[Drivers] Official Windows 8 Beta Drivers

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
RealCodeGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by RealCodeGuy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:21 am

Upgrade to Win 8 and yes, I uninstalled and re-installed.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:
Motz wrote:
JazJon wrote:Can anyone confirm if we can use 8 tuners on Windows 8 yet?

"@cetoncorp: Win 8 updates - Ceton InfiniTV beta driver & Ceton Companion Services beta now available http://t.co/L2F55ilz
"

Yes
Motz, what's the trick to configuring this? Media Center will only let me configure 4 tuners.
Excellent, it's time to upgrade then!
I'll try an upgrade and if it sucks I won't hesitate to do a clean install right away.
(It's easy to backup scheduled recordings)

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:Upgrade to Win 8 and yes, I uninstalled and re-installed.

Give the PC a reboot and try again.... Let me know :) it is a beta, but we tested it on multiple PCs.

x64 or x86?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 am

I was running the Windows 7 drivers also with no problem (on machine recently upgradeded to Windows 8) , upgrade to the windows 8 drivers. I ve got the same issue that "Snappjay" posted, According to the Ceton Diagnostic Tool, there is a red mark next to the Cablecard status, but says that the card has received the updated channel list from Comcast (Green Check Mark). It will not allow me to test a channel in the diagnostic tool, has a blue question mark next to it. . Do I need to repair the cable card with the cable company (same card, same InfiniTV) ? I did un-install the windows 7 drivers first.

I do however have a picture on all channels including HBO. I assume there is no need to run the Media Center Set Up again.

System:

HP Pavilion Elite e9240f
Win8 x64

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:44 pm

erkotz wrote:I would recommend the beta drivers
I was running WIN 7 drivers on Win 8 machine with no issues. Updated to Win 8 Drivers and frimware, now diagnositc has red mark saying cable card not paired and won't let me test channel, but all of my channels are working (including HBO), but there is noticeable delay changing channels which wasn't there before and pircture is badly distorted for first second after channel change.

**** UPDATE ****

Came home to find that the computer would no longer see the InfiniTV and Ceton Diagnostic Tool would no longer see the tuner. I reinstalled Win 8 driver, same problems as before. I uninstalled the Win 8 drivers and re-installed Win 7 drivers. InfiniTv instantly recognize by computer and Ceton Diagnostic tool reports everything paired properly and all channels present. Working like a charm.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:33 am

Motz wrote:
RealCodeGuy wrote:Upgrade to Win 8 and yes, I uninstalled and re-installed.

Give the PC a reboot and try again.... Let me know :) it is a beta, but we tested it on multiple PCs.

x64 or x86?
I rolled back to Win 7 when I found out there was no Win 8 support for the Echo. Also, my ripped Bluray's weren't playing right using TotalMedia Theater in Win 8. Too many problems so I went back to my trusty old friend. :D

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:34 am

Hey Ceton, any progress on the Win 8 drivers?

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:36 pm

snappjay wrote:This is odd...
after installing the new 8 drivers, my cablecard status now has a red minus next to "ask cable company to send validation signal".
I didn't expect any channels to work, but they seem to work fine.. (CNN, ESPN, TBS, and other copy once channels).

I did a reboot and it still has the red minus. Weird.
I have exactly the same problem and have opened a ticket with Ceton. Did you uninstall the old drivers before you installed the new ones?

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:12 pm

I'm having the above issues as well as intermittent and unexpected restarts usually in the middle of the night while my computer is asleep. I've emailed the dump logs to Ceton. Has anyone had issues with sleep and the InfiniTV drivers causing crashes/reboots?

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 pm

I know this thread concerns Windows 8, and because I had many problems similar to those experienced by others here, I reverted to Windows 7 temporarily. However today I noticed that the beta firmware update I thought I had run on Windows 8 (FW-1226) appeared to have not been run (brain fade?). So I decided to run it in Windows 7, since it is a firmware update it will be there when I go back to Windows 8. Once it completed and I rebooted my system I checked the signal levels and was surprised to see that they had increased by approximately 7.0 DB across the board. That is a pretty big deal for me because Comcrap has always had trouble delivering a good signal level in the high frequency range (775 - 800mhz) so some of my channels were borderline. After running this firmware update those channels that were running -10db are now running -3db. I didn't apply the other beta hardware update because the note said it only applied to Scientific American cable cards, but this one was definitely a jewel.

nordicpc

Post by nordicpc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 am

Hey guys, I'm wondering about setting up a network tuner on Win 8. The actual card is in a Server 2k8 R2 machine, setup and showing all over the network, but there is no way to bind the tuners to the Win 8 machine, and every time I open the Live TV Setup in MCE, it says no tuners available.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:20 am

nordicpc wrote:Hey guys, I'm wondering about setting up a network tuner on Win 8. The actual card is in a Server 2k8 R2 machine, setup and showing all over the network, but there is no way to bind the tuners to the Win 8 machine, and every time I open the Live TV Setup in MCE, it says no tuners available.

Network support doesn't work in Windows 8. Ceton hasn't said if it will in the future or not either. Would be nice if they can tell us though :P

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:59 am

Have a feeling that Ceton's attention right now is on getting the Echo running like it should. There have been nothing from them for a while on the Win8 drivers. I was running them for a while, but there were too many "odd things" going on, so I switched to the Win 7 Beta and they are working fine. What I mean by odd is when something unexpected happens and you say "that was odd". For those of you that has happened to, you know what I mean.

I'm not sure what WIN8 drivers would improve over the Win 7 drivers, but they seem to be working fine for me.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Diverge wrote:Network support doesn't work in Windows 8. Ceton hasn't said if it will in the future or not either. Would be nice if they can tell us though :P
If you install the InfiniTV card in a WIndows 8 machine, you can't share the Tuners out (Network Bridging). That doesn't mean that a Windows 8 machine can't use a Tuner on the network (every InfiniTV is a "network tuner", even when it's installed in the PC that's using it - that's why you get that 192.168.200 virtual network on the machine).

Some people have reported problems connecting to and holding a network tuner in Windows 8 - both HDHomeRunPrime tuners and shared/bridged InfinTV tuners that are housed in Win7 machines. But I don't remember seeing a specific cause or fix.

Klownicle

Post by Klownicle » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Diverge wrote:
nordicpc wrote:Hey guys, I'm wondering about setting up a network tuner on Win 8. The actual card is in a Server 2k8 R2 machine, setup and showing all over the network, but there is no way to bind the tuners to the Win 8 machine, and every time I open the Live TV Setup in MCE, it says no tuners available.

Network support doesn't work in Windows 8. Ceton hasn't said if it will in the future or not either. Would be nice if they can tell us though :P
Works for me and others. The automatic setup just doesn't work.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:56 pm

I see updated drivers are out as of 12/26

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Cowboy wrote:I see updated drivers are out as of 12/26
I don't see a change log for the Windows 8 version. Based on the Windows 7 change log, it appears the only changes were to better diagnostics handling. Can we get Ceton to chime in on this?

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:37 pm

When I upgraded fromWin 7 to Win 8 I was able to see both USB InfiniTV tuners for a total of 8 tuners in Media Center.
Now that I just did a clean in stall of Win 8 on my new Mac Mini, Windows won't let me use more than 4 tuners. Media Center even reports it detects additional tuners but the limit is 4. (Ceton Diagnostics reports all is well too)

I submitted a ticket, here's the status so far:

Posted on: 01 January 2013 09:43 PM
CetonInfiniTVDiagnostic_HTPC-JON_20130101_21-41.zip (548.80 KB)
Fresh WIndows 8 won't let me install more than 4 tuners. (but Media Center even says it"detects" all 8 but I'm limited to 4)
I tried reinstalling, clearing tuners, redetecting, rebooting, still stuck at 4 tuners. Why is the special Ceton limit over ride patch not working to get over 4 tuners? It was working before, but that was another computer that was upgraded from win 7 to 8. This is a brand new Mac Mini with a clean install of Win 8 Pro. Here is my diagnostic.

Ceton Support
Staff
Posted on: 01 January 2013 11:33 PM
Hi Jon,

We are still working on putting the finishing touches on our Windows 8 software package; however, as of right now the Windows 8 BETA software override for the tuner limit is not working. We will have this fixed in the final release.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,
Ceton Support

Jon
User

Posted on: 02 January 2013 01:04 AM
Oh......... ok, well kind of late to go back now. I guess I'll just live with 4 for now until your next package is ready. Is more than 4 tuner support days, weeks, or over a month away? (best guess as of now)
I'm loving the new Mac Mini quad core i7 with USB 3.0 ports by the way. Apple doesn't have official Windows 8 boot camp drivers yet either but I got everything working well enough for now.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm

I just installed the new drivers and I don't get the red check mark in diagnostics that says "Have your cable provider resend the activation signal again". I got that with the old beta drivers.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Cowboy wrote:I just installed the new drivers and I don't get the red check mark in diagnostics that says "Have your cable provider resend the activation signal again". I got that with the old beta drivers.
I noticed this as well. I was just hoping there's more to this update than just better diagnostics... Still having some sleep issues with my InfiniTV PCI which I was hoping would be resolved...