Echo Install Process

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Chuckr53

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Install Process

Post by Chuckr53 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:35 pm

I finally received my shipping notification from Newegg, so I should have my devices in a few business days. ;)

I'm using an XBOX extender on my primary tv, which is mcx_1. Is there a special installation process I have to follow for adding the 2 Echo's to additional tvs?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 pm

An extender is an extender; there's only one process for adding an extender. You followed it when you added the XBox, so you're good to go. Just do that again for the new extenders.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 pm

Basically what adam said.

Here is our guide:
http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... tion-guide

Included in there is the "Echo Settings plugin" which you can install on your PC ahead of time if you want and it will automatically show up on your echos when they link up.

When you get the echo for the first time and plug it in an automatic firmware upgrade will occur, please do not unplug the echo while this is happening. The echo will automatically re-start when it is finished and then display the setup numbers for you. Please also use the official USB Power cord and adapter :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks!

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Why isn't this just a clean and simple install/setup? (that's a rhetorical question by the way)

Okay...I pre-installed the Echo software as suggested, and then when I looked in the "Manage Extras" page in the Extras Library in WMC ON THE HTPC, the Ceton Echo plugin was not selected, to I clicked it on. Last night when I added the Echo Extender, no updating occurred and WMC continued to show the Echo ast "configured but not available. So, I deleted it from WMC, unplugged the power on the Echo, then re-entered the Add Extender in WMC, re-powered the Echo, entered the new code number into WMC, and finished the add process. Everything worked for 5 minutes, but the display was in 720p so I went into the Echo Video settings to change the display to 1080p. I went to the page, but no options were available to select...only an empty WMC screen with Save or Cancel. So then I thought I'd try to execute the Update, but when I went to that screen, it too was empty like the Video setting screen. The Audio setting screen had choices. Then when I went to the Manage Extras page in the Extras Library on the TV the Echo was attached to, there were two Ceton Echo checkboxes listed, both of which were selected.

So now, 30 minutes ago I decided to run the Echo "De-Bricking" utility using 73268279 on the remote. It's in that process right now, and I'm waiting for completion. Please advise if the Ceton Echo checkbox on the HTPC Manage Extras should be selected or de-selected. (It's obvious the selection on the Extender Manage Extras should be checked).

Some guidance would be appreciated.

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:57 pm

The Echo sat in Recovering mode for about 90 minutes, so I powered off using remote, then powered on again. Screen display says Recovering and nothing else happening. Any suggestions?

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Echo device is truly a "Brick" now. I submitted a trouble ticket (#OLR-923-76624).

IrishFBall32

Post by IrishFBall32 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 pm

The settings being blank is apparently a known issue with the original factory firmware. You can tell what version you have by checking the splash screen with a starry background during boot - if it says "Unknown" you're on the factory version.

The lack of update and getting stuck during recovery is likely due to the update server being overloaded (see other threads re: update loops and debricking)...

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 pm

IrishFBall32 wrote:The settings being blank is apparently a known issue with the original factory firmware. You can tell what version you have by checking the splash screen with a starry background during boot - if it says "Unknown" you're on the factory version.

The lack of update and getting stuck during recovery is likely due to the update server being overloaded (see other threads re: update loops and debricking)...
Nice theories on your part...but just theories. I've had nothing less than a nightmare. This has been the worst install I've ever experienced, and it's not getting better. I'm totally convinced it's defectiveand I just wish they'd give me an RMA, and replace the bad one I have. I've had two solid days of try this, and try that, and none of it works. :thumbdown:

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Chuckr53 wrote:
IrishFBall32 wrote:The settings being blank is apparently a known issue with the original factory firmware. You can tell what version you have by checking the splash screen with a starry background during boot - if it says "Unknown" you're on the factory version.

Nice theories on your part...but just theories.
The blank settings on an Echo that hasn't been updated isn't a theory, it's a documented fact - the update populates the settings form.

Updates being disabled at around the time you experienced your problem is also a documented fact - documented on these boards by the staff at Ceton who took the download servers off-line to resolve an issue.

I can understand your anger and frustration, but if you just want to vent, do it on your own time. If you want help (or even just a sympathetic ear), don't be so dismissive of those who actually make an effort to offer their help and advice.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Give him a chance to vent.

Imagine if he sold his wife on this, and got this experience...I'd be venting, too.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Chuckr53 wrote:Echo device is truly a "Brick" now.
Yes, but it's a very small, energy-efficient brick!

JK

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:19 pm

foxwood wrote:
Chuckr53 wrote:

Nice theories on your part...but just theories.
The blank settings on an Echo that hasn't been updated isn't a theory, it's a documented fact - the update populates the settings form.

Updates being disabled at around the time you experienced your problem is also a documented fact - documented on these boards by the staff at Ceton who took the download servers off-line to resolve an issue.

I can understand your anger and frustration, but if you just want to vent, do it on your own time. If you want help (or even just a sympathetic ear), don't be so dismissive of those who actually make an effort to offer their help and advice.
I didn't see any help and advice in the post. As far as I was concerned, it was all theories since nothing worked. Just becasue I didn't share all the details about every unsuccessful install iteration doesn't mean that I didn't follow the directions I received from Ceton Support. Funny, they didn't mention anything about down servers nor updates populating screens...they just gave me instructions to follow that repeatedly failed to result in a successful install. I would have rather expected my experiance to typical in the Beta, but the bugs worked out by the time of product release. I think it's important for people to know the bad experiences as well as the good.

If you prefer to not hear about the unpleasant experiences, then don't read them.

Also, since my last post I finally had success...and it wasn't because of any instructions from Ceton Support nor from in this forum. So taking two full business days to accomplish the installation isn't what I'd call a satisfactory out of box experience.

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:37 pm

And now, it has stopped working. It just sits there recovering, but never does. 8 hrs now.