New 1.2.2.6 firmware will not install

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
WindowsHTPC

HTPC Specs: Show details

New 1.2.2.6 firmware will not install

Post by WindowsHTPC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:45 am

I am trying to install it via the diagnostic app and it fails every time...

I haven't opened a support ticket because I already have one open due to OOB not locking... So I figured one problem at a time...

I have TWC coming tomorrow to check levels... but I can't help wondering if there might be a HW issue with the card that is causing BOTH problems.

My signal levels as reported in the webpage are REALLY low

Signal Level: -47.8 dBmV
Signal To Noise Level: -17.5 dB

back when things were working the levels were usually on the low side of normal...

At what point would the cable cease to work at all? If I hook the cable up to an old VCR (yeah I still have a VCR, two in fact!) it does work.

I see where you can install a FW via the web page... but I can't find a way to download it. The old beta firmware page just says to use the diagnostic app.

BTW this in on a win8 box

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:29 am

What error message are you getting when you try to update the new firmware? I had the same issue with my last card and was receiving a "Failed to download to device" error or something along those lines. That said, I sent a diagnostics capture to Ceton and they said I had a bad flash chip and RMA'd my card with the new 1.2.2.6 firmware installed. The best part is that this firmware appears to have solved the pixelation issues! On top of that my signal levels are now reported as +7db higher than the previous firmware...

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:43 am

Failed to update Ceton.... Saving new firmware to device failed.

Sigh... I wish I didn't have two problems at once. It makes it much more difficult to diagnose.... I didn't try to update the FW until I starting having the OOB lock issue. I fear tomorrow the TWC tech will tell me - your signals are all fine - it must be your tuner card. Which seems to be the standard response, but this time they may be right. Or I might have two different issues.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:50 am

That is the exact message I was getting. Save yourself the agony and grab a diag capture after the firmware update fails and send it to Ceton. This appears to be a common problem and they will most likely RMA the card for you. Ceton has very good customer service and stands behind their products and have been very good to me. That said, I can tell you that it's worth all the trouble just to upgrade to this newest firmware as I was ready to give up because of the pixelation issues. This firmware has solved that problem and I'm now fully enjoying my Ceton tuner!

I wish you the best...

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:29 am

Same thing happened to me. I couldnt update and I sent the diagnostic file to Ceton and they sent me another card. I would do that and see if they see the same thing as both of us. The great thing about Ceton is when you RMA something, you can just give them a credit card number and they will go ahead and ship your new card out. They wont charge your card unless they dont get the old card back. They were really great about the whole thing.

I'm enjoying mine as well! I put a new WD20EURS in today and I have been throwing as much as I can at this card. No pixelation or macroblocking in nearly a week now! :thumbup:

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:24 am

Had a possibly similar issue on an ITV4 USB unit. If you have purchased the device from an authorized reseller (http://cetoncorp.com/buy-now/ under Infinitv for your version) and are within the warranty period, open a support ticket ASAP so that the device can be replaced under RMA. I was unable to get mine RMAd since it was manufactured over a year ago and was not from one of the listed authorized resellers (even though it was purchased new within the past 60 days). Thankfully I had squaretrade on it...
Time is on my side.

WindowsHTPC

Post by WindowsHTPC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 pm

support ticket submitted.

I am glad I got my card from newegg, I didn't realize there are only two authorized retailers - newegg and amazon. I ordered it on 10/25/12

I almost bought a used one off ebay.

newegg is currently OOS... at least for the internal one.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:41 pm

WindowsHTPC wrote:support ticket submitted.

I am glad I got my card from newegg, I didn't realize there are only two authorized retailers - newegg and amazon.
There are 8 authorized retailers for the InfiniTV4 PCIe listed on the Ceton site: Amazon, Newegg, Buy.com, Hard Drive NW, MicroCenter, Microsoft Store, Velocity Micro and Zones.

You have to click on the InfiniTV tabto see that list - the page defaults to listing the 2 authorized retailers for the Echo.