Android 4.2 Multiple User Accounts and Licensing

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
nixsoft

HTPC Specs: Show details

Android 4.2 Multiple User Accounts and Licensing

Post by nixsoft » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:50 am

I just had my Google Nexus 7 updated to Android 4.2.

4.2 now supports multiple users on a device. I created additional users on my tablet and now when they sign on to the device, they cannot get to the Ceton Companion App. I went back to the play store to re-install for the tablet but Google Play wants to charge another fee to intall the app on the same device under a different profile.

I have already bought the app for my family's IPad and Nexus 7.

Is there a way to install Ceton Companion on a single device so it is available for all user accounts on that device without having to re-purchase the app for each user?

Thanks!

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:45 am

I do not have 4.2, but I thought that the latest version of google play had the ability to "add an account" for purchases?

So try this if it works and let us know...

- start google play
- select "options" (3 dots on top of each other on some devices, not sure what it may look like on yours, usually at the top right of the screen)
- select accounts
- select "add account"
- enter the credentials for the "primary" account that has the purchase associated with it.
Time is on my side.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Yeah I am not sure exactly how it works with the new 4.2 stuff and multiple users, however I assume it is exactly the same as separate devices. This means that the purchase and purchase of any app is tied to your user account that you purchased it from. So you would need to do exactly what TeddyR has said. I tested this myself and the app installs and passes verification perfect.

I have also added this into our FAQ: http://cetoncorp.com/2012/11/15/how-can ... n-android/
I Write, Code, and Tweet

nixsoft

Post by nixsoft » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks!

It looks like this works. I installed Ceton Companion from the Play Store after adding the original account. It re-downloaded the app (without charge) and now it is asking me to go through initial setup again. So, It appears that the app is now stored twice on the device using different data stores to hold the configuration.

There is always so much to learn!