InfiniTV Not Detected by PC After Adding Graphics Card

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
PeteS457

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV Not Detected by PC After Adding Graphics Card

Post by PeteS457 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi all. I built my HTPC about three years ago with an ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard with onboard nvidia 9300 graphics - which I have been using. I added my Ceton InfiniTV card as soon as they were released over a year ago. Overall, I've been quite pleased except for a few HDMI/HDCP handshaking issues from time to time. However, I recently bought a new Denon AVR-2113 and a new Samsung 3D TV (65ES8000), both of which support HDMI 1.4a. Anyway, I decided today to test a Galaxy GT 440 graphics card so I can play Bluray 3D. My infiniTV is in the PCIe x1 slot and I inserted the GT 440 into the PCIe x16 slot. The video card works fine in my setup, but the PC no longer detects my infiniTV. Occasionally, I will see a few flashing blue lights and then a red light on the infiniTV for about 5 seconds, then nothing. The diagnostic tool just stays on "Searching for infiniTV". If I remove the graphics card from the PCIe x16 slot and return to onboard graphics, the infiniTV works fine again. I have scoured the BIOS to see if there are settings I'm missing, but I can't find anything. I have a Corsair 450W power supply, but I think the setup has enough power.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

brett_mce

Post by brett_mce » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Try turning off your firewall first.. (don't leave it off)... just try it, then see if it can connect
try plug into ANY other PCIE slot

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 am

If you aren't already on it, try upgrading to our beta FW (available after you install the beta drivers)
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Double-check that the InfiniTV is properly seated - the early ones had a slight problem with the angle of the rear-bracket, and it's possible that you dislodged it when installing the new Graphics card.

Also, if the InfiniTV was priginally in the PCIex16 slot, and you just moved it to the x1 slot, make sure that it works there with out the graphics card installed in the x16 slot. It shouldn't be a problem, but it's worth checking.

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Well, well....per erkotz's suggestion, I upgraded to the beta drivers dated 2012-Oct-23, went to the Upgrade section of the new diagnostic tool and saw the firmware updates (1.1.8.2/6289) and installed those. Lo and behold, everything seems to work fine now - the infiniTV and GT 440 card work together.

I guess I'm a bit surprised that this firmware update has been out since April and I didn't know about it. I was never notified of the available firmware although I check for updates once a month from the diagnostic tool. Also, I see that there are already a second set of beta drivers/firmware in the Update section. Do you suggest I upgrade to those also?

Lastly, I do notice in the new diagnostics that the tuners have a pretty high temp (approx 62 degrees - isn't that high?). And the tuners have a big range of signal levels (+1.6/-7.4/-6.5/-8.5)? Is this something I should be concerned about? Is this maybe just because the diagnostics are beta?

Once again, thanks Eric. You're great.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Glad to hear that - as you saw, the beta update increases compatibility with certain PCIe controllers.

Feel free to upgrade to the new set or stay tight, depending on your desire to live on the bleeding edge or not :)

Signal levels and SNR will vary per channel (technically per QAM), so this can be normal. As far as temperature, that's a bit hot, but still within spec (we recommend it be no hotter than 65°C), so you should be fine.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

PeteS457

Post by PeteS457 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:12 pm

I may have replied too soon (out of my initial exuberance). Due to some tedious 3D testing I'm doing with this graphics card (and failing miserably btw), I've rebooted 4-5 times today. Once - for whatever reason - the cablecard didn't register upon bootup. But every other time, it has booted up fine. I like being on the bleeding edge and I enjoy testing beta software. But I've too many variables already in my testing soup, so I'll probably hold off on upgrading to the new beta drivers (unless I do continue to have problems).

I knew the card was specified to go up to 65 C. But I was a bit sensitive wondering if the proximity of the infiniTV and the GT 440 in the adjacent PCIe slots might cause a heat problem. I have an Antec Fusion case, so I'm hoping the ventilation is OK.

Thanks once again.