NIC settings return to default after reboot

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
ahwman

HTPC Specs: Show details

NIC settings return to default after reboot

Post by ahwman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:54 pm

I just did a clean install of Windows 8 on my HTPC. That said, everything is working very well with one exception. I changed the settings on my NIC to wake the computer with ANY network activity vs. defaulting to magic packet only. I did this so that the Companion app could wake my computer over LAN as well as WAN. With this change, the behavior is as expected, however each time I reboot my computer, the NIC settings return to default and will only wake for a magic packet. Since this is a fresh install vs. an upgrade I'm confident it's not something I installed or changed from my end...

Ay ideas?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:23 pm

See if the network card chipset maker has drivers. If it is a realtek card or broadcom then download the correct driver directly from the manufacturer since the ones in windows update are not the best drivers for use.
Time is on my side.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Realtek controller and interestingly enough there was an updated driver available on their site which I installed. That said however, after rebooting - the power management settings return to default as before. :(

I'm starting to wonder if this is simply a Windows 8 bug...

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:50 pm

See if your PC has the same settings in the BIOS
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation