A Quick Status Update on The Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jrosinsk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jrosinsk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm looking for a status update on the issue of jerky video even in 720p.

With latest SW load installed, after a few minutes of play, the video starts to get jerky, then lip sync fails, and if I leave it the video eventually freezes with audio still playing.

My workaround is to hit the rewind button (Which is not always responsive with the first press.) and then hit pause, play. The video playback is perfect for a few minutes until the same situation reoccurs. For a 30 minute program I find myself having to do this 5 or 6 times.

What is the time frame for repair? At this point I feel the device is unusable. Thanks!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm

jrosinsk wrote:I'm looking for a status update on the issue of jerky video even in 720p.

With latest SW load installed, after a few minutes of play, the video starts to get jerky, then lip sync fails, and if I leave it the video eventually freezes with audio still playing.

My workaround is to hit the rewind button (Which is not always responsive with the first press.) and then hit pause, play. The video playback is perfect for a few minutes until the same situation reoccurs. For a 30 minute program I find myself having to do this 5 or 6 times.

What is the time frame for repair? At this point I feel the device is unusable. Thanks!
Settings s/w or echo f/w?
What is the version number as beta releases are only sent out to certain beta testers in limited testing. When you say latest, you may not actually have the latest.

jrosinsk

Post by jrosinsk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 pm

2012.1202.1302 is the version it shows when it boots.

I say latest, because after I installed the unit it was rebooting, coming up with unknown version. I posted and someone replied to reboot again to get the latest release.

Thanks

jrosinsk

Post by jrosinsk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Sent diagnostics 90:04:92.

Thanks

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:38 am

jrosinsk wrote:Sent diagnostics 90:04:92.

Thanks

We just released a new beta update firmware for the echo. In the Echo Settings pluging go to the about/update section and subscribe to the beta updates and install the latest from today this should fix your issues
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:57 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:the first time I heard of Windows Phone, all I could picture was my phone with a BSOD.
I keep hearing BSOD joke about M$, but I can't tell you the last time I have gotten one that wasn't my development machine that I write device drivers on.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:27 pm

Samurai wrote:I keep hearing BSOD joke about M$, but I can't tell you the last time I have gotten one that wasn't my development machine that I write device drivers on.
I was on a Delta plane last week and the entertainment system kept BSODing. All I can say is I was grateful that Microsoft didn't make the Flight Management System software, as well (to be fair, I think these systems are still Windows 2000).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:17 pm

kingwr wrote:
Samurai wrote:I keep hearing BSOD joke about M$, but I can't tell you the last time I have gotten one that wasn't my development machine that I write device drivers on.
I was on a Delta plane last week and the entertainment system kept BSODing. All I can say is I was grateful that Microsoft didn't make the Flight Management System software, as well (to be fair, I think these systems are still Windows 2000).
The rear-projection DLP TV that I was referring to was purchased in 2005. I don't know what version of Windows CE it was running, but you can imagine my frustration when it would BSOD in the middle of watching TV, even if I wasn't pressing any buttons.

The TV had a built-in browser. The browser sucked, so I never used it... even though I spent the extra $50.00 for the wireless keyboard that worked with the TV. After I moved to a new place, I didn't connect the Ethernet cable to the back of the TV (no need for the Ethernet connection since there was never a firmware update available... and the browser was crap). The BSOD's miraculously stopped! After no BSOD on the TV for about a year, I tested the theory by connecting the Ethernet cable again. I got a BSOD within a few days. So, I just used the TV without the Ethernet cable connected.

During the time I owned the TV, I went through about four lamps (approx $170 each) and a color wheel. I finally figured out that power fluctuations can drastically reduce the life of one of those arc lamps. When I installed a UPS with a built-in power conditioner, I finally got the full 10,000 hours out of a lamp. The color wheel died shortly after that. Other than those problems, it worked fine until the light engine died just before Christmas in 2010.

So, for a total cost of nearly $3K (parts plus the original cost of the TV), I got a whole 5 years out of it!

Needless to say, I won't be buying another DLP RPTV... and especially not one that runs Windows CE!