Tunersalad in Windows 8

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JazJon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:34 am

saxnix wrote:Apologies JazJon. I really thought Windows 8 MCE ResetToolbox was the other app that I saw recently that had the ability to increase the number of tuners. I will have to have a think about which one it was??? I have been trying out a few different things lately with trying to get something akin to Astroytoy7's Black theme on 8MC.

Big Screen EPG definatly has the ability to increase tuners - that is the program I have used for a couple years now to do so. If someone can give me a reminder as to how to attach an image (can't seem to find it??), I will go ahead and add a screen grab of my computer showing the option. Otherwise I could pm/email you the image.
Click on "Upload attachment"" blue link below the reply box.
or
Click the Img button to the right of the Bold Italics Underline buttons.
or
use http://imgur.com/ and post that link.

Are you sure you can enable more than 4 tuners for WINDOWS 8? (a clean install of Windows 8, not an upgrade from 7 to 8)

A FAQ a googled up from last summer said they have problems modifying anything in win 8 because of low level change by Microsoft. (the same reason Ceton can't do it)

http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/t ... dows-8-cp/

Please confirm the final version over came this problem :) Hopefully we can all have more then 4 tuners soon winout having to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8. (upgrade works, clean install doesn't)

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:47 am

Thanks for that - I am blind as a bat. Image attached now.

Yes, my upgrade was way of a clean install. I assume that it has worked but haven't had the need to use more than 4 since the recent upgrade. I will try it out and get back to you.
Attachments
BSEPGCapture.PNG

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:50 am

Well if you have more then 4 tuners to test, yes please let us know if it works.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 am

Yep. Seems to be working. I am recording on 5 channels and watching live tv on a 6th.

O.T. I attempted to record on a 7th but no luck. This looks as though it is related to another issue I have been experiencing since the upgrade - for most of my recordings I get a notice box saying that the tuner is disconnected - but the program actually records properly. Troubleshooting this, a forum I found said this could be caused by a faulty tuner. I think that 2 of the tuners on one of my quad tuner cards may not be working. The tuner order is that the computer is trying to use it/them, sees a problem - throws the error, and then moves on to the next tuner and it is working?? Think I need to investigate if the tuner is playing up.

Niall

Post by Niall » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am

Hi All,

Niall here (author of Big Screen EPG).

Just wanted to confirm that yes, absolutely Big Screen EPG supports setting maximum tuner counts to as many as you could possibly need (I think the UI allows a setting of up to 256 tuners) - it always has even from very first beta of Win7 MC (although I was asked to keep it as a secret function by MS for quite some time) - through to the Win8 BSEPG version which was released about 24 hrs after Windows 8 CP came out and continues to work just fine for RTM.

Just to 1000% clarify (not sure how this was interpreted differently) - here's the exact FAQ/message I have on the referenced post above :

Q. Can I still increase the maximum number of tuners in Windows 8 Media Center?

A. Yes you can (with the new version of Big Screen EPG) - and a dialog is now offered to make this much simpler than before (previously was offered as command line option). Using this - you can increase the Maximum tuners to any value you want (ie. between 4 and 512 tuners).

Hope that clears up any confusion.

8)

Niall
/bigscreenglobal.com

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks for replying to my support email and here. I wonder why Tuner Salad, and even Cetoncorp.com are having trouble getting out something that works. It looks like you're the first! I'll give it a shot, and post my results.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 am

Success ! !! !!! !!!! !!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Big Screen EPG finally let me setup all 8 tuners again in Windows 8 Pro. I'm happy.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:06 pm

Glad you got it working.

Niall, thanks for posting. As usual, love the product and couldn't do without it. I have a support issue/question but will email you about it.

Greg

gabrielcab

Post by gabrielcab » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Niall wrote:Hi All,

Niall here (author of Big Screen EPG).

Just wanted to confirm that yes, absolutely Big Screen EPG supports setting maximum tuner counts to as many as you could possibly need (I think the UI allows a setting of up to 256 tuners) - it always has even from very first beta of Win7 MC (although I was asked to keep it as a secret function by MS for quite some time) - through to the Win8 BSEPG version which was released about 24 hrs after Windows 8 CP came out and continues to work just fine for RTM.

Just to 1000% clarify (not sure how this was interpreted differently) - here's the exact FAQ/message I have on the referenced post above :

Q. Can I still increase the maximum number of tuners in Windows 8 Media Center?

A. Yes you can (with the new version of Big Screen EPG) - and a dialog is now offered to make this much simpler than before (previously was offered as command line option). Using this - you can increase the Maximum tuners to any value you want (ie. between 4 and 512 tuners).

Hope that clears up any confusion.

8)

Niall
/bigscreenglobal.com
Thank you very much Niall, I tried your software and it worked. You should make a post in the addon area so people know about this great program and all the things it can do. :thumbup:

Kamakzie

Post by Kamakzie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Anyone know if Tunersalad for 8 might be coming anytime soon?

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:27 am

Just a quick update to this thread- TunerSalad now works with Windows 8. I realize that there are other apps that do the same thing now, but if you're looking for a lean utility that does this one function easily and quickly, without any extra bloatware, then you can head over to http://www.mychannellogos.com/Pages/TunserSalad.aspx

In addition to W8 support, we've upped the limit to 32 tuners. I've also reduced the price to $3.40. If you've bought TunerSalad since W8 came out, then you can send me your receipt, and I'll get you a copy for free.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Kamakzie

Post by Kamakzie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:54 am

Best value for $3.40 IMHO.

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 am

Congratulations on getting it out.

Not sure if you have posted already or not, but make sure you post on the Australian Media Center Community - http://www.pcmediacenter.com.au/forum/f ... ia-center/

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:30 am

Congrats! I'm sure it was tricky to get around what ever the new Win 8 restrictions are.