Media Center Connector for WHS

skioutwest

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center Connector for WHS

Post by skioutwest » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:20 pm

When using Windows 7, I used Media Center Connector to archive all my TV shows onto my Windows Home Server. This was installed through either a notification in the WMC interface, or via an icon that was added to the Start menu.

In Windows 8, neither option exists. Does anyone know how to install this feature?

Thanks!

-Mark

STC

Post by STC » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:31 pm

Fire up a web browser on the Windows 8 machine and type: http://connect *Oops excuse me that is for Small Business Server, type: http://whsservername/connect
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:33 am

If your still on WHS V1 the Windows Media Center Connector icon appears on the new Metro start menu, it did for me.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

STC

Post by STC » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 am

Have I misunderstood?

Have you already connected Win8 to the WHS server?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:53 am

STC wrote:Have I misunderstood?

That's the way I read it, he already had the WHS Connector installed but was looking for the Windows Media Center Connector icon to install that.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

Twitch

Post by Twitch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:28 pm

I use WHS 2011, and I did NOT get the WMC Connector install pop up like I did in 7. (Everything else has worked great with it though!)
Wile I can't really say it's a big deal for me, if anyone finds a way to get it please post here.
Thx-

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

I found with the upgrade from W7 to W8 the 'Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service' dows not run due to an error. I think during the installation of the WHS connector, the ehRecObj.dll is linked somehow and because W8 uses the .NET 4.0 version of this dll, you have to uninstall the WHS Connector and re-install it so the proper dll-version is linked (or embedded or whatever the proper term is for it).

At least it worked in my W8 HTPC after this.

.Nico

skioutwest

Post by skioutwest » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:50 pm

STC wrote:Have I misunderstood?

Yeah....I already had my Home Server connected, but did not get the shortcut to install the media center connecter that allows for the archiving of Recorded TV. I tried to uninstall the Home Server Connector and just reinstalled....will see if that fixes the problem for me as well.

Thanks all!!

-Mark

skioutwest

Post by skioutwest » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm

.Nico wrote:I found with the upgrade from W7 to W8 the 'Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service' dows not run due to an error. I think during the installation of the WHS connector, the ehRecObj.dll is linked somehow and because W8 uses the .NET 4.0 version of this dll, you have to uninstall the WHS Connector and re-install it so the proper dll-version is linked (or embedded or whatever the proper term is for it).

At least it worked in my W8 HTPC after this.

.Nico
Appears that it is working now. Thanks .Nico!! I actually did not get the shortcut to install the media center connector, but I see it listed on my media center menu already....Thanks again!!

-Mark

evergreen.97

Post by evergreen.97 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Another thanks to .Nico.

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 recently there was no "Windows Server Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service" installed. After uninstalling / reinstalling the WHS connector the Home Server menu item within Media Center was present and the transfer archive service was installed. Running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit and WHS 2011 (Rollup 4?).

-Joe