Netflix - There is a problem with your account error

m0dul8r

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by m0dul8r » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 am

SilverRubicon wrote:While you may be having issues with Netflix, I don't think they're attributable to anything that Microsoft has done recently. Apart from the issues Netflix experienced last week, I would be very surprised if Microsoft has done anything on their end. I'd say that issues lie with your system. Not that it's user error, but something is wrong closer to home. I'd suggest taking a closer look at your system. Deleting cookies through IE, reinstall the plugin, reinstall silverlight, clean up with uninstaller/registry cleaner, and if that doesn't work it may be time to upgrade the OS. Vista's time has passed and it may be time to move to 7 or 8, depending on your extender needs. This may be more trouble than it's worth as I don't know how long Netfilx will be around for WMC. Maybe a better solution is a Roku or other supported device.

This is a fresh installation of Vista x64 ultimate.

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:11 am

n4mwd wrote:
m0dul8r wrote:I don't suspect this would be an issue with Windows 7 as Silverlight x64 updates work over version 5.1
OK, there's your problem, Vista is well known to be a POS. Wipe the drive with a low level format then install Win7. If you don't low level format, then there will be Vista junk still on there in a hidden partition. I have also heard you can start a Fedora install which will also nail the hidden partition, but that is not confirmed.

Regarding Silverlight, Netflix was working with version 4.5 before the latest mess. But 64 bit versions are clearly different.

I'm using 32 bit Win7 here for my WMC HTPC with absolutely no problems except when Netflix misbehaves. It does not get used for anything else except home theater stuff - not even web browsing. I'm spoiled rotten with the fast play feature. I'm also running on an Intel Atom dual core. And Yes, it plays HD just fine. I'm not sure what others use, but this combination works very well for me.
Windows 7 is just dumbed down vista with minor feature upgrades that end up depricating the software you've already purchased from microsoft (unless it's a hardware related upgrade like the usage of GPT.) You should probably format and run 64 bit (you don't even have to low level format). I seem to recall mentioning that I've built a new image just recently... I have 2 vista images that are doing the exact same thing on different netflix accounts with the WMC netflix plugin. Vista works great if you know how to use it and if Microsoft doesn't do things to get you to upgrade the operating system. Windows 8 is just dumbed down windows 7. True that microsoft products are bad at managing partitions and tables. You must be talking about GPT and UEFI... I have software for that...

At any rate - you say that Silverlight 4.5 worked fine before all this mess - Did you recieve an update and did the plugin begin working again? If so - what was the update and where did it come from?

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:46 pm

m0dul8r wrote:Windows 7 is just dumbed down vista with minor feature upgrades that end up depricating the software you've already purchased from microsoft (unless it's a hardware related upgrade like the usage of GPT.) You should probably format and run 64 bit (you don't even have to low level format). I seem to recall mentioning that I've built a new image just recently... I have 2 vista images that are doing the exact same thing on different netflix accounts with the WMC netflix plugin. Vista works great if you know how to use it and if Microsoft doesn't do things to get you to upgrade the operating system. Windows 8 is just dumbed down windows 7. True that microsoft products are bad at managing partitions and tables. You must be talking about GPT and UEFI... I have software for that...

At any rate - you say that Silverlight 4.5 worked fine before all this mess - Did you recieve an update and did the plugin begin working again? If so - what was the update and where did it come from?
You kind of answered your own question. Vista is well known to be a POS. A lot of people who bought new computers with it wiped it and installed XP over it. Images of a POS are also going to be a POS. I don't know how to make vista work and it doesn't look like you do either. Switch to win 7 and your WMC problems will go away.

I don't disagree about Win8. its too much of a toy operating system that looks like it was made by Tonka.

My 32 bit Win7 HTPC is locked with updates turned off. It works perfectly. There is no reason to mess with it by installing 64bit - which would also mean I have to install double the RAM to make it equivalent to what I already have.

My system was running fine on Silverlight 4.5 until the recent mess. Netflix suggested playing in Firefox so I did. It came up with something like "Plugins out of date click to fix" - so I did. It then downloaded and installed the new version of silverlight. However, its interesting that it didn't erase the old one. So I have both on there right now. Anyhow, Firefox played the movie so I went back to WMC and I still got the login error. Meanwhile, someone else suggested that I try uninstalling and reinstalling the Netflix app in WMC so I did. Use "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall it, then in Win 7 WMC, the tile is always there so I clicked it and it asked if I wanted to install Netflix and I said yes. WMC installed it automatically.

EDIT: I'm not totally convinced that WMC even uses Silverlight. I thought Silverlight was for web interface stuff - not regular apps - Kind of an HTML 5.0 stopgap.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:43 pm

WMC + Netflix does use Silverlight.

