XBOX extender keeps loosing connection Windows 8

Pearljamaaron

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Pearljamaaron » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 am

Pearljamaaron wrote:
foxwood wrote:What router are you using?
Apple Airport Extreme with a Gigabit switch (forget the brand name).... Maybe I should check that they are all in the switch and not both the router and the switch? I will have to check when I get home...
Ok so, when I got home, I installed the latest drivers from the hauppage website for my 3 tuners, and my network card. I made sure my desktop, and 3 Xbox's were on the switch (and not some on the router and some not) and now it seems to work!

Probably just a driver issue as stated earlier.

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 am

Pearljamaaron wrote:
Pearljamaaron wrote:
foxwood wrote:What router are you using?
Apple Airport Extreme with a Gigabit switch (forget the brand name).... Maybe I should check that they are all in the switch and not both the router and the switch? I will have to check when I get home...
Ok so, when I got home, I installed the latest drivers from the hauppage website for my 3 tuners, and my network card. I made sure my desktop, and 3 Xbox's were on the switch (and not some on the router and some not) and now it seems to work!

Ok it screwed up again.... This is really annoying!!! So this time I deleted I uninstalled all the extenders from my pc then I deleted the app out of xbox ( see instructions here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... spx#392149

It's working at the moment.... Hopefully this is it...

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Pearljamaaron wrote:What router are you using?

Ok it screwed up again.... This is really annoying!!! So this time I deleted I uninstalled all the extenders from my pc then I deleted the app out of xbox ( see instructions here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox ... spx#392149

It's working at the moment.... Hopefully this is it...
Ok well this worked for one day.... but thats it... It seems like when I connect with a certain one of my xbox's, it screws up... and only after about 24 hours... It also seems to delete, or reset my TV Setup!! It creates a new mcepgX-X.db file....on my computer... This seems like it happens when it starts looping.... Anybody else have any ideas?? If not, I am going back to Win 7 this weekend....

Any help would be appreciated!! Even guessing!

BenSanford

Post by BenSanford » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm

I have similar problems with other extenders. WMC works fine on the PC, but The Ceton Echo extender won't work on Win 8 (Ceton doesn't support it yet). My Linksys DMA2100 extender also won't work on Win 8. I haven't tried it with an XBOX yet, but will in the next day or so. My guess is that it won't work reliably either...
Ben Sanford
Falls Church, VA

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:54 pm

BenSanford wrote:I have similar problems with other extenders. WMC works fine on the PC, but The Ceton Echo extender won't work on Win 8 (Ceton doesn't support it yet). My Linksys DMA2100 extender also won't work on Win 8. I haven't tried it with an XBOX yet, but will in the next day or so. My guess is that it won't work reliably either...
Windows 8 doesn't include certain technologies that the Linksys DMA2100 and Ceton Echo require to work as Extenders. The XBox360 can use alternative technologies that are included in Windows 8 to act as an Extender, so at this time, the XBox 360 is the only Extender that works with Windows 8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2796618

Note that the missing functionality is core Windows OS functionality, not Media Center functionality, so the problem can't be fixed in Media center itself, and nobody knows whether Ceton will be able to add the necessary functionality to the Echo (or whether Microsoft will let them add that functionality to the Echo).

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:40 pm

foxwood wrote:nobody knows whether Ceton will be able to add the necessary functionality to the Echo (or whether Microsoft will let them add that functionality to the Echo).
If they say no, I'm curious as to if it would be for RDP protocol security; which I could understand (but would suck), or if it were to simply be 'we're not making it available'.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:12 am

At this point, I doubt we'll ever learn "why not". A solution will either be forthcoming, or it will be a new itration of softsled, whispered about by people who have an inkling of an idea about what might have happened, but never ever spoken of by people who might actually know something concrete.

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Ok well that settles it. Going back to Windows 7. Maybe I will try it again in the future.

peeky1323

Post by peeky1323 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi everyone,

A bit of an update if anyone is interested. I once again installed form fresh and I got 1 of my 2 xboxes to connect. I updated all the drivers on Win 8, enabled Remote connections from all versions of the RDP client, set the power save on the wireless card to full, there was also a setting on my card properties asking if media streaming or gaming was on my network, this was set ot "no" so I set it to yes. This then allowed me to connect up my xbox that had a wireless card in it. My other xbox will still not connect, and this one is exactly same patch level, is on a Powerline home plug adapter. I am about the swap out the wifi adapter on the working XBOX and see if I can the other to connect with that. Wierd.

Matt

IgnoringMyWife

Post by IgnoringMyWife » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm having Connection Failure as well. Here is the situation:

A Windows 8 Dell PC running Media Center is on a wired network and I have 3 Xbox 360s acting as Media Center extenders. The extenders are also wired an on the same switch that is connected to the router; the PC is connected to the router. All the devices are assigned their own static IP. Two of the 360s (2009 models) function just fine with Media Center. A couple weeks ago the newest 360 (2011 - Xbox 360 "S" Model 1439) started loosing network connection when idle in Media Center (stays connected if actually watching a show). It then reconnects and loops this cycle every 70 seconds or so. The connection to LIVE also drops if idle while in the Xbox 360 dashboard, but after about 2 minutes. In either case, IR or controller commands do not always illicit a response from the 360.

I've tried different cables, different ports on the switch/router, resetting the devices, resetting xbox network settings, etc.

The best I can guess is a software/firmware update specifically for models post-2009 has caused this problem. If anyone otherwise finds a solution, I'd love to hear it.

DigitalAmoeba

Post by DigitalAmoeba » Sat May 11, 2013 11:34 am

While initial setup with my 2x Xbox 360 extenders under Windows 8 RTM was fine and stable after initial round of patches, for over 4 months with latest install, more recently I've now been having a problem where both my 360 extenders are no longer able to successfully connect to my PC after each time I reboot my PC.

As I don't tend to re-boot my PC that often it's something I'm not sure when it started happening and I didn't initially link the reboot of my PC to the extender losing connection the next time I tried to watch MCE via it!

While a slightly different way round than the original poster on this thread one thing that might have triggered this change in behaviour is that I more recently had to replace one of my original white Xbox 360's with a new 360 Slim model as the original one finally gave up the ghost. I can't be 100% sure but I believe it's only since having 1x Original and 1x Slim successfully connected into my Win 8 Media Centre PC that I've been having this problem.

Both 360's stay showing up inside Media Centre > Settings > Extenders and either fresh or reconfigure via 8 digit code will get them both back connected and working again across multiple days and Xbox sessions...but as soon as I reboot my PC I'll need to setup them up again! Even after loosing MCE successful connection both Xboxes are happy to stream content from the PC via old 'System Video Player' option across the network - Both plugged in via wired CAT5

Any help or ideas welcomed...

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:37 pm

fofanaus wrote:Guess what? I downgraded back to Windows 7 and all my problem with XBox connectivity disappeared. It's a first time I'm rolling back to previous version of Windows without any regrets.
Repeat after me: if it's not broken, don't fix it.

SHINY! SHINY! SHINY! isn't all it's cracked up to be.

DigitalAmoeba

Post by DigitalAmoeba » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:33 pm

Just to let all know that I seem to have solved the issue with my newer Xbox Slim needing to be re-configured for Media Centre Extender every time I restarted my host MCE PC.

Seems like for some reason the Xbox Slim needed me to assign it a fixed internal network IP via my home router's admin screens. Not something either of my old original Xbox 360's ever needed or had.

Weird, but it's fixed my problem, so now back happily using Windows 8 as my Media Centre PC with 1x Xbox 360 Arcade and 1x Xbox 360 Slim as extenders