HDHR3 and pixelation

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDHR3 and pixelation

Post by werds » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:47 am

OK so I recently replaced my older ATI HD650 TVwonders with 2 HDHR3 tuners in hopes of decluttering and keeping my clearqam channel recordings going. Unfortunately I am now seeing pixelation quite heavily on all recordings from the HDHR3 tuners. Pixelation that I do not see on my Ceton InfinTV nor that I ever saw on the HD650's. The signal strength is actually good and I am not certain where the first step in troubleshooting this issue would be considering the InfinTV4 has a 4 way splitter in it that you would assume creates a bigger signal issue than I would see on the HDHR3's... but enough with assumptions what should I look at other than adding my HD650's back into the PC...

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:03 am

There are some troubleshooting tips on their website to help determine your issue. I disable network throttling as it cleared up packet loss issues I was having. This may or may not be your issue but worth looking into.

Here's some good info...

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877

werds

Post by werds » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:33 am

mcewinter wrote:There are some troubleshooting tips on their website to help determine your issue. I disable network throttling as it cleared up packet loss issues I was having. This may or may not be your issue but worth looking into.

Here's some good info...

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5877
Thanks! Will flip those settings and see if the wife complains about recordings in the next few days :)

werds

Post by werds » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:50 am

Well flipped the options they mentioned in that thread. I did see marked improvement in recordings, but I still saw occasionaly pixellation crop up here and there. At least the recordings were watchable.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:01 pm

Obviously the broadcast may be responsible for the occasional anomoly but there's other things to look at. Your coax cables and connections and splitters can have a noticable relation to your PQ.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 pm

I went back to using the pci-e HD650's for clearQAM. Since I have done that I have zero pixellation on any recordings. I used the exact same connections as with the HDHR3's. WAF was taking a beating during the time I was trying to troubleshoot the pixellation issue =( So there is likely something specific to my setup or settings that cause this problem as I do not hear others having it though!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 pm

You can always enable dubugging and open a ticket or post on their forums with your device ID.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 am

Have you tried the network loss packet test in the 2nd post of this thread?

werds

Post by werds » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Not yet Barnabas, limited time as I usually spend my evenings after our daughter is in bed either catching up on DVR stuff or grading papers, and prior to that time period the wife and daughter are consuming content in some form or fashion. I plan on hopefully getting some time over the winter break where I can test this stuff out - right now I just can't incur the wrath too much - as first a few weeks ago I hosed the system in an attempt to test out Win8 (im back on Win7), then one of the clear Qam tuners (HD650) was throwing tuner recording errors (removed the culprit) and then Spent a week of barely watchable recordings from when I switched over to using the HDHR3's.

So troubleshooting further is on my to do list as I really liked how decluttered the HDHR3's made things! Plus I don't want to take the unnecessary hit financially by reselling if I can find the culprit - just have to wait until I can take the system down without interrupting the wife and kid too much...

Will be updating when that comes around - =)