The Pros & Cons of XBox

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
slowbiscuit

HTPC Specs: Show details

The Pros & Cons of XBox

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Nothing to see here, move along, unnecessary topic split. It would be a lot nicer to issue an OT warning than to create a topic that I had no intent of creating in my name.

[Moderator note: topic split from http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=3763]
Last edited by slowbiscuit on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:15 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:The current Xbox Slim is neither noisy nor complicated because it can be set to boot straight into WMC. It is too power hungry to leave on all the time, but it works great as an extender.
sorry, but it is actually noisy

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:51 pm

bobbob wrote:
slowbiscuit wrote:The current Xbox Slim is neither noisy nor complicated because it can be set to boot straight into WMC. It is too power hungry to leave on all the time, but it works great as an extender.
sorry, but it is actually noisy
My XBOX slim was much quieter than the last jet engine. But, it does suck power, and in a bedroom it doesn't work well. Although less powerful, the Linksys DMA2100, Apple TV, or Roku are the types of devices that people likely want (use less power, silent, can always be left on). I never wanted the XBOX for games, just as an extender. The issue of having to buy a premium account to watch Netflix made my decision to dump the XBOX easy.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 pm

i can't compare but to me the newest xbox 360 is audible, moreso than the HTPC and the PS3 slim. i'm hoping to use the echo while MC is still a goer, xbmc on raspberry pi as a challenging alternative. fanless, 24/7 power is what i want

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:41 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:The current Xbox Slim is neither noisy
The Xbox Slim I had for about a week was horrible, with three components to its noise signature, one a high-pitched warbling. With its fans in the console and power brick, It was just as bad in its own way as the "Jasper" hair dryer with its twin console fans I had for a couple of days. I've always thought Microsoft should be embarrassed by the Xbox, and I've always been amazed people have actually kept these things. Note that I couldn't tell you if the DVD drive is noisy, because I never put a disc in either one. I'm talking about the fans, which ran from the moment I turned the Xboxes on and never shut off until I powered them down. There was no shortage of Youtube videos complaining about the Slim's noise level, and I assume that like the allegedly quieter "Jasper", they're all horrible WRT noise.

Other cons include the most highly directional IR receiver I've ever seen, size, power usage, and cost.

The one pro is that its extender functionality did work.

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Wow, I have three Xbox 360 slims and I would have to have my tvs on mute to even hear them. I have been pretty happy with them. My launch unit on the other hand was like a jet engine :D

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Exactly, same here. Noise is overblown IMO, but some are more sensitive to it than others. Power is another matter, it draws way too much to be left on all the time. But given that mine boots into WMC in less than 45 secs., it's no big deal.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:24 pm

to be fair i do have a bit of a beef with people saying its silent / not noisy / whatever you want. I bought my slim off the back of hearing someone say that on this board's predecessor. I was disappointed at the noise and I've barely used it as a result.

so whenever i see someone on here saying xbox360's are silent / quiet / whatever i will jump in and give them the other side of the story because no-ones going to be disappointed about buying an xbox360, getting it home and finding its quieter than they hoped are they?