Steps for 'De-bricking' an Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
MFG77

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by MFG77 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:19 am

One more vote of thanks to Ceton support. I ordered a second Echo from Newegg on Sunday, 12/23. Amazingly, it arrived early on 12/24. Something glitched during initial setup. The initial firmware did not list a version. It updated to the 12/13 firmware on the first power cycle. From there, I tried to use the plug-in to update to the 12/19 version. The update seemed to be going fine and then I got the 'recovering' message. After about 10 minutes, it did recover, but to an un-dated firmware. The plug-in didn't work with that firmware and I was stuck on the older firmware. I opened a support ticket with Ceton on 12/24. I received several responses from Ceton on both 12/24 and 12/25 (absolutely amazing). I was in the process of trying to set the Echo on a DMZ (having problems with that) when I found the thread listing the 73268379 recovery method. It worked great for me. This time, the 'recovering' brought it to the 12/13 firmware. I power cycled a couple of times at that level and then tried the plug-in to upgrade to the 12/19 firmware. Success. I've now replaced two of my 4 Linksys extenders with Echos and they've been very stable.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 am

It's nice to see a happy ending. Great job!

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:23 am

On the latest firmware, my Echos have been rock solid and I am unable to find any channel that still suffers from jittery video. I am very happy with my purchases. I'm also impressed Ceton managed to fix the issues as quickly as they have. I wasn't expecting to see the video issues ironed out until sometime next year.

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:51 pm

My Echo is on its way back to me. The Ceton guys made quite the turn around in the RMA. I don't know what they had to do since both the HDMI and Ethernet ports were still as could be but they got it working right fast.

My working echo crashed a couple of times today, but I am sure it was my doing. I was having some cable card issues on one or the CC's that never received the CCV back from Verizon. Every once in a while I would get a message that I needed to subscribe etc... so I wanted to recreate the situation before I phone in a request to resend the signal. Anyway, my setup consists of an 'HTPC' with 2 Infinitv's in it which I connect the Echo's and Xbox to, so I gave that box 2 tuners from each Infinitv. I then have 2 other PC's that are networked to it with 2 tuners each (one from each of the Infinitv's), I don't know why I did it that way, just thought that it would balance. Anyway in my attempt to recreate the problem I was trying to record 4 different programs but forgot that I had actually a program playing on the HTPC. When I got to the 'Stop one recording screen' when I stopped one it crashed each time I tried it. When it did crash it was the first time I saw the Windows 7 screen on the echo as it was shutting down.

That was comforting in a way as the echo just didn't stop, but it was shutting down fairly gracefully.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 am

Yes, it has been quite the month. The Echo had a slow start, but a strong finish. It really doesn't matter what place you are in during the race, the only thing that matters is what place you are in at the finish line. The finish line in this leg of the race was Xmas morning, and in my books Ceton won the race. During the month of December the Echo updates were coming out faster than I could bench test them. It seemed like I just figured out how to get the best out of the update I had, and BAM, there's another one.

Thanks again Ceton.

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Got my rma'd echo back in record time (was due to get here by Fedex Monday but came Friday!) Working great, thanks Ceton!!!!

On another front, does anyone have a wife that thinks she hears a high pitched noise from their echo. I am a guy so I obviously can't hear it..heck I don't hear her most of the time!

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:01 pm

@bobc_nj can you ask her if the noise is coming from the power adapter that came with the echo? We have seen like 2 total odd power adapters that would make a noise.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bobc_nj

Post by bobc_nj » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:46 am

The wife actually helped figure it out, and it doesn't actually appear to be the echo or power adapter. I actually heard what she was talking about and it is the TV. Specifically when we hook up to HDMI #2. When I changed it to my 3rd port all is well. It is (was) especially noticeable at the "Waiting for network" screen, but seems to diminish once it loads Media Center and for me anyway I couldn't really detect it once the sound is on and the Channel is tuned.

Thanks Motz for the concern.