Router and Switch Adjustments for Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Router and Switch Adjustments for Echo

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:23 am

I read a lot of suggestions this week regarding router and switch adjustments.

The first one was bypass the switch and plug in the HTPC and the Echo in to the router, then as soon as Echo gives you an IP, DMZ the Echo in the router. I think the idea was to simplify troubleshooting and eliminate the switch as a possibility for error, and DMZ as a fast and simple port forward so the Echo can reach the update server. Can someone suggest the correct way to port forward the Echo. I would prefer to just open the ports that Echo needs, rather than being wide open.

I have noticed that live TV plays better (perfectly) when the HTPC and the Echo are plugged in the router, compared to being plugged in to the switch.

I have a managed switch that I don't know how to manage. Yeah I have a management console, with Putty, TFTP, HTTPS, and all that good stuff. But is there some configuration that needs to be done to the switch ports that are connected to the Echo's and HTPC?
Attachments
USAGE_STATS_002.jpg