Display errors and other instability issues

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fiteclub

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display errors and other instability issues

Post by fiteclub » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:58 am

Well I have been playing with the Echo for a while now with the latest beta firmware. First, the good news: the video quality is much better than earlier fw versions. Now the less than good news; this extender firmware still needs some work...it is not "robust" (at least in my setup). The Echo locks up quite often. It is pretty stable while actually viewing video, but while maneuvering thru WMC, it will frequently lock up (no response to remote commands). This happens while scrolling thru the guide, or moving to different parts WMC. It also does not like the TV to be turned off while WMC is still running. If I turn the TV back on, the Echo has frequently locked up (The HTPC was never off during these tests). If I turn the TV off while the Echo is playing protected content, I either get an HDCP "Display Error" when I turn the TV back on, or the Echo "connect" screen is on which I guess means it has reboot itself. If I am watching unprotected content like Network TV, then the video seems to still be playing. My TV is a 2012 Samsung PN43E450 plasma display.

BTW, I have been using a Xbox as an extender for quite some time and have not observed any of these issues using it.
Last edited by fiteclub on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikbro

Post by mikbro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:11 am

How is your echo connected to your mce (your network setup)? Re: the lockup, or in my case the lack of response to remote presses, I have seen this type of behavior with my 360 when my connection has been marginal (I have a wireless n dual band router to an access point and wired from the access point to the 360 on that tv). Improving my network connection resolves the issue in that case.

I have not seen the behavior you are seeing on the latest echo firmware (though that tv is wired via ethernet over power, not wireless).

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:31 am

mikbro wrote:How is your echo connected to your mce (your network setup)? Re: the lockup, or in my case the lack of response to remote presses, I have seen this type of behavior with my 360 when my connection has been marginal (I have a wireless n dual band router to an access point and wired from the access point to the 360 on that tv). Improving my network connection resolves the issue in that case.

I have not seen the behavior you are seeing on the latest echo firmware (though that tv is wired via ethernet over power, not wireless).
Fully connected through a wired ethernet connection direct to router. BTW, how does your echo behave if you turn off your display?

mikbro

Post by mikbro » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:55 am

On the current FW, turning off my display works fine (earlier FW also resulted in a green tinge to the video - I could still see the screen and use it, just everything was shades of green). I am 99% sure this has been resolved in the latest FW, but need to do more tests to confirm. That was the only issue I had with turning the display on/off and leaving the echo on.

This is on an older Panasonic th-50pz80u (3-4 years old?). I just ordered another echo which will go in the living room on my one year old Samsung PN64D7000. We will see how that goes soon :-)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:22 pm

I'm fairly sure that many of those problems will go away after you hook up to the Samsung. Have you contacted Panasonic for any suggestions?

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:35 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I'm fairly sure that many of those problems will go away after you hook up to the Samsung. Have you contacted Panasonic for any suggestions?
Crash,
Reread the thread. I am the one having the problems and my set is a brand new Samsung.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:41 pm

mikbro wrote:On the current FW, turning off my display works fine (earlier FW also resulted in a green tinge to the video - I could still see the screen and use it, just everything was shades of green). I am 99% sure this has been resolved in the latest FW, but need to do more tests to confirm. That was the only issue I had with turning the display on/off and leaving the echo on.

This is on an older Panasonic th-50pz80u (3-4 years old?). I just ordered another echo which will go in the living room on my one year old Samsung PN64D7000. We will see how that goes soon :-)

I'm fairly sure that many of those problems will go away after you hook up to the Samsung. Have you contacted Panasonic for any suggestions?

Sorry Fiteclub, I was commenting on this, I should have Quoted it to begin with.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:18 pm

fiteclub wrote:Well I have been playing with the Echo for a while now with the latest beta firmware. First, the good news: the video quality is much better than earlier fw versions. Now the less than good news; this extender firmware still needs some work...it is not "robust" (at least in my setup). The Echo locks up quite often. It is pretty stable while actually viewing video, but while maneuvering thru WMC, it will frequently lock up (no response to remote commands). This happens while scrolling thru the guide, or moving to different parts WMC. It also does not like the TV to be turned off while WMC is still running. If I turn the TV back on, the Echo has frequently locked up (The HTPC was never off during these tests). If I turn the TV off while the Echo is playing protected content, I either get a DHCP "Display Error" when I turn the TV back on, or the Echo "connect" screen is on which I guess means it has reboot itself. If I am watching unprotected content like Network TV, then the video seems to still be playing. My TV is a 2012 Samsung PN43E450 plasma display.

BTW, I have been using a Xbox as an extender for quite some time and have not observed any of these issues using it.
I did get that HDCP "Display Error" too. Even though I am connected to what I beleive is a HDCP compliant TV (it's just a few days old). Don't know why. I just thought that maybe the Native or 1080p settings of the Echo are not quite finished yet, maybe a couple kinks to work out, so I switched over to 720 again. All of a sudden, I have nothing to complain about. Well, with the exception of the SD channels 2,3,4 which nobody watches anyway. Did you get the green line yet?

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 am

Crash2009 wrote:
fiteclub wrote:Well I have been playing with the Echo for a while now with the latest beta firmware. First, the good news: the video quality is much better than earlier fw versions. Now the less than good news; this extender firmware still needs some work...it is not "robust" (at least in my setup). The Echo locks up quite often. It is pretty stable while actually viewing video, but while maneuvering thru WMC, it will frequently lock up (no response to remote commands). This happens while scrolling thru the guide, or moving to different parts WMC. It also does not like the TV to be turned off while WMC is still running. If I turn the TV back on, the Echo has frequently locked up (The HTPC was never off during these tests). If I turn the TV off while the Echo is playing protected content, I either get a DHCP "Display Error" when I turn the TV back on, or the Echo "connect" screen is on which I guess means it has reboot itself. If I am watching unprotected content like Network TV, then the video seems to still be playing. My TV is a 2012 Samsung PN43E450 plasma display.

I did get that HDCP "Display Error" too. Even though I am connected to what I beleive is a HDCP compliant TV (it's just a few days old). Don't know why. I just thought that maybe the Native or 1080p settings of the Echo are not quite finished yet, maybe a couple kinks to work out, so I switched over to 720 again. All of a sudden, I have nothing to complain about. Well, with the exception of the SD channels 2,3,4 which nobody watches anyway. Did you get the green line yet?
No worries on the above post (I guess I should have reread the post myself!!)

As for the green line, yes I get it intermittently, but it either goes away fairly quickly or if I pause or stop the playback and then restart, it goes away. I will try 720p and see if I get the HDCP error. What worries me more is that the Echo restarts itself if I turn my Samsung off and then back on while playing/watching video. It does this more often than giving the HDCP error. I would like to be able to turn off my Samsung and leave the Echo on but can't do that right now.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 am

mikbro wrote:On the current FW, turning off my display works fine (earlier FW also resulted in a green tinge to the video - I could still see the screen and use it, just everything was shades of green). I am 99% sure this has been resolved in the latest FW, but need to do more tests to confirm. That was the only issue I had with turning the display on/off and leaving the echo on.
I am on the latest firmware and when I change HDMI inputs on my amp I'm getting video with a green tinge. The only way to fix it is to reboot the Echo.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 am

fiteclub wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:

No worries on the above post (I guess I should have reread the post myself!!)

As for the green line, yes I get it intermittently, but it either goes away fairly quickly or if I pause or stop the playback and then restart, it goes away. I will try 720p and see if I get the HDCP error. What worries me more is that the Echo restarts itself if I turn my Samsung off and then back on while playing/watching video. It does this more often than giving the HDCP error. I would like to be able to turn off my Samsung and leave the Echo on but can't do that right now.
When is the last time you booted the HTPC? Maybe you have a surprise update getting in your way.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:23 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:
I am on the latest firmware and when I change HDMI inputs on my amp I'm getting video with a green tinge. The only way to fix it is to reboot the Echo.
I havn't seen that one yet. Is the green tinge "amp related"?

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 am

It doesn't happen with any of my other components so I don't think the amp is the issue. Some have reported leaving the Echo on and having the green tinged video when turning the TV back on. In my case, I have an HDMI port assigned to an auxiliary input so I can watch TV and listen to my Sonos player. When I switch from this input to the HDMI input the Echo is connected to I get the green video. It's not that big of a deal, just a little annoying.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:22 am

Crash2009 wrote:
When is the last time you booted the HTPC? Maybe you have a surprise update getting in your way.
Very recently; one of the first things I do when troubleshooting.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:It doesn't happen with any of my other components so I don't think the amp is the issue. Some have reported leaving the Echo on and having the green tinged video when turning the TV back on. In my case, I have an HDMI port assigned to an auxiliary input so I can watch TV and listen to my Sonos player. When I switch from this input to the HDMI input the Echo is connected to I get the green video. It's not that big of a deal, just a little annoying.
I havn't seen the green tinge yet. I just have one TV in the Hobby room. I have WMC, WME, and Coax connected. My TV (Best Buy cheapo) switches between inputs with no problems. When I shut my TV off, and then back on, it just goes back to where it left off. The switching part of things is working good.

