Strange things happen when system time is incorrect

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange things happen when system time is incorrect

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:36 am

Daylight Saving Time ended yesterday. My HTPC and all the other PC's in my house are set to automatically adjust for DST. Yesterday, however, my HTPC was off by an hour... in the wrong direction. It was as if Windows had adjusted itself 2 hours back instead of 1 hour back.

I believe the problem may have been that my son did me a "favor" by adjusting the time on the HTPC for me. The clock on top of my HTPC automatically adjusts itself for DST, and my son may have thought that the clock was an hour ahead, and so was Windows (because they were both on the same time). I think he probably moved Windows back an hour (which was unnecessary, because Windows had already done so).

Yesterday evening, we were watching recorded/live TV on three of my TV's. Two are connected to extenders, and one is connected to the PC.

Oddly, the Linksys DMA-2200 could not play protected content. One of my HP X280N extenders was playing protected content, but it was stuttering badly. It would play for about 30 seconds, pause for half a second, and then continue pausing every 30 seconds. The TV that is connected to the PC was working normally.

My daughter never complained about her TV stuttering. My step-daughter was the one who alerted me to the problem... because she couldn't watch a kids' show that we recorded for her... the DMA-2200 displayed the "cannot copy" error message.

I corrected the time in Windows, rebooted the PC, and restarted the extenders and all was well.

I just thought this might be good information for someone in the future, if they are having trouble with their extenders. Check your system clock.