How to open more than 2 windows in W8

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I installed Win8 on the Kids PC this weekend. First Machine in the house with it. It's not that bad.. Things have been moved around and it will take time to re-learn the GUI a bit but I think once I know where to look for the things I need I won't be so negative about it.
The Desktop is literally one click away with the new Metro Start Screen. I do miss the Start Button which I am sure I'll end up adding Start8 to fix that. But other than that I don't mind the Metro UI (or whatever name they want to give it this week). It's a lot like WP and I am used to that UI so..not a big change for me. I think a lot of the complaining is coming from having things moved around and not knowing where anything is like it used to be.. Once that learning curve is passed people will adjust.
This happened with Vista as it was such a huge departure from XP's look and feel. I remember posts on people asking how to remove a program they installed in Vista as "add and remove programs" was no longer there in control panel..
It's a bit messy looking for me.. trying to bounce back and forth between the Metro (modern) UI and the Desktop of old. It will just take some geting used to for sure, But I don't hate it.
newfiend~

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm

foxwood wrote:If you don't like it, don't use it. It's not as if anyone else cares what you use on your own desktop.
Strange, I don't recall saying I **STILL** use it...you are obviously aware of something that I am not.
Rich

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:28 pm

newfiend wrote: I don't hate it.
newfiend~
Good for you, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same :)
Rich

KScott

Post by KScott » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 pm

If you prefer the start button and straight boot to the desktop on Windows 8, check out the app StartIsBack.
2 licenses is $3 and 5 for $5.
Unlike all the other similar programs, it uses no additional resources and doesn't slow the boot up at all.
Install file is around 1/2 mb.
I've moved to Windows 8 Pro on all of my personal pc's.
2 weeks ago I installed it on both of my sons pc's and fully expected them to not care for the metro gui and no start button.
I told them I could install a program to bring back what they were familiar with but to give it a day or 2 first.
I was very surprised when they wanted to keep the original Windows 8 interface as I have. None of us have touch screens, by the way.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks for the heads-up :)
Rich

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 pm

For those who like Gadgets in Windows 7 (I do) you can download a free utility called 8GadgetPack which, apparently, will restore this functionality. I haven't tried it so cannot say how good it is. This is just for info. If anyone does use it please feedback let us know :)
Rich

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:For those who like Gadgets in Windows 7 (I do) you can download a free utility called 8GadgetPack which, apparently, will restore this functionality. I haven't tried it so cannot say how good it is. This is just for info. If anyone does use it please feedback let us know :)
Cool.. thanks for this info. One of the reasons I didn't want to install Win 8 on my desktop is i have a few gadgets i use to monitor temps etc. on my gaming rig and the lack of that functionality kind of sucked. Thanks for posting this.
If I do decide to venture to Win8 soon Ill let you know how it goes. TY
newfiend~

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 am

No worries :)
Rich

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 am

StumpyBloke wrote:For those who like Gadgets in Windows 7 (I do) you can download a free utility called 8GadgetPack which, apparently, will restore this functionality. I haven't tried it so cannot say how good it is. This is just for info. If anyone does use it please feedback let us know :)
Seems to work fine. I have had a few different reboots where the CPU/Ram monitor won't open, but it seems to have settled down now and is working properly.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback :)
Rich

werds

Post by werds » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 am

KScott wrote:If you prefer the start button and straight boot to the desktop on Windows 8, check out the app StartIsBack.
2 licenses is $3 and 5 for $5.
Unlike all the other similar programs, it uses no additional resources and doesn't slow the boot up at all.
Install file is around 1/2 mb.
I've moved to Windows 8 Pro on all of my personal pc's.
2 weeks ago I installed it on both of my sons pc's and fully expected them to not care for the metro gui and no start button.
I told them I could install a program to bring back what they were familiar with but to give it a day or 2 first.
I was very surprised when they wanted to keep the original Windows 8 interface as I have. None of us have touch screens, by the way.
Thanks for this post, have a netbook I installed Win8 on, and was unhappy with the setup. This fixed my only true gripe :) and WAF is through the roof now as my wife simpy thinks it is Windows 7 lol

(Win 8 runs better on the netbook then Win7 but man am I still reticent to put this on my desktop till I find where they hid everything, heck I couldn't even locate where the network map tool is anymore, used to be a simple link in network and sharing center.. I almost feel as if it was removed like many other cool toys...

Robertus

Post by Robertus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:04 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I haven't installed W8 yet. I'm planning to try it on my desktop PC. I would NEVER try it on my HTPC. Is there a tutorial of some kind in W8 to explain the differences, and how to use the new interface with a mouse?