FYI... you should try to straighten out your account within IE not Firefox. The cookies set within IE directly affect WMC. Within IE, clear the cookies, login to netflix, play a movie, then try the Netflix plugin within WMC. If you've tried that... I think it's time to start from scratch with Windows 7 as I know for a fact that Netflix does work.

...and I've lost track of who is having what issues with which OS. So the above is more of a general comment.

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:14 pm

n4mwd wrote:
m0dul8r wrote:Windows 7 is just dumbed down vista with minor feature upgrades that end up depricating the software you've already purchased from microsoft (unless it's a hardware related upgrade like the usage of GPT.) You should probably format and run 64 bit (you don't even have to low level format). I seem to recall mentioning that I've built a new image just recently... I have 2 vista images that are doing the exact same thing on different netflix accounts with the WMC netflix plugin. Vista works great if you know how to use it and if Microsoft doesn't do things to get you to upgrade the operating system. Windows 8 is just dumbed down windows 7. True that microsoft products are bad at managing partitions and tables. You must be talking about GPT and UEFI... I have software for that...

You kind of answered your own question. Vista is well known to be a POS. A lot of people who bought new computers with it wiped it and installed XP over it. Images of a POS are also going to be a POS. I don't know how to make vista work and it doesn't look like you do either. Switch to win 7 and your WMC problems will go away.

I don't disagree about Win8. its too much of a toy operating system that looks like it was made by Tonka.

My 32 bit Win7 HTPC is locked with updates turned off. It works perfectly. There is no reason to mess with it by installing 64bit - which would also mean I have to install double the RAM to make it equivalent to what I already have.

My system was running fine on Silverlight 4.5 until the recent mess. Netflix suggested playing in Firefox so I did. It came up with something like "Plugins out of date click to fix" - so I did. It then downloaded and installed the new version of silverlight. However, its interesting that it didn't erase the old one. So I have both on there right now. Anyhow, Firefox played the movie so I went back to WMC and I still got the login error. Meanwhile, someone else suggested that I try uninstalling and reinstalling the Netflix app in WMC so I did. Use "Add/Remove Programs" to uninstall it, then in Win 7 WMC, the tile is always there so I clicked it and it asked if I wanted to install Netflix and I said yes. WMC installed it automatically.

EDIT: I'm not totally convinced that WMC even uses Silverlight. I thought Silverlight was for web interface stuff - not regular apps - Kind of an HTML 5.0 stopgap.
I don't care if people wiped and went to XP - they did it because they didn't understand Vista. Vista is more complex than XP and it wasn't exactly designed for standard users. You have to understand the windows environment - which is why microsoft made 7... They dumbed down Vista for "R" tards with a few tweaks. But did they include the same level of support for vista as they did 7? No. Because they want you to upgrade. It's called a "Revenue Generator" in their book. Seriously. Sign up for Microsoft's partner network and learn all about their "Revenue Generating" tactics. You can make Vista look however you want it to look - even like XP. You can get it to work just like XP. Microsoft released the TV pack but didn't release it to the general public - just system builders... Without it you can't watch clear QAM. But they did include it with 7. Why don't you upgrade to 8 and see if netflix works. Oh wait... they didn't even include it. Have fun suckling the shriveled old dried up teet of Microsoft.

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 pm

m0dul8r wrote:I don't care if people wiped and went to XP - they did it because they didn't understand Vista. Vista is more complex than XP and it wasn't exactly designed for standard users. You have to understand the windows environment - which is why microsoft made 7... They dumbed down Vista for "R" tards with a few tweaks. But did they include the same level of support for vista as they did 7? No. Because they want you to upgrade. It's called a "Revenue Generator" in their book. Seriously. Sign up for Microsoft's partner network and learn all about their "Revenue Generating" tactics. You can make Vista look however you want it to look - even like XP. You can get it to work just like XP. Microsoft released the TV pack but didn't release it to the general public - just system builders... Without it you can't watch clear QAM. But they did include it with 7. Why don't you upgrade to 8 and see if netflix works. Oh wait... they didn't even include it. Have fun suckling the shriveled old dried up teet of Microsoft.
If you want a complicated OS that wont generate revenue for M$, then go with Linux and Myth.

Otherwise, last I heard, you could download a legal copy of 7 from the microsoft site for $39. Might be 8. But yes, with 8, the WMC download is about $10 more.

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:20 pm

n4mwd wrote:
m0dul8r wrote:I don't care if people wiped and went to XP - they did it because they didn't understand Vista. Vista is more complex than XP and it wasn't exactly designed for standard users. You have to understand the windows environment - which is why microsoft made 7... They dumbed down Vista for "R" tards with a few tweaks. But did they include the same level of support for vista as they did 7? No. Because they want you to upgrade. It's called a "Revenue Generator" in their book. Seriously. Sign up for Microsoft's partner network and learn all about their "Revenue Generating" tactics. You can make Vista look however you want it to look - even like XP. You can get it to work just like XP. Microsoft released the TV pack but didn't release it to the general public - just system builders... Without it you can't watch clear QAM. But they did include it with 7. Why don't you upgrade to 8 and see if netflix works. Oh wait... they didn't even include it. Have fun suckling the shriveled old dried up teet of Microsoft.
If you want a complicated OS that wont generate revenue for M$, then go with Linux and Myth.

Otherwise, last I heard, you could download a legal copy of 7 from the microsoft site for $39. Might be 8. But yes, with 8, the WMC download is about $10 more.
Not interested in running Linux with the WMC remote. Perhaps you didn't read my previous quote... 8 doesn't include Netflix with WMC - Which I already have a license for but refuse to use because Microsoft wants me to pay for 8.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 pm

m0dul8r wrote: Perhaps you didn't read my previous quote... 8 doesn't include Netflix with WMC - Which I already have a license for but refuse to use because Microsoft wants me to pay for 8.
Don't know where you're getting your information, but Windows 8 does include Netflix with WMC. I just installed it and logged in. WMC is also free for the rest of the month.

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:35 am

SilverRubicon wrote:
m0dul8r wrote: Perhaps you didn't read my previous quote... 8 doesn't include Netflix with WMC - Which I already have a license for but refuse to use because Microsoft wants me to pay for 8.
Don't know where you're getting your information, but Windows 8 does include Netflix with WMC. I just installed it and logged in. WMC is also free for the rest of the month.
http://winsupersite.com/blog/supersite- ... s-8-142987

Among many other posts... I ran the free copy Microsoft pre-released of Windows 8 for awhile... couldn't stand the interface... You sure you didn't download the netflix app?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 pm

You do know that Windows 8 was actually made available to the Public in October, and that you're arguing with someone who has actually used the released product, based on your experience with a pre-released version and an article that was written over 7 months before the current production version of Media Center was available (unlike Windows 8 itself, Media Center wasn't available before General Release).

Maybe you're right. Maybe you're wrong. But you might want to be a little bit less brash at proclaiming "facts" based on old versions of the software that aren't in use any more (the Windows 8 Consumer Preview).

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:30 pm

foxwood wrote:You do know that Windows 8 was actually made available to the Public in October, and that you're arguing with someone who has actually used the released product, based on your experience with a pre-released version and an article that was written over 7 months before the current production version of Media Center was available (unlike Windows 8 itself, Media Center wasn't available before General Release).

Maybe you're right. Maybe you're wrong. But you might want to be a little bit less brash at proclaiming "facts" based on old versions of the software that aren't in use any more (the Windows 8 Consumer Preview).

The facts are that there is a netflix app - but I am unaware of any plugin for WMC for windows 8 for netflix. You used to be able to get your own netflix plugins for WMC like vmcNetflix - but those are super old and don't work anymore - Also - This same thing happened last year with vista x64 machines - Microsoft released a new plugin for Netflix - so many people couldn't get Netflix to work in WMC from the icon until they released it - now something has changed and they probably won't release another plugin for Vista... (Gee I wonder why.)
Last edited by m0dul8r on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Doesn't matter anyways - the world is ending tonight.... http://events.slooh.com/

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm

m0dul8r wrote: 8 doesn't include Netflix with WMC
m0dul8r wrote: but I am unaware of any plugin for WMC for windows 8 for netflix.
You seem to have modulated your position somewhat - is that how you got your handle?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:38 am

Here's a screenshot from Media Center on my Windows 8 desktop. I don't have a Netflix account, and I have not installed the Netflix app from the Windows App Store.
8MC.jpg
Fresh Windows 8 install - no Netflix Metro App

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:28 pm

foxwood wrote:Here's a screenshot from Media Center on my Windows 8 desktop. I don't have a Netflix account, and I have not installed the Netflix app from the Windows App Store.
8MC.jpg
Cool story bro - Have fun downloading WMC with 8 with your temporarily free license from Microsoft... they're gonna charge people in the future. It's already been ascertained that I was talking about the pre-release of 8. Fact remains - Microsoft still provides support for vista x64.... and they most likely aren't going to update their netflix plugin for it anytime soon.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:28 pm

Lets cool things off a bit folks.

In the end, we can summarize tHis extra conversation fairly easily: it's true all the w7/8 users are not having the sign in problem anymore. We have one vista user that reports the issue is persistant. And much like when the bug was happening in w7, m0dular, you are at the mercy of netflix and microsoft. Theres nothing that we can do to fix it on our own. Your choices are: 1) try to troubleshoot with the companies. 2) use a web browser to access netflix or 3) upgrade to w7. and to upgrade has to be your decision, because you have different opnions of the windows versions than most users.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:38 am

makryger wrote:I agree- unacceptable. But you get that with most companies- CS reps that are trained to follow a script, and not use actual problem solving techniques. So they are trained to say they do not support WMC, no matter what the truth is. The exact same thing happened last time- both MS and Netflix played the blame game.
Makry has seen this before... Tell us what you recall the last time this happened Makry.

