Power requirements

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kingwr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Power requirements

Post by kingwr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I know this thing is still beta but we are a couple of days from non-beta users having devices so I thought I would go ahead an post. What is the power requirements for the device? My TV has a USB port that supplies 500ma of 5V. I wonder if that would power the device and keep me from having to have a plug on the wall for it (of course I already have a plug for the TV, but theoretically, I mean).

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:36 am

On average the Echo consumes 5W. If it doesn't have the proper amount of power you could see issues or it might reboot.

Amps * Volts = Watts... So a standard USB only puts out 2.5W, you could use a Y cable (which would give you 5W) which some have tested, however we recommend you use the USB cable supplied as it is a thicker grade then most. Our power supply included goes up to 10W.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Got it. I think I will stick with the brick supplied with the unit. What's the word on CEC? Is it in the works or still on the to-do list. (again my question is theoretical because the TV I will be testing on does not support CEC).

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 pm

CEC is both on the to-do list and in the works :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet