Unable to connect outside of home network

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
cgott42

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to connect outside of home network

Post by cgott42 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:38 pm

I have the ceton inifinit tuner and ceton companion app - on a Dell Windows PC running Win XP32, and the app on a Lenovo Thinkpad android tablet 1838
The app works fine when I'm in the house, however when outside of the house it doesn't.
I've entereed the local IP and external IP as shown during setup.
thx

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Did you open the necessary ports on your router?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:21 pm

To use the app remotely and off wi-fi you need to enable port forwarding on your router. We have a small guide here:
http://cetoncorp.com/documents/CetonCom ... sGuide.pdf

Also you can find guides to your specific router here:
http://portforward.com/english/applicat ... efault.htm
I Write, Code, and Tweet

cgott42

Post by cgott42 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:04 am

Yep thx!

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Post by ImTheTypeOfGuy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I have a similar issue but it is with my external IP address changing. How do I keep it from changing?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:48 pm

You don't stop it from changing.
You use dynamic dns.
Dyndns.org or alternative.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:33 pm

ImTheTypeOfGuy wrote:I have a similar issue but it is with my external IP address changing. How do I keep it from changing?
To expand a little on the DynamicDNS suggestion, you need to set your router up so that it notifies an external DNS server when it gets a new IP address. Then when you're away from home, you can connect back to your home address by using "myname.dnsprovider.com", which should always be up-to-date, because your router tells "dnsprovider.com" what IP address to use for "myname".

DynamicDNS used to be the go-to place for this service, and many older routers only supported Dyn-dns.org for this purpose, but a couple of years ago DynDNS stopped offering free accounts. So you need to check what Dynamic DNS services are supported on your router (or DSL modem, as frequent address changes seem to happen more often for DSL users than for Cable users). Then set up an account at a supported dynamic DNS provider, enter the account details into the modem/router (it has to be the box that actually gets the external address fromn your ISP) and set up the companion app to connect to this new DNS name, instead of an IP address.

Note that some routers will allow you to use this external name while still on your LAN, but some won't (you'll have to revert to the 192.168... LAN address when you're at home).

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 am

There are small programs to run on your computer for any service you choose, if your router doesn't do dynamic dns. Router support is awesome though.

Now if i knew what to get around my 10.x.x.x i.p. address. Stupid verizon.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm

DynDns is still free but you have to sign up for the month trial with your credit card, and then cancel it. They will then let you have your DynDns account free after that. if you fail to update it often enough, your account is canceled and you have to star the trial all over again. (what a pain) Lucky for me I use Microsoft's homeserver.com Dyn DNS sevice built into my Windows Home Server 2011. It works well for me. My router supports DynDns but I don't need it with WHS.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 pm

JazJon wrote:DynDns is still free but you have to sign up for the month trial with your credit card, and then cancel it. They will then let you have your DynDns account free after that. if you fail to update it often enough, your account is canceled and you have to star the trial all over again. (what a pain) Lucky for me I use Microsoft's homeserver.com Dyn DNS sevice built into my Windows Home Server 2011. It works well for me. My router supports DynDns but I don't need it with WHS.
If you have to register with a credit card, it's not "free" - it's "we'll give you your money back if you remember to ask us in time". I've managed to maintain my old DynDNS account with 2 hostnames, but neither of the services I use change very often, any the two routers will only update the DynDNS entry when the IP address changes, so I have to login to dyndns.org and manually refresh the assignments on a regular basis. When DynDNS eventually kicks me off, I'll switch to a different service.

This is essentially a bait-and-switch operation. The reason routers support dyndns.org is because it was supposed to be a free service.

Of course this will all go away next yeart when we start using IPV6 :D