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

makryger wrote:Lets cool things off a bit folks.

In the end, we can summarize tHis extra conversation fairly easily: it's true all the w7/8 users are not having the sign in problem anymore. We have one vista user that reports the issue is persistant. And much like when the bug was happening in w7, m0dular, you are at the mercy of netflix and microsoft. Theres nothing that we can do to fix it on our own. Your choices are: 1) try to troubleshoot with the companies. 2) use a web browser to access netflix or 3) upgrade to w7. and to upgrade has to be your decision, because you have different opnions of the windows versions than most users.
You're right - I'ld have to program a new plugin for WMC for vista x64 to get netflix to work again. 1 - We both know the first option will lead to a dead end. 2 - I can do this but then the IR Remote for WMC won't work with netflix 3 - This isn't an option - and here's why - I'm tired of purchasing new operating systems from Microsoft. They've done the same thing for years and years and it's old. They'll build an os like windows 3.1 then come out with something new - like 95 (which was awesome) 98 still had a large number of technical improvements and was a good os in my opinion - then they tried it again - with ME and it failed - hard... XP came out and revamped so much - the GUI no longer booted from a secondary operating system like DOS and used NT architecture - Big improvement. Then Vista... Vista was in itself revolutionary - I could go on but it did face a lot of hurdles and not all of those hurdles were addressed because Microsoft took their standard route of taking an older operating system and trying to "revamp it" or in the case with windows 8 "Re-imagine" it. Windows 7 was mainly GUI features that changed and 8 is basically no different. 7 came from Vista - 8 came from 7. You can see it in the architecture. They made configurability http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscripting ... tions.aspxa problem. What exactly happened with the network and sharing center for example? A huge problem with network locations within Vista that didn't get addressed other than removing the function completely within 8 and required the user to use DOS commands to adjust network properties. True you could do this with 7 and Vista but the problem wasn't addressed in either operating system support wise. 8 came under the pretense that it would be more suitable with newer windows phones and connectivity would be better under the cloud environment so it is clear that Microsoft has plans for improvement for the future but will they act on those plans? I guess we'll have to pay to find out, won't we? And when we do, will we actually see anyone claiming responsibility for developed software from the company? Probably not - we'll encounter #1 in the list - and they'll try and charge you their absorbent prices for that support and let you hash it out in the forums where you encounter countless trolls and people who don't listen. At any rate - here is what I remember - Image Back when people actually wanted Microsoft software - now it's pushed on them. Not that I haven't studied for Server 2012 or Windows 8 - but basically all of the same features are there just in a different GUI and minor technical changes like the usage of GPT as opposed to UEFI. To clarify - WMC was not included with the pre-release of 8 from MS (I got the enterprise version and it probably wouldn't run it anyways) and from a technical standpoint, how should I portray the newer OS considering what I've seen come out of MS before? Maybe the GNU license isn't such a bad idea at this point. Here's the bottom line - I saw advancements between 3.1, 95, 98, XP, and Vista but I see no major advancements from operating systems like ME, or 7, or 8 (other than GUI and hard drive space). Server 2012 is kinda cool though - with console only mode - reminds me of Unix. Taking all of this into consideration, do any of us ever remember Microsoft making a public release about being sorry about windows ME? Do you think they will do it in the future? Perhaps it isn't the OS that needs to be upgraded but the business model.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:48 am

are you being serious with those photos? you don't think something like the online availability of Win 8 had anything to do with it? just discredited the rest of your argument for me...

m0dul8r

Post by m0dul8r » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:28 pm

bobbob wrote:are you being serious with those photos? you don't think something like the online availability of Win 8 had anything to do with it? just discredited the rest of your argument for me...
i think windows 8 is primarily based on markets of pc manufacturers like Dell and HP, where users purchase a pc with an included OS. Why do you think Google is having a go with Chrome OS? They actually have a specially designed machine to run it... Not that machines you get from these places can't run other operating systems - but your average user doesn't know. Most of them will just go out and buy a new computer if they think something is wrong with theirs... Is market control manifested by the proliferation of one OS in a specific pc market the true reflection of an operating systems noteworthiness - or is it a time tested attribute? When windows 95 came out - it's true that online marketing hadn't reached it's full potential and digital downloads of the OS were limited to a select few... As they say - a picture says a thousand words... If windows 8 is so huge with online sales, why even have a Microsoft store for people to take a picture of? When I say online sales - I don't include manufacturer sales... I mean people who actually go and purchase a full copy of win8 - not the upgrade... upgrading is another story in itself. The point is people wanted windows 95... I don't know many people who wanted windows 8.