ATI Digital Cable Tuner upgrade firmware

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
rosegreenb

HTPC Specs: Show details

ATI Digital Cable Tuner upgrade firmware

Post by rosegreenb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Hello,

I have two external DCTs (ATI Digital Cable Tuners). One of the tuners I was able to successfully upgrade the firmware to 1.19 (from 1.17) using the MS "Digital Cable Advisor"

However, when a ran the MS "Digital Cable Advisor" only one of the tuners upgraded to 1.19. The other tuner still shows 1.17.

I tried running the "Digital Cable Advisor" again but no luck. I also tried unpluging both tuners and only plug in the tuner with 1.17 firmware and re-running the "Digital Cable Advisor" but still won't upgrade to 1.19 even though the Digital Cable Advisor says it was successful.

Any idea how to upgrade the 2nd tuner to 1.19?

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:14 pm

It's been a while since I had an ATI DCT but, if my memory is correct the firmware update is part of the Windows Update not the Digital Cable Advisor.

Try running Windows Update and see if it detects the ATI needing a firmware update.

rosegreenb

Post by rosegreenb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:13 pm

tracer, thanks for the response.

Although I was able to upgrade one of the tuners to 1.19 after running the Digital Cable Advisor. I can't remember where I saw it but one of the cable card DCT sites explained to be able to upgrade to 1.19 was to use the Digital Cable Advisor
http://www.geektonic.com/2009/11/micros ... ecard.html

However, it seems that what you are saying is the way to go. How would I do that now for the 2nd tuner? Meaning what should I look for in Windows Updates to get the 1.19 firmware ?

Thanks again

STC

Post by STC » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:48 pm

Try a reboot with just the .17 firmware tuner plugged in, then run updates and the DCA again.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

rosegreenb

Post by rosegreenb » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:00 am

thanks STC! I'll give it a try

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:19 am

As others have mentioned, the update comes down off WU from the driver install. The DCA has nothing to do with it. This sounds vaguely familiar (second tuner not getting the upgrade), and I *think* the resolution is:
1. Unplug already upgraded tuner
2. Go in device manager, remove (and delete) drivers for remaining tuner
3. re-detect tuner
4. It should go through upgrade.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation