Media Center and InfiniTV

Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Beerman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:45 am

I went home, rebooted and Xbox as an extender now works perfectly fine. The tuner is working fine. Not sure why but as long as things are working, I'm good.

embj

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by embj » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Just wanted to give my experience with installing Windows 8 with the Infinitv...

All in all, I can say it went fairly smoothly, but not without issues...I did an upgrade rather than a clean install, so that I would be able to watch my copy protected shows. After installing Media Center, I wasn't able to play any of the recorded shows at first. It played them for a second and then told me that there was a video file error. After restarting, everything seemed to be just peachy.

However, I did run into some issues with setting up the tuners again and with the extender. I had to setup Live TV again in MC. At first, MC was telling me that it couldn't detect any tuners, so I went into the Ceton Diagnostics tool, cleared the configuration, and had to rediscover the tuners. Once I did that, it "detected" them just fine when I went into to the Live TV Setup. It asked me if I wanted to apply my previous TV settings, which I opted to do. It took a good 10-15 minutes to apply the settings. I'm not quite certain what applying my previous TV settings did, but after waiting, I still wasn't able to watch live TV because it said there were no tuners available to satisfy the request.

After checking the Ceton diagnostics, I found it was detecting the tuners just fine--but for some reason MC wasn't...so, I ended up going into Settings -> TV Signal -> Set Up TV Signal and had to go through the process of setting up the tuners again. After I did that, everything worked! I was still able to watch all my previously recorded shows and still had all my series recordings scheduled.

I did have to setup the extender (Xbox 360) again, as it wasn't able to find/connect to MC. Simply going through the setup and getting the new PIN from the extender didn't work and resulted in it showing up with configuration errors through the setup process. I actually had to go into MC and uninstall the extender. Once I did that and ran the setup again, it worked.

Just another note--I am having some issues with the ATI drivers. I have a Radeon 4550, which AMD only has legacy driver support for. It works, but the overscan settings won't stick in the Vision Control Center. Every time the computer goes to sleep, is powered off, or restarted, the settings go back to the default...so I'm left with black bars around the entire screen until I go back in and adjust the setting. Guess I'll have to go out and buy a 5000 or 6000 series card that is actually supported in Win 8...

My main reason for upgrading was for the performance increase--there's definitely a noticeable increase on the box itself. Menus change quicker and fast forwarding is quicker, too. Even more so on the extenders--I'm using powerline networking to connect to the Xbox upstairs, and while most times the menus come up pretty quickly, it would sometimes take 5-10 secs to come up with the menus. Now, the menus almost consistently load in < 5 sec.