XBOX 360 basic console - Walmart $150

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jziggity

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX 360 basic console - Walmart $150

Post by jziggity » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 pm

For what it is worth, I tried my hand at the Echo, I really did, but I cannot pass up on this deal. Walmart has the XBOX 360 basic console package going for $150 right now. Since I already paid $180 each for 2 Echos that just aren't cutting it, I'd be a fool not to return those and just turn around and buy 2 new XBOX's. When I checked with the local Gamestop, they wanted $180 for a USED XBOX 360. Say what?!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xbox-360-4GB-Console/14917960

As a side note/question, I want to use my Harmony 670 to control Media Center on the XBOX. I'm assuming that will be handled via the Harmony setup software, and I don't need to purchase anything additional to get it to work with the XBOX right out of the box?

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:54 pm

I swear to god, it said $150. I put 2 of them in my shopping cart, and by the time I clicked to check out, it had gone up to $179.96. Really, was I not fast enough?

werds

Post by werds » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:03 pm

You are right it did say $150 I had seen this earlier today. Also, yes just use the Harmony software to setup the remote for use with your Xbox as an MCE remote.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:30 pm

Funny what you said about the price of a used Xbox at Game Stop. A few years ago, I was looking for some 32" LCD TV's for my kids' rooms. I went to pawn shops, and they wanted more for a 5-10 year old TV than I could get a new one for at WalMart. They wouldn't budge on the price, and seemed to not believe me that they were cheaper NEW at WalMart. It's hard to imagine that someone would be dumb enough to pay more for a used TV than they would pay for a new one.

In your case... you can pay $180 for a used one at Game Stop... or $180 for a new one at Wal Mart. If the one from Game Stop comes with some free stuff, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, buy new.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:06 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I went to pawn shops, and they wanted more for a 5-10 year old TV than I could get a new one for at WalMart. They wouldn't budge on the price, and seemed to not believe me that they were cheaper NEW at WalMart. It's hard to imagine that someone would be dumb enough to pay more for a used TV than they would pay for a new one.
I've watched Pawn Stars - I have no problem imagining that many of the people who shop in pawn shops have no concept of the real price of things!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:24 pm

foxwood wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I went to pawn shops, and they wanted more for a 5-10 year old TV than I could get a new one for at WalMart. They wouldn't budge on the price, and seemed to not believe me that they were cheaper NEW at WalMart. It's hard to imagine that someone would be dumb enough to pay more for a used TV than they would pay for a new one.
I've watched Pawn Stars - I have no problem imagining that many of the people who shop in pawn shops have no concept of the real price of things!
I guess it's like people who finance their cars at buy-here-pay-here lots. A typical place like that in my area will sell a car that's worth about $3K for $850 down, plus $75/week for 20 months (86 weekly payments). That adds up to $7300.00 for the $3000 car (with $2150 financed), and an interest rate of 180%. Then, when the poor fool discovers that they can't afford $325/month for a 10-year-old used car (75 * 52 / 12 = 325), it gets repossessed and the dealer sells it again for a huge profit... often after the first buyer has already paid more than the car was worth to begin with! People who finance at these places are usually poor, and have bad credit... so if they can't afford a new car, then they certainly can't afford an old used one at the same monthly payment as a new one (plus repairs).

I found this out when I was shopping for a used car for my son (his first car). I wanted to pay cash, and I found a car at a used car lot that was a pretty good deal if I paid cash. I was just a little short, so I asked the dealer if he was willing to take payments for a month or two. He said, "No, that's not how it works. You either pay cash for the car, or you pay me $850 down and $75 a week." There was no other option to pay for it, except for cash up-front, or their "terms". I told the guy he was crazy. I couldn't imagine anyone agreeing to those terms. I guess there must be enough stupid/desperate people in the world to fall for it though, or they wouldn't be in business.

Cinnman

Post by Cinnman » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:23 am

check the tech bargains web site (just google it) daily in am. I got one for 150 with free shipping====the deals come and go pretty fast, but are brand new xbox 4gb slim models. They also have other bundle deals but for an extender this was best $. If you care, there is often a 12 month gold membership for 39 bucks too.

you don't have to search thru all the ads, just click down thru electronics, gaming, subcategory xbox. Some of it is luck, since when I went back to look at the deal a second time in about an hour it was already expired.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 am

barnabas1969 wrote:In your case... you can pay $180 for a used one at Game Stop... or $180 for a new one at Wal Mart. If the one from Game Stop comes with some free stuff, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, buy new.
Personally I would never buy a used xbox fearing that the device may be console banned. (unusable for gaming online, probably usable ONLY as an extender if console banned)... There ARE some very quick/interesting deals out there... lowest I had seen a new 4gb model was $139.00, usual "low bargain price" is ~$160.00. Normal walmart price is ~$180.00
Time is on my side.