Multiple InfiniTV4 PCIe problems

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
theironunkind

HTPC Specs: Show details

Multiple InfiniTV4 PCIe problems

Post by theironunkind » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 pm

I have been waiting to post in these forums, hoping that I would be able to figure out my multiple problems, but with no success so far I thought I would open it up to all of the helpful people here.

First of all, let me say that I purchased my InfiniTV card knowing that there would probably be some technical problems. I have a lot of experience with computers and have built multiple rigs/htpc's before. I don't really watch that much TV, aside from sports. But after 2 1/2 months of dickering around with problem after problem, I just have to ask what I am doing wrong.

Problem #1 - Media Center Extenders lose connection after being turned off
I use 2 different XBOX360's as set-top boxes. I have them hardwired via Cat6 ethernet to a switch connected to my wireless router. Every time I turn off a 360 after a successful session of watching TV/recorded TV, I have to reset my computer with the infiniTV in it....otherwise it will not connect to Windows Media Center. Often, I just power on the XBox, try to connect, get the error message, go downstairs, restart the computer, and then the XBox will connect. This is a problem if a show I want to watch is recording, however. This has been a problem since Day 1 of installing the Ceton. I ran WMC before with absolutely no issues.

Problem #2 - Sports Tier channels will not display
One of the main reasons I wanted to get the Ceton was to be able to watch sports channels in HD without having to pay ridiculous amounts to Charter Cable for their hideously large HD Cable boxes. ESPN, NFL Network, TNT HD....those were the channels I wanted. Adding the Ceton would pay for itself in less than a year, considering that they wanted an extra $25/month for 2 HD boxes. The problems started once I added the Sports Tier package that gave me NFL Network/Red Zone Channel. These are in a separate pay tier, and I have had a lot of problems getting them to come through the Ceton consistently. For instance, right now, I am able to view all of my basic cable channels no problem, but if I tune to the NFL Network, I get a message "service is unavailable". My tuning adapter light is also blinking currently, not showing a solid tone. If I call Charter for a signal to be sent to the box, sometimes I will be able to get a solid tone (and thus those pay channels), but they will usually only come in for a couple of hours or so. If I change the channel, I won't be able to go back, and the TA will start blinking again. This will also lead to....

Problem #3 - Play Ready updates required.
This just started happening about 4 weeks ago, and is the biggest problem for me, and the one I just can't seem to figure out. Quite often I will get the message that a Play Ready update is required. I am thinking maybe this is because of the TA going in and out of connection, but I can't be sure. If I complete the update, the message will go away, but quite often within a day or two it will be asking to perform the update again. Sometimes this will lead to a blue screen showing the SDV1 or SDV2 error. Quite often it will mean that my programs are not recorded (the main feature I bought the Ceton for.) Sometimes after I perform the update I will get the "service unavailable" screen to go away by changing the channel. Sometimes not. I just can't ever be sure if my programs are going to record, or if my television is going to work. Just to be clear, I am able to finish the update every time (so not the PlayReady Update Incomplete errors I have also read about.)

Problem #4 - HDCP issues.
I am running an HD5750 card with a core i7. I run an HDMI directly out to a Sony television to display movies and games. Sometimes I will get an error message that the video cannot be displayed....if I pull out the HDMI cord, the picture will show up. It is not consistent however....all of my devices seem to be HDCP compliant. Why do I get this error?

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated. I have also submitted a ticket to Ceton. Something tells me that most of these problems are related to the tuning adapter, but I can't be sure. Thanks Again!

Iron Unkind

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:32 pm

Have you updated the Firmware on the Ceton To the latest release?

If so and you are still having problems ..

Try updating to the latest Diagnostic Utility Build and BETA Firmware here: http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/b ... er-update/

I believe there are some updates in here for Tuning Adapter issues that may fix your problems.. I am currently using the latest Utility and BETA Firmware (latest release) w/o issue. The latest Diagnostic utility is much improved IMO as well.
Is your Sony TV up to date with the latest Firmware as well? My Sony has the ability to update via Ethernet.. Check to make sure it's up to date as well if that is an option for you.

If you are still having issues I would open a ticket with Ceton.. Their Support Department is Excellent and should be able to help you out.
newfiend~

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:51 am

It would help to know if you are on a Cisco or Moto headend. TAs require a clean upstream connection so should be ahead of the tuner or fed with a splitter with one to the TA and the other to the tuner. Depending on the TA there are things you can check on that.

HDCP can be triggered by bad video stream from the cable company which requires a new handshake to reset. TWC has that problem here with local commercial roll ins that happens with HP 280n on HDMI connections. Sometimes going to a component connection if an option will solve that problem.

When you shut down your xbox, do you exit media center first? A power shut off will show an abrupt disconnect in the media center log and might be a cause of your issue. Again a component rather than HDMI might help as well.

Playready updates which are really just resets are probably related to the xbox issue you're having. If you go into TV and TV Signal if there are any playready issues (before the notice) you might see Playready Update listed. When I had this problem it completed so quickly that it was just re-writing authorizations and registry entries and not installing any updates at all. Once you solve the xbox issue, you'll probably have this solved as well.

Do the driver update recommended by newfiend and then go to the update tab in the diagnostics and check the beta box and check for updates. You might find both a FW and HW update. The HW update will require a full power down and restart not just a reboot since it needs to clear any memory information about the PCIe bus before you restart and loads the new drivers.

jchusky77

Post by jchusky77 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:22 pm

I had a similar issue with HDCP. Try updating your codecs. I ran a fresh install of Sharok007 Codecs and it cleared my HDCP issues.

And as another poster said, run the diagnostic utlities. CETON is excellent about replying to you and giving you different options to try.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:29 am

Problem #1
What Firewall/AV software are you using? Have you tried uninstalling it and see if the problem persists?

Problem #2
I would recommend you open a support ticket with us for this issue. A number of things could cause this, and I need more data to investigate

Problem #3
I would also recommed that you open a support ticket with us for this. Alternatively, you can try resetdrm from this KB article, but be warned, THIS WILL MAKE ANY EXISTING PROTECTED CONTENT UNWATCHABLE http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976590

Problem #4
What is the exact text of the error you are getting?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation