Volume control on Echo remote- what does it control?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
francorosso

HTPC Specs: Show details

Volume control on Echo remote- what does it control?

Post by francorosso » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:44 pm

It doesn't appear to be programmable so I can't use it to control my TV volume, and it doesn't control the WMC volume like the remote I bought and use with my WMC PC. What am I missing?

tad

Post by tad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:13 pm

I think eventually Ceton will be enabling CEC, which will (may?) let the echo control your TV/AVR's volume via the volume buttons.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:36 pm

That remote comes from another manufacturer that already uses it and includes it with their small form factor boxes intended for WMC use. Used directly with WMC, it adjusts volume.

That Ceton uses the remote is incidental in this, because the extender model doesn't have volume control built in.

If Ceton can find another way to use that outside of the extender model, great.

Frankly, I think the OrigenAE remote--with its TV power and volume learning keys--is a better remote for simple extender use.

francorosso

Post by francorosso » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Ahhhh, I need a bigger remote anyway, my wife already told me the echo remote won't cut it.

tad

Post by tad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:15 pm

francorosso wrote:Ahhhh, I need a bigger remote anyway, my wife already told me the echo remote won't cut it.
I actually don't mind the shape/size of the remote itself, but not having the letters above the number keys is a huge fail (on top of not being able to "learn" the volume buttons, of course) :-)

That said, I love the echo overall and have high hopes for continued improvements. I can always get another remote