There nothing wrong with W8 as HTPC, my W8MC does the same as my W7MC does, 8 tuners, 13 row EPG Guide, runs Total Home Thretre 5 in MCE, play's dvd's & BlueRays & 3D in MCE, no mucking around with codecs, plays ISO' s in MCE with virtual drive which is now seemless in W8MC where is was clunky in W7MC, Imon works, My Movies works perfectly, streams movies from my WHS 2011 Server, boots into MCE, auto logon and it's quicker than W7 and the main thing it's stable. The mouse is the same as with W7 no difference.

I had highend computers as HTPC's anyway for W7MC and all they needed was a Bios upgrade and all my hardware worked. In actual fact my HTPC computers are running better on W8 as they are using less resources.

The only reason I upgraded was that you get MCE for free until mid Jan 2013 for W8, and like W7 you will get 2-3 years use out of your HTPC's. I was due to clean my computers anyway because they had been ruuning so long due to W7 being stable and if I was going to do that I may as well go to W8, all my data (Recorded Tv, Music, Videos, Photos are on d: drives) and W8 like W7 has "Libraries" so it just picks up where W7 left off.

Now upgrading my study W7 desktop and test bed computer to W8 is a big step, 3 years of work on it and probably 70 programs, now this will be a ugrade not a total rebuild like my HTPC's.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Robertus wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I haven't installed W8 yet. I'm planning to try it on my desktop PC. I would NEVER try it on my HTPC. Is there a tutorial of some kind in W8 to explain the differences, and how to use the new interface with a mouse?

There nothing wrong with W8 as HTPC, my W8MC does the same as my W7MC does, 8 tuners, 13 row EPG Guide, runs Total Home Thretre 5 in MCE, play's dvd's & BlueRays & 3D in MCE, no mucking around with codecs, plays ISO' s in MCE with virtual drive which is now seemless in W8MC where is was clunky in W7MC, Imon works, My Movies works perfectly, streams movies from my WHS 2011 Server, boots into MCE, auto logon and it's quicker than W7 and the main thing it's stable. The mouse is the same as with W7 no difference.

I had highend computers as HTPC's anyway for W7MC and all they needed was a Bios upgrade and all my hardware worked. In actual fact my HTPC computers are running better on W8 as they are using less resources.

The only reason I upgraded was that you get MCE for free until mid Jan 2013 for W8, and like W7 you will get 2-3 years use out of your HTPC's. I was due to clean my computers anyway because they had been ruuning so long due to W7 being stable and if I was going to do that I may as well go to W8, all my data (Recorded Tv, Music, Videos, Photos are on d: drives) and W8 like W7 has "Libraries" so it just picks up where W7 left off.

Now upgrading my study W7 desktop and test bed computer to W8 is a big step, 3 years of work on it and probably 70 programs, now this will be a ugrade not a total rebuild like my HTPC's.
Lucky, my test drive of Win8 on the HTPC was an unmitigated disaster that had me running back to 7 just to keep the wife happy. That said, even if I got it all to work the only thing stopping me is Media Browser atm. If I could get that to work properly I would make a second run at installing Win 8...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Robertus wrote:There nothing wrong with W8 as HTPC, my W8MC does the same as my W7MC does,
I've got 2 DMA2100's in use. There's no point in me even thinking about upgrading the HTPC to Windows 8 as long as Extenders don't work.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:14 am

https://github.com/petesmc/videobrowser/downloads

This mediabrowser recompile works in w8, it is a bit buggy mind... I'm hoping it gets updated.
Lee

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Robertus wrote:

My W7 HTPC works fine. There is no reason to change it. If 8MC had some new features, I might try it... but since it doesn't... if it ain't broke, I'm not going to "fix" it. I plan to get 10 years out of my HTPC... I'm not sure where you got your 2-3 years from. I bought quality hardware that should keep chugging away for 10 years easy. I might need to replace a drive here and there, but that's it.

W8 still has some compatibility issues with my tuners too, so that's another road block.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:53 am

Plus, you can't boot directly into WMC in Windows 8; ruining the STB experience. That alone is why I can't (not even won't) upgrade my HTPCs. Rocking Win8 on the desktop though.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:18 am

staknhalo wrote:Plus, you can't boot directly into WMC in Windows 8; ruining the STB experience. That alone is why I can't (not even won't) upgrade my HTPCs.
A number of people have posted solutions for this issue. You can create a scheduled job that runs on login that loads WMC.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:32 am

foxwood wrote:
staknhalo wrote:Plus, you can't boot directly into WMC in Windows 8; ruining the STB experience. That alone is why I can't (not even won't) upgrade my HTPCs.
A number of people have posted solutions for this issue. You can create a scheduled job that runs on login that loads WMC.
And it will boot directly into WMC bypassing the Start Screen?