Total Noob HTPC Build

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Beau

HTPC Specs: Show details

Total Noob HTPC Build

Post by Beau » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:18 am

Hi all,

Looking to build a htpc. Will be used for Bluray playback as well as music and web surfing. Would like to be able to do basic wordprocessing and photo archiving as well but no gaming at all.
Form factor has to be *tiny* Apart from that I really dont know what I need. Mini itx?, SSD? RAM?
Bout the only thing I do know is I want a slot load BD drive to suit the case Im building.
My main priority is audio playback. The plan is to use a standalone USB DAC to feed my stereo setup, if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 am

MiniITX works, just make sure it has the slots you are going to need. If you are going to get an internal TV tuner, you'll need at least one pcie slot. 4GB is probably the least amount of RAM you want, but it's so cheap now you might as well get more. I also like having a case with an internal IR receiver.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:18 am

OK, I'll bite.

Tiny is fine, but expect to pay a little more... and to be limited on how much hard drive space you can put inside the case. Also, heat becomes a larger issue with smaller cases.

A few questions:

1) How many extenders, if any, do you want to run simultaneously? In case you don't know, an "extender for Windows Media Center" is a device that allows you to watch up to 6 TV's (connected to your PC) simultaneously (including the TV that is connected directly to the video port on the PC). Five TV's may be connected to extenders, which are then connected to your PC via Ethernet. One TV may be connected to the PC itself. All six TV's can then share all recorded TV, the TV Guide, recorded TV schedule, and some other video files depending on encoding type. All pictures and music can also be shared.

2) What is your budget?

3) Why do you want to use a USB DAC? Doesn't your AVR have an optical audio input? What about HDMI inputs on the AVR?

4) How much storage space do you want for recorded TV? Recorded TV takes about 6-8GB per hour (HD).

5) How much storage space do you want for music/pictures/videos?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:21 am

Oh, also... in what country are you? Do you plan to use cable/OTA/satellite?

Beau

Post by Beau » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:41 am

Just the one TV, no need for recording etc so no extenders I guess. It'll just be used to playback music, surf web, play Blurays etc.
The USB DAC is because It'll be connected to a home built amp, no digital inputs.
Storage space for pics, Im not sure. I do a bit of photograhy so around 10,000 images at the moment but thats not a big issue.
Music storage, will all be stored as 24/96 FLAC, approximately 2000 songs.
Hope that helps.