Steps to start "Watch live TV"? Wife Friendly?

wooderson

HTPC Specs: Show details

Steps to start "Watch live TV"? Wife Friendly?

Post by wooderson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:25 pm

We just bought a brand new AiO computer for the kitchen, it's replacing an underpowered netbook that sets next to a small TV. Too much clutter, and the netbook is horrible. My hope is that this new computer can pull double duty, and replace the TV as well. I have a AverTV Hybrid Max USB tuner.

The new PC will come with Win7, but I'd like to use WIn8 to use the touch screen features, and so my kids can learn a new OS.

Question: Once set up, how difficult is it to start and stop the "watch live TV" function? Are there a lot of steps? My wife has very little tolerance for these sorts of things. If it's more involved than turning on a traditional TV, then I might need to reconsider.

Before I upgrade to Win8 this weekend, would one OS be easier/harder than the other with regards to starting live TV? We probably won't use the DVR capability much.

I'm planning on buying an MCE remote. Can you start watching TV from just that remote, or do you need to physically interact directly with the PC to start (or switch to) the MCE app first?

Thanks.

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 pm

I'd suggest Windows 7 for ease of use concerning Media Center. You'll have to use task scheduler to start MC in Windows 8 and also get it to switch to Media Center screen. I can get Media Center to start in Win8, but it still runs in the background behind the tiles. I just went back to Windows 7

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:31 pm

If U use a mc remote you press the green button to access WMC in 7&8 the only difference is you can natively start up in mediacenter on 7. If U use internet etc on it I'd go 8, no doubt the wife will like the apps....
Lee

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:30 pm

To answer the actual question, you can have Media Center go straight to Live TV - there's also a "Live TV" button on most Media Center remotes.

If you create a shortcut for Media Center and add

Code: Select all

/homepage:VideoFullscreen.xml /PushStartPage:True
as a parameter, Media Center should start straight into Live TV mode.

The real question, though, is what do you want the normal workflow to be. Will the PC be starting up every time it's turned on? Or do you just want it to wake from sleep when needed? You'll need to make the Live TV stream stop if you want the PC to sleep - if your family remember to hit the Stop button when they're done, you can set the system up to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity, whereas if they get in the habit of just turning off the screen, the system will end up running 24x7.

There's a list of startup shortcuts on
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24 ... omize.html