Echo turns ON after power failure

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo turns ON after power failure

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

I live in Florida. We have frequent momentary power outages in my area. They usually last less than 2 seconds. I have a big UPS on my HTPC, and another UPS on my networking equipment. But I don't want to buy a UPS for every TV in the house.

When the power goes out momentarily, the Echo turns ON. This wakes my HTPC, and keeps it on all day long (while I'm away).

I noticed it when I came home today. The clock on my stove was blinking 6:43. That means that it was 6 hours, 43 minutes since the power failure. My HTPC was on, and so was the Echo. I looked at the event log on the HTPC, and saw that the Echo connected at 9:01:48am. That corresponds exactly with the time on the clock on the stove.

The Echo should return to the previous power state after a power failure. If this is not possible, then it should return to OFF after a power failure.

I reported this as Bug #470 on the Ceton bug tracker.

Funny thing is that my HP extenders might be doing the same thing. I never correlated it with a power outage, but the HP X280N has a reputation for magically turning itself on. For this reason, I installed a smart power strip on every TV that has an HP X280N connected to it. This causes the power to be removed from the HP extender every time the TV is turned off.

The problem is that powering off the HP causes the startup time to be longer (about 77 seconds, if my memory is correct). When the HP is in "sleep" mode, it only takes 28 seconds (I tested this today).

My main reason for wanting an Echo is to have a faster startup time (less than 15 seconds would be nice). Right now, my Echo takes 44 seconds. If Ceton doesn't fix the problem with powering on after a power failure (and also add a "sleep" mode to speed up the startup time), I think I'll just keep my HP extenders and put a UPS on them.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:00 am

I think that is a realistic expectation. I assume right now that it is acting like an unplug/re-plug so it is rebooting.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 am

If I remember correctly, when I first got the Echo, I had to unplug/re-plug in order to trigger a firmware update. But, it didn't power on by itself after being plugged in. I had to press the power button on the remote to turn it on after plugging it in. Now, it just turns on after being plugged in.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 am

Ahhh hmmm yeah maybe they changed something for initial statup stuff. I'm not positive, but I will ask around.
I Write, Code, and Tweet