How to release tuners

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jmag999

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to release tuners

Post by jmag999 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:10 am

How does the Echo handle releasing tuners when not in use?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:46 pm

WMC dynamically manages tuners on the back end, they are not assigned to extenders
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

jmag999

Post by jmag999 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 am

I guess I was wondering, does the Echo need to be put in standby in order for WMC to release the tuner? We generally leave the cable box on all the time ( sometimes by accident ) and I am wondering how that will affect tuner allocations. If I start watching on another tv, will it ask to take the tuner away from another box?

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 am

I think it asks you what you would like to stop watching/recording if you try to tune another channel. I am in good practice of just hitting stop when I am done watching TV on my HTPC as I don't like it recording non stop. The same would be for echo, but this is all on media Center side like erkotz said.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:09 pm

jmag999 wrote:I guess I was wondering, does the Echo need to be put in standby in order for WMC to release the tuner?
No. As soon as you stop watching Live TV (either press the stop button, or watch a recording), WMC will stop using the tuner that was being used to stream Live TV to the Extender. You don't need to sleep the Extender.
We generally leave the cable box on all the time ( sometimes by accident ) and I am wondering how that will affect tuner allocations. If I start watching on another tv, will it ask to take the tuner away from another box?
I think it will tell you that no tuners are available. If a recording needs a tuner, it will pop-up a reminder on the Live stream, and I think it will pre-empt the live stream unless you tell it not to (because if you don't acknowledge the pop-up, you're probably not watching the live stream).

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Watching from the server PC I have my Harmony programmed to send a stop command everytime I turn off the TV (I leave the PC on 24/7). For now I am using a MCE remote on the Echo, but might move to a Harmony just to handle this issue. Otherwise it does keep the tuner attached and records (for timeshifting) the entire time. Not the best on your drives. The other method is to turn off the Echo and it will disconnect. But then the echo has to boot everytime you turn it on and I hate to wait for that.