Help-No TV Playback w/ Echo using an 802.11n Bridge

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
reggie14

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help-No TV Playback w/ Echo using an 802.11n Bridge

Post by reggie14 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 am

This is admittedly posted over at AVS and on the Ceton beta forums, but maybe some folks here have more experience with this.

I have a dedicated Win7 Pro x64 box acting as my WMC server, with a HDHR Prime for recording. It's on a gigabit network, but that network is bridged to another room using a pair of Netgear wnhde111 5ghz 802.11n bridges. I've done some benchmarking with these bridges and I get very consistent 90-95mbit/sec speeds, perhaps because there are no other 5ghz networks in my area. My Ceton Echo is connected to a switch that's on the other side of that bridge from my WMC server.

I've been struggling to get live TV and recordings to play back on the Echo. When I try to play something back I just get a blank screen. On the other hand, if I take a wtv recordings from my HDHR Prime and I remux it to an mpg file (just remuxing- not encoding), then it plays back fine. Alternatively, if I hardwire my Echo to the same switch as my WMC server then everything works. Unfortunately, due to the layout of my townhouse, wiring the house with cat5 isn't an option. And I don't have any coax in the wall to use with MoCA, either.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:31 am

what happens when you hook up a laptop to the wireless and point to the HTPC and try to play a show--either in WMC or in WMP?

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:23 am

adam1991 wrote:what happens when you hook up a laptop to the wireless and point to the HTPC and try to play a show--either in WMC or in WMP?
Good idea. I just tried hooking up my laptop to the bridge. The video plays back fine in WMP.

scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:40 am

My 802.11ac router and bridge work just fine.
What happens when you run the network tuner and look at the bar graph? do you have full set of green bars?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:41 am

My recommendation would be to mirror switch ports (or put hubs) on both sides and do simultaneous packet captures, and see what differs. Also, to clarify, are these both just bridges (not routers)?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation