Available for pre-order at Newegg!

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:23 am

Adam, are you in the beta? Just curious. I haven't seen your name on the beta forums. I'm in the beta (surprise!)... but I can't comment too much here.

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:56 am

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815706003

$179 with $10 Promo Gift card from Newegg..

[Moderator note: topics merged; please search before posting]

tad

Post by tad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:43 pm

mdavej wrote:Got an email about it from Ceton this morning. Note that you also get a $10 gift card.

Would also like to know if 1080P works yet. So far only 720P.
I really hope they get 1080p working. I could see that being a dealbreaker for many...

STC

Post by STC » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 pm

1080p is still slated for launch.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

GregSilver

Post by GregSilver » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I have been following the echo since its first press release. I am still on the fence about whether or not to order one though. What makes this unit worth the cost compared to an xbox 360?

This is not a bash towards the echo, I am actually wanting to know what true benefits it has.

For me, I will only have 1 or 2 extenders in my home. So using dual band wireless for them is a very large requirement. This will also be used on a 120" 3D 1080P projected screen. 720P at launch... I might wait, if there is a selling point that entices me.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:12 am

GregSilver wrote:I have been following the echo since its first press release. I am still on the fence about whether or not to order one though. What makes this unit worth the cost compared to an xbox 360?

This is not a bash towards the echo, I am actually wanting to know what true benefits it has.

For me, I will only have 1 or 2 extenders in my home. So using dual band wireless for them is a very large requirement. This will also be used on a 120" 3D 1080P projected screen. 720P at launch... I might wait, if there is a selling point that entices me.
For me, just the tiny size and lack of a fan is worth it over a big bulky XBox with a fan that constantly runs.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:43 pm

RealCodeGuy wrote: For me, just the tiny size and lack of a fan is worth it over a big bulky XBox with a fan that constantly runs.
Although for the prior poster having a room big enough to support a screen of that size most likely means fan noise is not a concern. At this point it is hard to say this box is worth it for you over the xbox when the Echo does not yet support HDMI CEC, but I am also not certain if your projector does either so this may be moot. The only other benefit I can directly say is that it has a much smaller electric footprint as compared to an xbox. They said the Echo would have a browser, but I dont currently see how that can compete with the offerings from Xbox live if you already have a gold subscription.

I like you was on the fence and actually more likely to purchase, but with the lack of a Q and the diminished list of features I will stick with my xbox as it is more than adequate for now. If you dont already have an xbox I would probably go with the Echo as it would be a dedicated box.

Chuckr53

Post by Chuckr53 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:31 pm

I already have one XBOX 360 as an extender, I don't want nor need two more XBOX 360s, especially not in the two small rooms that have noisy analog TiVOs that have seen better days. So I'm totally psyched about the Echo.

I'm bummed out about Netgear no longer selling their MoCA adapters though. Get em while you still can find them.