Two video streams to two extenders will not play

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
bsilvertab

HTPC Specs: Show details

Two video streams to two extenders will not play

Post by bsilvertab » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:29 pm

I have one Win 7 HTPC setup with a Ceton tuner. In two other rooms I have Xbox 360's setup as extenders. For some reason I can only use one extender at a time. Both will load up successfully but only one will stream video, either recorded or live TV. Example, XBOX 1 is started up and I start playing a recorded show. XBOX 2 is started up and another recording is selected for playback. When hitting play I just get the spinning wheel that sits there forever. Same result when it comes to live TV, and tuners are available. I tried removing and readding the Windows Media Center software from the HTPC. Same results. I also removed and readded the extenders, same results.

What could be effecting the playback from the PC to the extenders? I have a gigabit network so I know it is not a network issue.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:01 pm

The Xbox 360 does not support gigabit so it can be more problems than good. Have you adjusted your nic settings? There are a few threads on it already. What are you playing the video from, a single drive, nas box?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Shot in the dark...something amiss with the HDD on the HTPC could cause this, no? I would think something network related, but if those are all fine check the HDD.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Do you have another Win7 machine on the network that you could try pairing the XBoxes to, just to verify that it's not a networking problem?

bsilvertab

Post by bsilvertab » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm 100% sure it is not a network problem and I'm 99% sure the hard drives are fine. Everything works great except playback from the second extender. What service actually does the streaming?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

bsilvertab wrote:I'm 100% sure it is not a network problem and I'm 99% sure the hard drives are fine. Everything works great except playback from the second extender. What service actually does the streaming?
Did you ever head the old saying "measure twice, cut once"? I'm suggesting you should expand your testing before you screw up your PC. But go ahead - you're 100% sure.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

bsilvertab wrote:I'm 100% sure it is not a network problem and I'm 99% sure the hard drives are fine. Everything works great except playback from the second extender. What service actually does the streaming?
A cheap gigabit switch can cause all kinds of headaches. I had constant network problems until I got my HP Procurve. It sure sounds like a hardware problem of some sort. You could try to update your nic driver. If you really think the issue is Media Center, you can repair the system files. Open a command prompt as administrator and run:

sfc /scannow

Thank can fix a lot of issues. The only down side I have seen is you might have to fix the Media Center menu if you previously customized it.

bsilvertab

Post by bsilvertab » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:50 pm

I know what you are saying...

I have tried using different switches, network cables, all with the same results. The network test from the XBox shows great connectivity. If I had a drive issue I would be getting jumpy video, blue screens, errors in the event viewer. Things like that. None of that is occurring. It happens from two different Xboxs, it doesn't matter which one is started first. Very odd indeed.

I did run this command and the issue persists, sfc /scannow.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Sounds like a network problem to me.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:40 pm

What kind of CPU is in your HTPC? Windows needs 1 CPU core per TV connected, so in your case, you need a 3 core CPU to run all 3 TV's at once.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:57 pm

blueiedgod wrote:What kind of CPU is in your HTPC? Windows needs 1 CPU core per TV connected, so in your case, you need a 3 core CPU to run all 3 TV's at once.
No, Windows doesn't NEED 1CPU core per TV - Microsoft has been recommending one core per extender for years, but the system will still work (harder) if you don't have one core per Extender.

masonstorm1979

Post by masonstorm1979 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 pm

If you are happy your media center system plays back content without issue especially Live TV then I would be looking at the common factors, network card and switch / router. I would simplify the setup by using one switch / router for your network, possibly disable the firewall on the media PC to rule this out also. I would test DLNA connectivity also to isolate the issue to media center only. If you use media player to set-up sharing and then try running some video via the xbox 360 dashboard system video player. If this streams without issue you can rule out network issues and tick off the network card, switch / router, cabling etc. This is a good test. Media center uses RDP terminal services to stream content to the xbox using local accounts MCX-User1 etc etc. It could be RDP issues only!!!! This would screw up performance to an extender.

Let me know you get on with the tests.