Evaluation time during first installation

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
mikesmithfl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Evaluation time during first installation

Post by mikesmithfl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi,
It would be nice to have more than just 15 minutes to install this app. If there's any trouble at all, you're going to take more than 15 minutes.
A free app to be sure it works is better, IMO. It only took me about 90 seconds to get the install done, but then the troubles started...

With only 15 minutes I had to do an uninstall and ask for a refund without knowing for sure if it would have worked. As it happened, when I went back to get the refund, there wasn't any place to go to ask for the refund. What's with that?

Frustrated,
Mike

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm

Mike,

The 15 minute limit is not a restriction of the Ceton Companion is it actually a Google Play policy that is for every single paid app on the Google Play marketplace. They put this in place a long time ago.

As far as the app if you have it installed for more than 15 minutes and are unable to return it and for some reason the app is not working or you are having issues we ask that you work with us to try to get them resolved. As you can see we have outstanding ratings on the marketplace and just about everyone is extremely satisfied with the app. However if for some reason you can not get it up and running I am able to issue a manual refund of the app. I have only had to do this maybe 2 times though ever as like I said people overall love the app.

I believe you did email me and I did email about 30 minutes ago and I responded as fast as I could to you, although you did not say what issues you were having.

let me know as I and the community of all the great people here at the TGB are here to help.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikesmithfl

Post by mikesmithfl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:52 pm

That stuff about the 15 minutes is good to know. I don't remember hearing that before, thought it was optional per developer.

I'm definitely willing to give it a go again. Without the rush, it will probably be much easier to get this working.

I've got a GN4 and Asus TF300T - is the charge per device or per app?

I'm going to try it on the tablet again before the phone. Should be just a few more minutes - I hadn't uninstalled it from the PC so won't have to redo that part.
I'll start a new topic if I've got the same troubles again.

Thanks for the support.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Google actually used to allow 24 hours for all paid apps back when they first started but then did a hard 15 minute trial, which makes it worthless for games seeing you sometimes have to download a few hundred megs of data. However things are so cheap I don't really mind too much anymore. The only way is to create a "free trial" app which actually cutters up the app store a bunch, but we are looking into this.

Here is googles official "return policy" for all apps in google play: http://support.google.com/googleplay/bi ... wer=134336

Other app stores are odd as well. Apple has no return period (you can go through so crazy route to request a refund and they get to decide). Windows Phone has no refund either from what I can tell, but they do have a "built in" trial that developers can implement. Then you have Window Store Apps for Windows 8 which developers can actually specify a trial period of a specific amount of days which is really cool and easy on the developer.

I emailed you a bunch of trouble shooting stuff to hopefully get it up and going.

The app is per account so as long as you are logged in on with the same gmail you can download it on as many devices you would like. That is assume they are all in the same operating system and the same app store. So if you had an Android Tablet and Apple iPhone then those are completely separate so you would need to buy it on each.

I hope this helps.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikesmithfl

Post by mikesmithfl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Yes it helps. I guess this sort of thing happens whenever a new system gets set up, especially when it's got so many different big companies involved.

When the dust settles, it should be nice though.