I have stayed away from my HDMI-1-DVI. Wonder if I could re-create green tinge that way.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 am

fiteclub wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
Very recently; one of the first things I do when troubleshooting.
No wonder it takes me so long to fix everything. I usually don't find those updates until I get pissed and shut it off. :lol:

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 am

I wanted to update all on what appears to be a DHCP issue with the Echo. At least on my Samsung display. I have installed the latest beta firmware (2012.1219.1030) and here are the symptoms.

If I am watching either live TV or recorded TV that is marked as "Copy Free" (00) as displayed in my InfiniTV4 tuner status page everything works fine. I can turn off the power to the display and then turn it back on and the video is still playing. However, if I am watching a program that is protected (in my case with Time Warner, everything is flagged "One Copy" (0x02) except for network programming, NBC,ABC, CBS, FOX and PBS) and I turn off the display and then turn it back on, the Echo reboots and connects to the WMC HTPC. This is unacceptable in my opinion. Can anyone else test this? Please make sure you are testing with a copy protected signal.

BTW, I no longer get the HDCP display error as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:36 am

I think I can confirm something similar to what you are saying. When I turn on the Echo and go to Live TV (a protected channel Cinemax 319), WME tells me to Update PlayReady. So I click update, and update refuses saying:

PlayReady may not be installed from a Media Center Extender. Install PlayReady directly from your Media Center PC.

So I back out of the PlayReady refusal, then pick up the remote for the TV and go to WMC and surprise surprise there is PlayReady expecting me to Update. So I go ahead and update, then test the Cinemax 319 from WMC, it works. I'll leave it playing and grab the TV remote again and switch HDMI back to Echo and I get nothing out of 319-just a blank WMC blue screen-(not a BSOD) just a blank blue screen. Then change the channel to 320 and it plays, then change the channel to 319 and it plays. Now I am going back to try to simulate what you are suggesting. Shut off the TV and turn it back on again and it works. Tried it a second time and and my secondery monitor flashed and this post got moved to the primary monitor, so I had to grab the TV remote again and HDMI switch my way back to WMC, then drag this post back to the secondary monitor. OK now I see how I can duplicate this for myself.

I have to ON/OFF the TV twice to loose what I am displaying on a secondary monitor. But on the upside, Echo still plays for me anyway. For me, as long as I don't ON/OFF twice everything is ok.

Three ON/OFF's in a row gives me an HDCP Error. Why anyone would want to do that I don't know. I was just trying to duplicate the problem you explained, and I cannot.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:48 am

Crash2009 wrote:I think I can confirm something similar to what you are saying. When I turn on the Echo and go to Live TV (a protected channel Cinemax 319), WME tells me to Update PlayReady. So I click update, and update refuses saying:

PlayReady may not be installed from a Media Center Extender. Install PlayReady directly from your Media Center PC.

So I back out of the PlayReady refusal, then pick up the remote for the TV and go to WMC and surprise surprise there is PlayReady expecting me to Update. So I go ahead and update, then test the Cinemax 319 from WMC, it works. I'll leave it playing and grab the TV remote again and switch HDMI back to Echo and I get nothing out of 319-just a blank WMC blue screen-(not a BSOD) just a blank blue screen. Then change the channel to 320 and it plays, then change the channel to 319 and it plays. Now I am going back to try to simulate what you are suggesting. Shut off the TV and turn it back on again and it works. Tried it a second time and and my secondery monitor flashed and this post got moved to the primary monitor, so I had to grab the TV remote again and HDMI switch my way back to WMC, then drag this post back to the secondary monitor. OK now I see how I can duplicate this for myself.

I have to ON/OFF the TV twice to loose what I am displaying on a secondary monitor. But on the upside, Echo still plays for me anyway. For me, as long as I don't ON/OFF twice everything is ok.

Three ON/OFF's in a row gives me an HDCP Error. Why anyone would want to do that I don't know. I was just trying to duplicate the problem you explained, and I cannot.
Thanks for trying; having a hard time picturing your setup, but I trust you are reproducing my actions. My feeling is that this problem may be display specific and/or maybe even cable provider specific. I have asked Ceton support about it but have not received a reply yet.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:33 am

I haven't actually put the Echo's into service yet. They are still on the test bench. Echo 1,2, and HTPC are connected to TV via HDMI. HTPC also has a secondary monitor connected by VGA. Echo 1,2, and HTPC are connected to the switch by ethernet. Both TV and HTPC are connected to the cable amp. Not that complicated really. I realise this is not a normal setup. Originally I tried to get this going in the living room on the main TV but got frustrated having to make an appointment every time I wanted to upgrade the firmware, so I bought a cheap TV for the Hobby Room and now I can do what I want, when I want, without interupting anyones TV time.
Attachments
TEST_BENCH_001.jpg