XBOX extender keeps loosing connection Windows 8

peeky1323

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBOX extender keeps loosing connection Windows 8

Post by peeky1323 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:26 am

HI,

I have just upgraded last week to Windows 8 with Media Center, from 7 Home Premium. The Windows 8 MCE works fine, but my XBOX 360 extender keeps saying it can't contact Media Center. If I rerun the setup, it fails first time, then completes but the next time I start the XBOX and try to connect it again says it can't find media center and I have to rerun setup.

Anyone else seen this or have a by suggestions please?

Thanks,

Matt

peeky1323

Post by peeky1323 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi,

No one one else is having this? It's happening both my Xbox's now. WAF is through the floor too :thumbdown:

No other software has ever been installed except my Channel Logo and firefox, and now under 8 the Netflix App but the problem started before then.

Thanks,

Matt

peeky1323

Post by peeky1323 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm

It was the Netflix and other apps that makes the upgrade worth it for me.

Mod edited

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:18 am

WAF would ruin that for me.

jgeurian21

Post by jgeurian21 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:46 am

The only similar issue I have had was the NIC would drop connection. A restart would get it going, but only last about 30 minutes. I got the direct driver update from Realtek and works like a charm. I will say that on my first attempt I upgraded from a current Windows 7 install into Windows 8 and then the WMC addon. I had lots of problems and then just decide to install from a clean version (no saved files). Worked better the next time, but I still had issues. Personally I have 2 HTPCs that I use: one for me and the kids and one for my wife. The one for the wife is Windows 7 period. My second machine is what I tried 8 on and I can tell my kids to be quite while Daddy tries something. And again personally, I have had tons of issues with 8 WMC. From waking on LAN to the TV Archiver for WHS I have had quite a few issues that will keep my HTPCs on 7 for a bit.

peeky1323

Post by peeky1323 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:22 pm

Hi,

Well I am giving it once last try tonight with a clean install of 8 thinking... I mean hoping that will help. If not I am reverting back to the image I took of Win7.

giggidy giggidy

Matt

Scott99

Post by Scott99 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:33 am

I have had nothing but problems with connecting my Xbox extender to my recently upgraded Windows 8 computer. I have spent many many hours online and many hours with Microsoft support. The most time was spent with the media center experts and at the end of the call they had given up with no further help other than to suggest going back to Windows 7 or try reinstalling Windows 8. After reinstalling Windows 8 I still had problems. However, I \ran across a post about the Xbox app causing problems. I completely deleted the Xbox app and now I'm able to connect to the Win 8 PC. Now I have a new problem. Once I disconnect the Xbox, I cannot reconnect until I restart the Win 8 PC. Still troubleshooting.

fofanaus

Post by fofanaus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 pm

I have this problem too. Just upgraded to Windows 8, got Media Center, now my Xbox is dropping connection randomly. It was working solid with Windows 7 MC. Initially I considered some other factors ( I replaced a motherboard on PC), but now I see that more people reporting this problem.
I will probably create an image from current Windows 8 installation (just in case if I ever want to go back) and rollback to Windows 7.
So far I don't see any (even tiny) advantages of Windows 8 Media Center over Windows 7.

fofanaus

Post by fofanaus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Also, I guess the reason that this problem with XBox extender dropping connection (with Windows 8) is rarely reported is because only small percentage of Windows 7 users upgraded to Windows 8. Now even smaller percentage of them are using MC on Windows 8 and probably just a few using Xbox extender with Windows 8.

Scott99

Post by Scott99 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 am

I am still having major issues with Windows 8 and the Xbox extender. I have had microsoft support (level 2) taking remote access of my computer the past 5 days straight. They have worked on it around a total of 24 hours without any luck. They can get it to connect but as soon as I turn off the Xbox and turn it back on, it will not reconnect. Did a fresh install of Windows 8 from DVD and still no luck. I guess I'm going back to Windows 7. This is really sad.

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 am

Thats a bummer I was thinking about upgrading to w8. But all I use is 360 extenders so I hate hearing this.

fofanaus

Post by fofanaus » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Guess what? I downgraded back to Windows 7 and all my problem with XBox connectivity disappeared. It's a first time I'm rolling back to previous version of Windows without any regrets.
And you know what the funniest thing about my brief experience with Windows 8 on my HTPC was? I can't open any application from Metro interface, since my screen resolution was set to 720p, and Windows 8 complained that my resolution is too low! I could go only to Desktop tile and then operate thru familiar Windows 7 desktop (minus Start menu).

Scott99

Post by Scott99 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 am

Okay, finally got it working. Had to go to each hardware manufacturer and get the latest drivers. Device Manager showed that the drivers were the most recent but that was not always the case. Especially important were the Bios and Network card drivers. Now, it connects without any problems. TV and music seem to be playing fine for now.

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:27 pm

fofanaus wrote: I can't open any application from Metro interface, since my screen resolution was set to 720p, and Windows 8 complained that my resolution is too low!
You need to set your resolution at 1980 x 1080 and then search the Metro UI for "Easy Access". An option will become available called "Make everything bigger". The Metro UI screen will then become a lot easier to view and use on an HD TV

peeky1323

Post by peeky1323 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Wow, interesting that the drivers may have fixed this. I got new drivers for my graphics card and NIC but nothing else. If I can summon up the stamina I might have another go.

dizzylizzy245

Post by dizzylizzy245 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi All,
I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Ultimate machine to windows 8 Pro. I received the free product key for media center and all installed OK. This was a new install on a new hard drive.
I have no compatibility issues with any programs so far.
On media center, I setup my XBOX360 as an extender and it installed first time no problems.
When I now go to my XBOX and click on the media center app, it connects straight away and the media center UI appears on the TV.
The problem I have is that after about 28 seconds (it is the same time all the time), the connection drops out and I get the blue screen asking to reconnect or cancel.
If I click reconnect it will reconnect every time without fail but again after 28(ish) seconds it you disconnect again.
There have been no hardware upgrades, network infrastructure upgrades etc (just a new OS). The network is all wired with fixed IP addresses on all devices (PC, Router, XBOX).
If I replace the hard drive with the Windows 7 OS back, all works fine.
I have enabled the media streaming on the XBOX in the "Media Streaming Options" in Windows 8.
I have also tried it with the Windows Firewall disabled.
Media centre works fine on the PC, no issues.
In the event viewer every time is the following: UPnP digital media renderer failed to start.
Am I missing something or are there any new settings I need to enable in Windows 8?
Thanks.

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:41 pm

I have the same problem... Disconnects after 30 seconds and re-connects.. basically it keeps looping. I am running a Dell PC is this common with you guys too? I am going to try to upgrade some drivers and see if it helps.

Has anybody figured out a solution? I really like the new media center.. Seems to work a lot faster! I now have all my OTA channels and my cable channels integrated with no issues too!

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 pm

Pearljamaaron wrote:I have the same problem... Disconnects after 30 seconds and re-connects.. basically it keeps looping. I am running a Dell PC is this common with you guys too? I am going to try to upgrade some drivers and see if it helps.

Has anybody figured out a solution? I really like the new media center.. Seems to work a lot faster! I now have all my OTA channels and my cable channels integrated with no issues too!
Actually, my wife said it works fine on one of my 3 xbox extenders.... and thats the one I have not upgraded the Xbox software to the newer interface.... Maybe deleting the app on the xbox and putting it back will work?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:44 pm

What router are you using?

Pearljamaaron

Post by Pearljamaaron » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 pm

foxwood wrote:What router are you using?
Apple Airport Extreme with a Gigabit switch (forget the brand name).... Maybe I should check that they are all in the switch and not both the router and the switch? I will have to check when I get home...