Please give me a recommendation for a router

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:07 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I'm actually going to keep the old WRT-54GL and extend the antennas outside for better coverage in the backyard/pool area.
I have three of these :shock:
I can't let them go :lol:
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:When I looked up the WNDR3700, they basically say that you need a specific hardware revision because most of the others die.

The RT-N16 seems to have the same overheating problems as the E3000.

I'm going to try the E3000 refurb. I can't beat the price. If it dies an early death, maybe I'll try the RT-N16. It's only $10.00 more.

@bobbob: If you follow these instructions, you can get your USB storage device working again. EDIT: Oops, sorry... that was for the RT-N16. I don't know about the WNDR3700. EDIT2: Ah... check out this link regarding the WNDR3700.
thanks barnabas1969 thats really helpful. not sure what fixed it in the end, i added the command suggested for the startup but then i noticed you actually have to enable usb support in dd-wrt (only been using it about a month). so now its working. the other thing i like about dd-wrt is it allowed me to get rid of my cable provider modem. after i used some program to unscramble the login details i can now attach my wndr3700 direct to the fibre optic hub. another box gone!

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah, I use the WNDR3700 too. It's version 2, which is the one they say to use with the router. I bought it off of ebay (to make sure I got the right one). Plus because it was refurbished, it was a lot cheaper. So I still got the gigabit internet and 5 GHz wifi. The one issue with the router is that the 2.4 ghz wifi randomly stops broadcasting about once a day. So I have the router reset during the night, and I haven't encountered the error at all. I'm hoping to transition most of my devices to 5 ghz at some point anyways.

That's interesting about using the wndr3700 as router and modem for fios. Something to keep in mind if i ever switch to fios.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 am

Crap. I ordered the E3000 from NewEgg this afternoon. When I got home, I poked around more in the WRT-54GL's web pages.

I found that I had set QoS to limit the up/down speeds to just below my old max speeds from my ISP. Now that I think about it, I remember doing this to prevent the router from saturating the up-stream network. My son was doing some P2P stuff, and the up-stream path was being saturated. I used QoS to prevent this, and it improved his P2P download throughput.

Well, I disabled QoS, and now I get full bandwidth up/down from my ISP through my WRT-54GL.

The new router has already shipped. So I bought a router for nothing... unless I choose to upgrade to my ISP's 50/5 service.

From what I've read, the WRT-54GL should be able to handle 35Mbps with DD-WRT installed. I just couldn't figure out why mine wasn't performing well. The CPU was not very busy when I tested it yesterday, and I couldn't figure out what was happening. I didn't remember changing QoS, and I didn't bother looking there yesterday. Now, I'm getting 28Mbps download, and the CPU runs at about 85% busy during the download. That seems about right. I guess I should have waited another day to order a router.