MKVs play audio only

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rabbit1543

HTPC Specs: Show details

MKVs play audio only

Post by rabbit1543 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Has anyone else successfully played MKV files on the echo? I know MKVs are technically containers and the codec can vary greatly but when i try to play them all i get is a black screen with audio. Im pretty sure most of the mkvs I've tried are x264. My linksys DMA2100s will play them with some caveats. I dont get the option to FF,RW, pause and the picture quality is not that great but they do play. When playing on the 2100 i believe that the files are being trans coded on the fly, but with the echo im not sure what is going on in the background.

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:51 pm

I was having no success with .mkv's until i installed the shark007 codec pack last night. Mkv's are playing great now. There is still video stutter, but its no different then the stutter im seeing on ALL video coming from the echo, including recorded and live tv. Hopefully the stuttering will get resolved in a future firmware release. I'm not sure why the Shark007 codec pack worked, even though it uses the same Haali media splitter I had installed before. Maybe someone can clarify what codec works best on extenders.

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:09 pm

I've always run Shark007 codecs to stream MKVs, even to my XB360. As you mentioned, MKV is a container, but the HTPC still has to know how to demux it, and the contents (audio and video streams) must be in a format the extender can handle.

If you're using a plugin like MediaBrowser to actually do the streaming, I've found that disabling any transcoding options is best - contrary to the (outdated) guides you'll find.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:56 am

I have used the instructions here: http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/mkvs-for ... ows-7.html

to enable MKV playback on my Win7 MC. Installed the Matroska splitter and performed the registry hack to enable WMC to see MKV files. It worked like a charm. I did this a few years ago and am able to see all my MKV files from within media center. However, when going to the same directory using the Echo, no mkv files show up in my movie directory. Any ideas on how to solve this?

cdcellular

Post by cdcellular » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:24 am

does that registry hack only affect the windows/profile it was installed on?

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:30 pm

cdcellular wrote:does that registry hack only affect the windows/profile it was installed on?
That's what I'm thinking but I don't know for sure. I am going to see if I can see my MKVs using my Xbox as an extender. I thought I could, but maybe I'm wrong.

innesst

Post by innesst » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:13 am

I have the same problem: Audio only...

MKV play fine on the Media Center PC from within MediaBrower. I have only Gabest splitter (from MPC-Standalone Filters.1.6.1.4235.x86 - only change since then seems to be related to quicktime and WebM, neither of which are at issue here). No added codecs, no FFDShow or anything else.

I tried a workaround suggested by Motz here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 153#p30153

This worked (for the remuxed files): Audio and video (maybe a 2 second video stutter/delay at beginning). However, I would rather not remux all my files.

The Ceton knowledgebase says:
"If your Windows Media Center PC has been configured to handle the MKV container, and the codecs within the container are also supported by the Echo, it should be possible to play that content back on the Echo. "

Since the audio and video codecs are both supported by the Echo (as demonstrated that they play after remuxing), and the files play find on the media center PC, I am wondering what I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated, as it would be best to be able to utilize MKV, as Ceton indicates this should work.
Thanks

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47 am

This behavior can be a result of encode settings that aren't currently compatible with the echo. Specifically ref/b frames set too high.

See this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3939

It is less likely to be an issue with installed codecs and more likely to be an issue with encode settings, especially if:
1) The file plays properly on the htpc
2) You don't receive a codec error on the echo (or other extender) when you try to play the file.

If both of the above are true, you're likely to break more than you fix by fiddling with the codecs.

If you can share your encode settings that would be helpful.

innesst

Post by innesst » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:08 pm

hmmurdock wrote:This behavior can be a result of encode settings that aren't currently compatible with the echo. Specifically ref/b frames set too high.
Why would the encode settings matter if the file plays correctly (on the echo) when it is remuxed into m2ts - no re-encoding is done, just in a different container (not mkv)?

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:04 pm

innesst wrote:Why would the encode settings matter if the file plays correctly (on the echo) when it is remuxed into m2ts - no re-encoding is done, just in a different container (not mkv)?
Most likely because the different containers handle the streams slightly different. It could just be a matter of how the streams are flagged. But I can tell you that I've taken MKVs that play perfectly fine, remuxed them to MP4s and they don't play correctly, once again pointing to the fact that what works fine in one container doesn't necessarily work the same in another.

If you want to go and remux all your files, have at it. No one is stopping you. I'm just trying to find out what will and won't play, and what the differences are, so Ceton can get it fixed. Frankly, I think that telling Ceton, that variable frame rates, and large ref/b frames cause problems with MKV playback is a much more productive strategy for getting our MKVs to play eventually than telling them that the reason that MKV's aren't playing properly is because MKVs aren't playing properly (which is essentially what you're saying)

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 am

If you do a Media Info of the file it would help out. Containers are just containers, all depends what you are putting in it:

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:10 am

innesst wrote:
hmmurdock wrote:This behavior can be a result of encode settings that aren't currently compatible with the echo. Specifically ref/b frames set too high.
Why would the encode settings matter if the file plays correctly (on the echo) when it is remuxed into m2ts - no re-encoding is done, just in a different container (not mkv)?
If using mkv2vob is is just swapping the container form mkv to m2ts which means no splitter is involved in the process when passing from host PC to extenders. Now mkv2vob will also mux the audio if it is DTS to AC3, additionally it will use 448kbps AC3 audio which I am pretty sure it some crazy WMC standard that I remember reading I think on an old Engadget HD article.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

innesst

Post by innesst » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I get audio only with the following mkv. I have gabset splitter installed on the PC, no 3rd party codecs. It plays fine on echo when muxed to m2ts

Video
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 9 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 3 499 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.880 fps
Original frame rate : 59.940 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.063
Writing library : x264 core 129 r2230 1cffe9f
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:2:2 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=20 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=22.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy

innesst

Post by innesst » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 pm

hmmurdock wrote: If you want to go and remux all your files, have at it. No one is stopping you. I'm just trying to find out what will and won't play, and what the differences are, so Ceton can get it fixed. Frankly, I think that telling Ceton, that variable frame rates, and large ref/b frames cause problems with MKV playback is a much more productive strategy for getting our MKVs to play eventually than telling them that the reason that MKV's aren't playing properly is because MKVs aren't playing properly (which is essentially what you're saying)
I don't think such a snarky response was warranted. I specifically said I would NOT like to remux. I was only commenting on the the knowledgebase statement that if mkv play on PC (it does) and codecs supported by Echo (they are), then file should play on Echo (it doesn't). Since nobody in this thread who experienced the audio only problem had posted that they confirmed that the video stream was playable on the Echo, I was simply confirming that the problem occurs even with playable streams.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 pm

@innesst

Do you have the file data before and after the mux? I am curious to see exactly what the differences are in the file. Additionally the .m2ts container is handled native by Windows and Media Foundation, once a splitter is involved in the process other things could actually be happening behind the scenes even if we do support everything. Extenders aren't passed the information the same way that they are played back on your PC. I can't go into the process as to what is actually happen but trust me a lot goes on.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 pm

Motz wrote:If you do a Media Info of the file it would help out. Containers are just containers, all depends what you are putting in it:

I have been trying to get my MKVs to play on the Echo. Here is the mediainfo output for a representative file. When I try to play on the Echo, I get audio, but the video is just a black screen.

It plays fine in WMC on the main HTPC using the Gabest mkv splitter.

General
Unique ID : 41404300007694406977821155003598418344 (0x1F262D995885FCEFEA723148BB68B1A8)
Complete name : F:\MyVideos\The Pacific MKV version\The.Pacific.Pt.I.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 1
File size : 1.46 GiB
Duration : 54mn 51s
Overall bit rate : 3 805 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2010-03-15 03:38:47
Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Nov 7 2008 17:24:23
Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 3 417 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.155
Stream size : 1.28 GiB (88%)
Writing library : x264 core 88 r1471 1144615
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=20 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=3417 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : A_AC3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 151 MiB (10%)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Any insights? BTW, I tried mkv2vob and when applied to this file the program tries to remux but gives an error saying remuxing failed! It did produce a file with .mpg as the file type NOT .m2ts

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:37 pm

Motz wrote:If you do a Media Info of the file it would help out. Containers are just containers, all depends what you are putting in it:

MediaInfo isn't 100% reliable.

I've done several test encodes, varying a single setting between runs.

With the exact same settings, only varying the Hanbrake setting for frame rate (from constant to Variable (Peak) frame rate) MediaInfo shows both files as having a constant frame rate. While that may technically be accurate, as the orginal file was a constant framerate source, so Handbrake shouldn't have altered that, even with the setting changed to Variable or Peak, the file encoded as "Constant" will play on the echo, and the one encoded as Variable (Peak) will not play.

The Source file was the same and the two resulting files have identical MediaInfo results. One plays, the other doesn't. That tells me that MediaInfo isn't telling the whole story.

btracy

Post by btracy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:50 am

@fiteclub. I don't have any good suggestions on getting your .mkv to play on the Echo as I got mixed results on different .mkv files (could easily be due to what hmmurdock has found) but I have a suggestion for the remuxing failed message in mkv2vob if you want to try that route again.

I had the same issue with a number of .mkv files failing to remux properly in mkv2vob and found a post with the fix (forget where now though). You need to download the latest MKVToolNix package (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html) and then open your .mkv file that failed using the mkvmerge GUI. You will see in the tracks section, your video/audio/etc tracks. Highlight each of these and on the "Extra Options" tab, under compression select "none". Once you have modified each of the tracks to have compression set to "none" hit the Start muxing button. Take the newly modified file and it should run through mkv2vob successfully (if it was the same problem I was having anyway). This fixed each of the files I had issues with and I have modified everything to .mpg that I want to play on my Echo.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:24 am

btracy wrote:@fiteclub. I don't have any good suggestions on getting your .mkv to play on the Echo as I got mixed results on different .mkv files (could easily be due to what hmmurdock has found) but I have a suggestion for the remuxing failed message in mkv2vob if you want to try that route again.

I had the same issue with a number of .mkv files failing to remux properly in mkv2vob and found a post with the fix (forget where now though). You need to download the latest MKVToolNix package (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html) and then open your .mkv file that failed using the mkvmerge GUI. You will see in the tracks section, your video/audio/etc tracks. Highlight each of these and on the "Extra Options" tab, under compression select "none". Once you have modified each of the tracks to have compression set to "none" hit the Start muxing button. Take the newly modified file and it should run through mkv2vob successfully (if it was the same problem I was having anyway). This fixed each of the files I had issues with and I have modified everything to .mpg that I want to play on my Echo.
Thx for the reply btracy. I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately I still get the "muxing failed!" error message. Interestingly, an mpg file is still created which appears to work just fine. To be clear, an apparent working mpg file is created whether I use the mkvmerge GUI program or not.

nitrobass24

Post by nitrobass24 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:30 am

Is it just me or is having to re-encode my entire library just ludicrous? There has to be a real solution here.

Also each time sickbeard downloads a TV episode for me, I cant be re-encoding that. Just seems crazy.