working just fine in terms of responsviness. I have also re-booted my router (which is the the main MOCA adapter- FIOS) as this has caused some issues in the past, but still no luck. I also added a ceton echo via ethernet that I am currently having some issues with but thats a story for another thread.

I am going to try to changing out the cable from the splitter to the moca adapter. But besides that any ideas? I was wondering if a homegroup had to be set up for the extender to work correctly. From my research so far it doesn't look like it needs to be.

Also as for the processor, it's an i5 so it should be powerful enough. Previosuly I had an I3 and even then it was powerful enough.
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

Jade10145

Post by Jade10145 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Checked the speed settings on the extended and everything looks good. Any other ideas?
Tyler Durden: It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

cme4oil

Post by cme4oil » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Since you have two extenders and one works fine, try swapping the extenders and see if the issue follows the extender or not.

Jade10145

Post by Jade10145 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Think I figured out the problem. It appears that you cant really use network tuners and extenders at the same time with the Ceton. Once I remove the networked out tuner from the main HTPC (set Ceton back to defaults), then the xbox extender works fine. Of course this means that the second HTPC no longer recieves live tv.

Kind of a let down. I am wondering if this is just a known issue with the Ceton, or there is something in my network that is causing the issue.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Jade10145 wrote: I am wondering if this is just a known issue with the Ceton, or there is something in my network that is causing the issue.
This is something in your network. Possible drivers for your NIC, or a bad cable. If there's a firmware update available for your router/switch, you might want to try applying that too.

Jade10145

Post by Jade10145 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:00 pm

cme4oil wrote:Since you have two extenders and one works fine, try swapping the extenders and see if the issue follows the extender or not.
good idea will have to try that.
foxwood wrote:
Jade10145 wrote: I am wondering if this is just a known issue with the Ceton, or there is something in my network that is causing the issue.
This is something in your network. Possible drivers for your NIC, or a bad cable. If there's a firmware update available for your router/switch, you might want to try applying that too.
NIC drivers should be up to date. Will check. Me thinks this maybe an issue with the onboard LAN and bonding with the ininitv. I have read in other forums that onboard nics, especially realtek, have some issues.