Tuning adapter issues after resume from sleep

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ahwman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuning adapter issues after resume from sleep

Post by ahwman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:56 pm

I've been struggling with two ongoing issues related to my HTPC coming out of sleep (InfiniTV PCI version). The first issue being that sometimes the tuner is not found upon resume from sleep which has in some cases caused me to lose an entire day of scheduled recordings. The second issue is with the tuning adapter whereby I won't have the ability to tune SDV channels upon resume from sleep. Both of these issues are intermittent but incredibly frustrating at the same time because there is no discernible pattern. To combat these issues, I'm using a VBS script provided by another user to detect/refresh a missing tuner upon resume and I wrote a simple BAT file to stop/start the tuning adapter service upon resume from sleep. I thought I had it figured out until today when I couldn't tune an SDV channel and checked the services only to find that the tuning adapter service was stuck "starting" and never did complete which forced me to reboot the machine. As a side note, I'm using the most current Windows 8 beta drivers as well as the most current beta firmware available for the InfiniTV to date. Naturally, I could keep my HTPC on 24/7, however besides the wasted energy/heat, it is located in my bedroom and the noise at night is too much to bare. I'm growing exhausted trying to solve these issues - I don't want to give up but I'm just not sure how much more energy I have to keep chasing these ghosts...

Ceton, please help! :cry:

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Not sure if these hints also apply to windows 8, but in windows 7 they do help quite a bit. In your case (windows 8) the power settings may help: http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... provements

From the Ceton website support article:
a. Open the control panel, navigate to the Power Options icon, and double click it
b. Note the power plan that is currently selected and choose "Change Plan Settings"
c. In the Edit Plan Settings dialog box choose "Change Advanced Power Settings"
d. In the list select "USB settings" and choose "USB selective suspend settings"; set "Plugged in" to Disabled

Note: Some USB Enhanced Controllers may not handle selective suspends accurately or can fail when other devices either don't support the feature or behave incorrectly. This can cause devices on that USB controller to lose connectivity. The above is intended to help with these issues and increase stability.
Time is on my side.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, however I had neglected to mention in my post that I have already applied these changes...

hsolo

Post by hsolo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:22 pm

ahwman-
I having a similar issue. Any chance you can post a link to, or info on the VBS script, and or bat file?
My computer will wake up, and want to record (shows the recording button in the notification area/system tray) but nothing records. I've had it happen twice. Both times I had something set to record, went to bed, got up the next day, and the computer was on, and wash showing the recording notification (red ball) in the notification area, (even says it is recording) but there is no recording, and it acts as if it has been recording a 30 minute or 1 hour show all night. If I try to go to live TV, I get the "no tuner available to satisfy the current request" message.
Only resolution I have found is a reboot. Then everything seems to work well. I just don't ever know if after the next time the computer goes to sleep whether my recording will work.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

hsolo wrote:ahwman-
I having a similar issue. Any chance you can post a link to, or info on the VBS script, and or bat file?
My computer will wake up, and want to record (shows the recording button in the notification area/system tray) but nothing records. I've had it happen twice. Both times I had something set to record, went to bed, got up the next day, and the computer was on, and wash showing the recording notification (red ball) in the notification area, (even says it is recording) but there is no recording, and it acts as if it has been recording a 30 minute or 1 hour show all night. If I try to go to live TV, I get the "no tuner available to satisfy the current request" message.
Only resolution I have found is a reboot. Then everything seems to work well. I just don't ever know if after the next time the computer goes to sleep whether my recording will work.
I'd be happy to, however it doesn't appear to be a reliable fix and I've therefor stopped using them. Wish I had better news...

TJBlues

Post by TJBlues » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 pm

Any update to this issue? I am having a very similar issue where WMC forgets that thre is a TA connected. This happens after 4 to 5 hours or after waking up from sleep. I have applied all the tweaks that I can find (including the USB one listed above). I disabled all firewalls. Just in case the service was being stopped I tweaked the services so that it would launch a program on first failure of the TA service and it never fails. I have a Hauppauge 2650 dual tuner (with card) and a Motorola MTR700 TA. I turned on logging (a patch from Hauppauge) and sent the logs to Hauppauge (thinking it was a problem with their proxy software) and they tell me there is nothing out of the ordinary in the logs. So I am stuck. I can get all the non-switched channels reliably but can't depend on WMC to recognize the TA. When I go to the Digital Tuner diags in media center and look at the "Tuning Resolver" it will show the MT700 when it is working correctly. When it is not working correctly I get a message that there is no resolver installed. Sorry for posting this in the Ceton area but I was thinking for dumping the Hauppauge and getting a Ceton just because of this issue. But if it also appears with Ceton then I am not going to spend the money.