State of the Echo #2

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Motz

HTPC Specs: Show details

State of the Echo #2

Post by Motz » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:43 am

We are back once again with a brand new "State of the Echo"!!!!

Here is the link to all the goodness:
http://cetoncorp.com/blog/state-of-the-echo-2/
I Write, Code, and Tweet

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks for the update on the update!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

cncb

Post by cncb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:02 am

Sorry, but it is hard to get excited about mostly fixes for issues that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Still no firm commitment to Windows 8 and DTS support? I know you probably don't care but I wanted to get multiple Echos while the extended warranty was in place but I guess I will now have to pass on the Echo altogether...

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:10 am

Im not sure I would base an entire purchase decision on the length of the warranty...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:17 am

cncb wrote:Sorry, but it is hard to get excited about mostly fixes for issues that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Still no firm commitment to Windows 8 and DTS support? I know you probably don't care but I wanted to get multiple Echos while the extended warranty was in place but I guess I will now have to pass on the Echo altogether...
People have been asking for more detailed change logs and updates. There are better threads for complaints.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:20 am

A big part of my decision to purchase my Echos was based on the fact the company communicates. You may not be pleased with the fixes, but at least they talk to us about what they've done, what they're working on, and where they plan on going. Show me another company developing hardware that does that on a regular basis like Ceton. I can't think of one...

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:02 pm

cncb wrote:I know you probably don't care but I wanted to get multiple Echos while the extended warranty was in place but I guess I will now have to pass on the Echo altogether...
you often see this type of comment in new product forums. they make me smile.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks for the update, Motz. I'm pretty satisfied with my Echo at this point. There are still some features I would like to see... and most of those have already been posted on the Ceton Tracker. When they get all the little niggles ironed out, and especially when they release an Android update... I think the Echo will be very cool.

cncb

Post by cncb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:25 pm

bobbob wrote:you often see this type of comment in new product forums. they make me smile.
I know it's silly for me to say that but it is also silly how frustrating it is to not be able to get concrete information especially when they have a limited-time offer of an extended warranty and return period. The alternative is for me to purchase several of these, hope they add Windows 8 support very soon so I can actually test them, and then wait out the return period to see if they add DTS support. I may end up doing this but it could be potentially pretty wasteful for everyone involved (especially for me since I will have to buy a few AV receivers so I can actually hear audio from these).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 pm

I don't think Windows 8 is a priority. The majority of Ceton's user base are running Windows 7, and have no intention of "upgrading" to Windows 8.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:03 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I don't think Windows 8 is a priority. The majority of Ceton's user base are running Windows 7, and have no intention of "upgrading" to Windows 8.
The Echo is competing with a product that has a similar pricepoint, but that supports Windows 8. While I've always maintained that you'd have to be certificable to use an Extender that draws more power and is louder than your HTPC, there's no way I'd purchase any new extender that didn't support Windows 8, even though I'm not planning to upgrade to Windows 8 at this point in time.

I don't think the Echo is a viable product in the long term without Windows 8 support. I think Ceton probably agrees, and they're doing whatever they can to make it happen. But until it actually happens, the Echo won't be on my shopping list.

(I've already got 2 Linksys extenders, so I don't need an extender right now. If I was building a system for the first time, maybe I'd come to a different conclusion, but I think I'd end up stuck with the cablecos DVR for WAF reasons if the choice was between the XBox and the Echo as things currently stand).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Sure... in the long term, the Echo needs to support Win8. But not right now. I think you'd have to be certifiable to use Win8 right now.

cncb

Post by cncb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:27 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I think you'd have to be certifiable to use Win8 right now.
Yes, we know from the Win 8 thread that since you had trouble with it that anyone else would be crazy to use it.

Some of us have no problems with it and when it came time to buy an OS license for my server it would have been crazy to buy Win 7.

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:49 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I think you'd have to be certifiable to use Win8 right now.
Guess I'm an imbecile then. I'm using Window 8 and love it, using Xbox extenders. In my opinion, WMC8 is faster than WMC7 and the computer wakes a lot quicker. When the Echo supports Windows 8, I'll buy one. The problem I DO have is the Win 8 drivers for the Infinitv. They are very buggy. I'm running the Window 7 beta and it works great.

Sent from my Nokia 920 using Board Express
Last edited by pduncan1963 on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Regarding the two posts above (#13 and #14): Many of us refuse to use an XBox360 as an extender. For now, Win7 is the only option for non-Xbox extenders. Plus, based on all the other things I've read about Win8, there are too many pitfalls to make it worth the bother right now. If more interesting apps come out for the UI formerly known as "Metro", and those apps have a good 10' UI, then Win8 might become a more attractive option.

So... it's not simply because the install failed on my desktop PC. Obviously, I could try it again. It seemed that the problem with the install was the fact that my desktop has two SSD's configured as a RAID. Win8 didn't seem to like that one bit.

As to why I believe it's not a priority for Ceton to support Win8 at this time: Most of Ceton's potential customers for the Echo are already running Win7 and there is no advantage to those customers in upgrading to Win8 at the present time. Ceton needs to get it working right in Win7 before complicating things by adding what could possibly be an entirely different development path to support Win8. I'm sure that they will eventually work hard to support Win8 to protect their revenue stream for the foreseeable future. Without Win8 support, their brand new product would die with Win7.

To those of you who purchased an Echo to use with Win8: You should have read the info on their website before making your purchase. Complaining about how you bought the Echo and now it won't work with Win8 is akin to people who post negative product reviews because the product didn't have feature X, or it didn't work with configuration Y... when those facts were posted in the product details before you purchased.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:31 am

the way i see it is not that the echo wont work with win 8, its that win 8 wont work with the echo

normychas

Post by normychas » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 pm

is there any way to find a running list of features that are included in the echo. I want to keep track of the features and jump in when it has fast forward rewind support for mkv

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:25 am

I think it is time for State of the Echo #3? Are things still moving forward on the extender front (don't care much about the Android front)?

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 am

kingwr wrote:I think it is time for State of the Echo #3? Are things still moving forward on the extender front (don't care much about the Android front)?
Their latest tweet says it all.............

https://twitter.com/cetoncorp/status/292167085222666241

Ceton Corporation
‏@cetoncorp
@BFBluesMStev MIcrosoft has unfortunately disabled support for all extenders except Xbox 360 in Win8.
Reply Retweet Favorite More
RETWEETS

11:10 PM - 17 Jan 13
18 Jan MCE User ‏@51240086
@cetoncorp Does this mean that you have given up trying to get the Echo working with Windows 8? Will the echo never work with Windows 8?
Details

18 Jan Ceton Corporation ‏@cetoncorp
@51240086 Never say never. We're trying to figure out a way around Microsoft's changes.

JAS

Post by JAS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 am

And yet another reason why not to upgrade to Win8. MS sounds like they want to finally finish off Media Center once and for all. Shame, there was so much potential ahead of its time years ago now when it's finally the 'norm'.. poof, they seem to be wishing it would just vanish.