Inteset Remote

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lithium630

HTPC Specs: Show details

Inteset Remote

Post by lithium630 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:12 am

Anyone see this remote?

http://shop.inteset.com/Products/10-int ... eiver.aspx

I have scoured the interwebs looking at MCE remotes and just came across this one for the first time. It looks like the Linksys extender remotes but with more features. It can control 3 other devices and has backlit keys. I just bought 2 on Ebay. $16.95 if you don't need the IR receiver.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 am

lithium630 wrote:Anyone see this remote?
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/10-int ... eiver.aspx
Personal preferences vary, but the button layout is not one that I favour.

I have a Dell-branded MC remote control that is similar in button layout. The problem that I find is that the transport controls are too near the top, resulting in an unbalanced grip if you want to operate the controls one handed (using your thumb).

The remote control that I normally use is an MX-850 (a universal remote control made by Universal Remote Control). The important transport controls, cursor controls, and volume/mute controls are all positioned in the central one third of the remote control, resulting in a balanced grip. (The less-used number buttons are in the lower one third, while the upper one third has the LCD display with less-used user-defined buttons.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:14 pm

I agree it is not the perfect remote, but for me it is one of the few remotes that have all the functions I want. I don't know why a TV power button is so rare. I also like the backlit keys for use in the bedroom.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 pm

lithium630 wrote: I don't know why a TV power button is so rare.
+1

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 pm

Well.. The remotes arrived today and they are just terrible. Ugh.. First, there is a discrete tv power button, but it cannot be programmed while PC (media center) is selected. So you have to press the TV button, then power, to turn the tv on and off. Not a deal breaker but annoying. The next problem is the Ceton extender does not recognize it. It is RC6 so it SHOULD work. It works with the Xbox 360 and Linksys extenders so the issue must be with Ceton. I tried learning the MCE remote codes under Aux but it still does not work well. The biggest issue is the range. The remote has to be pointed DIRECTLY at the IR receiver or nothing happens. Even then is still misses sometimes. I can aim my Microsoft remote at about a 50 degree angle and it works great every time. Back to the drawing board.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 am

lithium630 wrote:The next problem is the Ceton extender does not recognize it. It is RC6 so it SHOULD work. It works with the Xbox 360 and Linksys extenders so the issue must be with Ceton.
There seems to be more than one Media Center IR code set.

Several years ago I purchased a Kworld DVB-T tuner card, which was supplied with a remote control and an IR receiver (specified as being compatible with Windows Media Center). The receiver is identical to the one shown in the web page that you quoted. The curious thing about it is this: my original Dell-branded remote control works both with the Dell IR receiver, and the Kworld IR receiver. But my MX-850 universal remote control did not work with the Kworld IR receiver.

The MX-850 has a database of IR codes, including about a half-dozen different code sets for Windows Media Center, so I tried some of the other code sets, and found one that does work with the Kworld. But then the MX-850 does not work with the Dell IR receiver. So it works with one or the other, but not both.

So how does the Dell remote control manage to work with both IR receivers simultaneously? The only explanation that I can think of is that the Dell remote control transmits all possible button codes for the particular button pressed, in the hope that one of the codes will be the one expected by the IR receiver! Very strange.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK