HTPC Dual HDMI output video to VHD-H2YVs

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
rawalker

HTPC Specs: Show details

HTPC Dual HDMI output video to VHD-H2YVs

Post by rawalker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 am

I recently traded in my 2 cable boxes for a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and now all my recordings are copy protected.
I formerly used a pair of Hauppauge HD PVR and was able to record to DVD as a 1080i Blu ray disk using the component output exploit. I'm contemplating using the second HDMI output on my videocard conected to a ViewHD VHD-H2YVs that converts to RCA component out 1080i video with SPDIF 5.1 audio and feed this to a HD PVR. In theory this should be able to take advantage of the Component HD Loophole when I play the recordings in real time while re-recording them in 1080i sans copy protection. Because this is using the component I/O exploit with all legal equipment I believe I'm stay within the fair use timeshifting requirements of copyright law and Digital Millenium Act be that I'm going throught legal decoding and then re-encoding. At least as within the laws as the HD-PVR is when used with a cable box.

I'm not however writing this as a debate on the legalities of using this equipment in this way. My sole purpose is to regain the ability to edit and backup my recordings made with Windows Mediacenter to the same level I had using cableboxes and store these timeshifted programs without commercials to DVD and/or Blu ray for my own personal use. If anyone has any input on an alternate method or experience with this configuration please add any constructive advise.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:05 am

I don't think your plan will work. The ViewHD VHD-H2YV does not support HDCP, which is required when viewing copy-protected content.

You could use an media center extender, playback your content, and then capture the component output from the extender.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:29 pm

The HDFury supports HDCP and does basically the same thing. Just be warned, even the HDFury website states the device violates the DMCA, so you may not be able to get one shipped here.

shunnexy

Post by shunnexy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:44 am

How do I connect my laptop to my cable box with an hdmi cord? My Sony VAIO laptop has an hdmi output, I have the cable, and plug it into the comcast cable box hdmi port. However, I still can't seem to get my laptop screen to display on my tv. How do I do this?
Last edited by shunnexy on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:06 pm

You must plug your laptop directly into the TV, or an AV receiver that has HDMI input. Whilst I don't know the Comcast box, I assume it cannot act as a throughput for the laptop to the TV.