Tuner Problem or WMC Problem?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
0Gravity

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tuner Problem or WMC Problem?

Post by 0Gravity » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi All,
I just got done typing up a very detailed explanation of my problem but when I went to post
it the website had logged me out, and when I signed back in my post was empty...Errr...so
here is a shortened (Hopefully) version!

I have a HTPC I built 2 years ago which has worked great until recently, two months ago or so
just ONE channel, our local OTA CBS station, decided it no longer wants to tune in within
WMC, I get the message..."Service is Unavailable. There is no tv signal for this
channel...etc...etc, keep in mind I have no Cable TV, just a set of Amplified Rabbit Ears to
pick up my local OTA HD stations, All other channels work fine! Also the problem channel
(CBS) comes in fine when I tune to it through the TV which is also hooked up to the same
antenna via a splitter (which I also tried removing and running the antenna cable strait into
the HTPC tuner, which made no difference at all)! CBS also comes in when I tune it in with
the tuner software that came with the Hauppauge tuner and the Hauppauge tuner signal meter
shows a full 30 for that station which is the highest it goes, so I think I ruled out a
signal strength problem, and a hardware problem seeing as the hardware seems to work fine on
other software which utilizes the same hardware, which leaves me with a problem in my WMC
setup...at least that is where my line of thinking is at! Maybe you all can give me other
things to try?

My HTPC system is a Gigabyte motherboard with a built in ATI Radeon 4290 graphics card, a
Hauppauge WinTv-HVR-2250 dual tuner, connected to a Phillips/Magnovox MANT300 amplified
rabbit ears antenna, all my local stations antennas (including the one with the problem) are
about 5 to 6 miles away and all in the same direction, according to tvfool.com, here is the
station info from my location
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... TV%26n%3d7

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue, please let me know if you need more info,
Mike

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:02 pm

There was a recent thread about a problem some users in Florida had where a particular channel was broadcast on 2 different frequencies, and one of those 2 was having a problem. For some reason, WMC picked the frequency that wasn't working, whereas the posters TV picked the frequency that was working.

I don't know if that's what's happening for you, but check out the thread - it might give you some pointers.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 pm

WOIO is listed as having a repeater and is on two different freqs.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=90

Go into edit channels and pick the station and then edit sources and disable the sources that you cant receive.

0Gravity

Post by 0Gravity » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Thanks for the info foxwood and dmagerl, I will read thru the post and give your suggestions a try and report back my results!

0Gravity

Post by 0Gravity » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 pm

YaaY! That did the trick! There were 4 sources listed, 2 for each tuner, they all had 100% strength but 2 of them were dead signals! I unchecked them and the channel immediatly started working! Thanks a bunch guys you saved me the cost and hasle of buying and installing a rooftop antenna, only to find out that wasnt my problem....because that was my next step if I didnt resolve the issue!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:09 am

:thumbup: