Anything new in Windows 8 Media Center?

darcher

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by darcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:29 pm

So is there any reason at all with respect to an HTPC to upgrade to Windows 8?

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:32 pm

darcher wrote:So is there any reason at all with respect to an HTPC to upgrade to Windows 8?
No, IMHO.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

SkyDrive integration with wp8
*apps from developers/enthusiasts *
Upcoming touchpad remotes from logitech
Lee

darcher

Post by darcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Other than the remotes, I don't see how much that stuff applies to a dedicated HTPC, but I could be convinced. WMC has so much potential it's a shame how neglected it is. I was in the middle of writing this post and had a 30+ minute conversation with a friend about the merits of an HTPC. Unfortunately, I can't strongly recommend WMC to everyone because it requires so much tech know-how to really make things work. When it's working, it's great (and could be much better if properly supported). When it's not, it's a major source of frustration to my family and, therefore, to me.

dirtyvu

Post by dirtyvu » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 pm

WMC seems faster and more responsive under Windows 8. I don't know if this is due to being a fresh install versus a Windows 7 install that lasted a couple of years.

the Internet TV stuff is gone like the CBS shows. maybe that's why it's faster? the extras library seems smaller.

it seems pretty much the same. setup was a little different and simplified than before. it tuned my channels and downloaded the channel guide faster.

I think the big thing is the Windows store. I've already downloaded a ton of free apps. Apps that were on a smartphone that you thought would be awesome on a full-blown PC. Maybe there'll be enterprising young programmers who will release programs that tinker with the WMC experience.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 pm

carljanderson wrote:
darcher wrote:So is there any reason at all with respect to an HTPC to upgrade to Windows 8?
No, IMHO.
And more importantly for some, doing so will break your non-Xbox extenders.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:45 pm

dirtyvu wrote:the Internet TV stuff is gone like the CBS shows. maybe that's why it's faster? the extras library seems smaller.
The Internet TV stuff was pulled from Windows 7 a couple of months ago.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:15 pm

Did they fix the "1 min" running time bug that sometimes shows up when you move the wtv files off the original computer?

Listen97

Post by Listen97 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:55 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:
carljanderson wrote:
No, IMHO.
And more importantly for some, doing so will break your non-Xbox extenders.
Well it works with the Xbox extenders but you lose 5.1 and video gets choppy, so I'd say that's broke too.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 am

Sjchmura wrote:
kc10boom wrote:You'd only need to bridge your extender if it was somehow connected on a seperate network. If everything is plugged into the same router then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. People may be getting spun up over nothing. I imagine the extenders just use UDP like most video devices to stream video. I use my Western Digital Live TV and it was able to see my Windows 8 machines and login to shared folders without problem.

I understand extenders work. Owever I have a separate Acer media center in the bedroom that I share 1 tuner with (2 other eaters use 3). This works well for my wife as she gets all the cable stations in the bedroom,

So network sharing/ bridging is nice. We have had this since hdhomerun (which I still use).
The lack of the ability to bridge the network connection for the Ceton tuner has absolutely nothing to do with the HD HomeRun tuners. The HD HomeRun and HD HomeRun Prime tuners will still work in Win8. The only thing that doesn't work (currently) is sharing your Ceton tuners over the network.