Ready to try my first HTPC Build

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:21 pm

I live ten minutes from the original store. I've been going there since they opened in the late 70s. Recently my 14yo boy wanted to try his hand at BYO; they just had a "buy this AMD CPU for $100, get the mobo for $10 and the mobo has a $10 rebate" deal.

I still have some receipts from some killer deals I got from them over 20 years ago, mostly surrounding their yellow tag deals.

I could pick up a ready to go HP yellow tag machine, stuffed with almost everything one needs, for $384. Add that 2TB hard drive for recorded TV (or not!), and start it up on MC duties. That's how a buddy of mine did his; after seeing my build and wanting to do his own, he went and got one of those deals then added a couple of Ceton cards (this was back in the full price days!) and a couple of 2TB drives that we pooled together, and it all just worked. Works to this day.

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:20 pm

I appreciate all the input...the only reason I selected that PSU is because it was recommended here...
I have two small boys that like to play video games...I want the PC to be future proof to add a video card if needed, and to be able to handle 3D, when or if we buy a 3D TV. What size PSU would you guys recommend with this info.

I selected the MOBO because it is bundled with 8 gigs of Ram..
Can someone recommend a MOBO that has HDMI out and will work with the above I3 processor?

I'm headed to my locate Fry's Electronics to see some cases up close..

I'm also going to ditch the SSD and maybe look into a highbred drive..

Thanks for all advice..much appreciated.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:55 pm

May I suggest that for stability of the HTPC solution, you let it be just an HTPC. For gaming, you buy a separate unit.

The more you put onto a computer, the less stable it is and the more likely that some part of it will break, not work well, or otherwise require lots of "maintenance". So if you want your HTPC to be an appliance, let it be just an HTPC.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 pm

CactusPilot wrote:I selected the MOBO because it is bundled with 8 gigs of Ram..
Can someone recommend a MOBO that has HDMI out and will work with the above I3 processor?
Just looking at the ratings on Newegg, this looks like a good choice. HDMI, SATA3, USB3, eSATA port, for $90, and you can bundle the same 8GB of RAM for an additional $30. (I'm no expert on motherboards, but based on the specs and the feedback, this seems like a good match).
I'm also going to ditch the SSD and maybe look into a highbred drive..
I know the Momentous series only go to 750GB - that can be a bit on the slim side for a HTPC. I'd be inclined to go for an SSD and a 2TB drive (it's not the fastest drive, but it's plenty fast enough for a HTPC, even with 4 tuners recording at once)

That lot (CPU, MB, RAM, drives) comes to $425, which still leaves over $400 for a case, a PSU and an XBox for the boys to play video games (and use as an Extender, if that's a n option).

:)

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:46 am

I'm having a diffucult time finding a case to fit the power supply..I've decided on a SeaSonic X series fanless power supply since my wife is VERY noise sensative...

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151097), but reading the reviews, the vent side must face up..and non of the cases have holes were the vent should go..

Should I be concerned about this?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:28 pm

CactusPilot wrote:I'm having a diffucult time finding a case to fit the power supply..I've decided on a SeaSonic X series fanless power supply since my wife is VERY noise sensative...

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817151097), but reading the reviews, the vent side must face up..and non of the cases have holes were the vent should go..

Should I be concerned about this?
A fanless power supply still needs air flowing through it. Fanless power supplies rely on the case fans to move enough air. I strongly recommend you get a PSU with a quiet fan, unless you're absolutely certain that the case fans will pull enough air through the fanless PSU.

What case have you chosen?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:36 pm

I'll add that my system has 5 fans in it. Three case fans, a CPU fan, and a fan in the PSU. I cannot hear my HTPC from about 3 feet (1 meter). I sit about 12 feet from the HTPC. I cannot hear it from my seating position.

If you choose a quiet PSU, and get quiet fans for the CPU and case (like the ones I recommended earlier in this thread), and setup your BIOS to control the fan speed correctly, you won't hear the PC.

I can hear the cooling fan in my laptop right now. My HTPC is quieter than a laptop.

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:29 am

barnasbas1969..I appreciate your input..I already have the fans and CPU you recommended in my "shopping cart". Im just trying to finish the build hardware/case..

It's been hard convincing the wife to ditch the Cable box..so the case of the HTPC has to have a display (for a Clock) and other info...also it has to have an IR receiver so she can navigate using our Logitech Harmony 900.

I was checking out this case...its a bit pricey tough :(...http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-GD01B ... one+GD01MX
Last edited by CactusPilot on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:19 pm

I had a blue LED display in my machine, but I ended up taking it out - it was either too bright, or the contrast was such that you couldn't actually read text on the screen. I don't need channel information (we never watch live TV) on the display just a clock, so eventually I gave up and just got a basic $10 alarm clock with red numerals that can easily be read across the room.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 am

@CactusPilot: I spent almost a hundred bucks trying to make a functional clock that looked decent and didn't cause other problems with my system. I got really close, but in the end... I bought a cheap digital alarm clock. It serves the purpose perfectly.

If you do it right, your wife won't have any trouble operating the HTPC... and the Media Center interface, along with all the other features of Media Center, will "wow" her. My wife didn't understand why I did this at first. But she adapted easily to Media Center... and then after using it for 6 months, we were at a friend's house who still has the DVR from the cable company. She and I had some time in his family room to watch TV while he was taking a nap and his wife was out. After using the cable company DVR for about 15 minutes, she leaned over to me and whispered, "This SUCKS compared to Media Center."

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:00 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:@CactusPilot: I spent almost a hundred bucks trying to make a functional clock that looked decent and didn't cause other problems with my system. I got really close, but in the end... I bought a cheap digital alarm clock. It serves the purpose perfectly.

If you do it right, your wife won't have any trouble operating the HTPC... and the Media Center interface, along with all the other features of Media Center, will "wow" her. My wife didn't understand why I did this at first. But she adapted easily to Media Center... and then after using it for 6 months, we were at a friend's house who still has the DVR from the cable company. She and I had some time in his family room to watch TV while he was taking a nap and his wife was out. After using the cable company DVR for about 15 minutes, she leaned over to me and whispered, "This SUCKS compared to Media Center."
Lol, thanks for sharing, I had to read this to the wife..made her feel better. She doesn't like change, so I think your wife's comment helped. The digital clock is sounding really good now.

Can you tell me what you did for an IR receiver? I see some cases have them built in and MOST do not. I want to use our Harmony remote with the build.

Thanks
Last edited by CactusPilot on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:40 pm

I just bought a plain-old MCE-certified IR receiver and remote. It is this one. NewEgg doesn't sell that one anymore. I recommend this one. It's only $15.99 with free shipping.

I don't use the remote that comes with the IR receiver, the remote is just sitting on a shelf with all my other device remotes. Your Harmony will work just fine with any MCE-certified IR receiver.

It does take a lot of fiddling to get Media Center setup to work like a cable box, and to test all the different plugins and settings to decide what you like and what you don't. I spent a month working on mine before I moved it to the living room. I would have waited longer, but my wife was tired of me sitting in my son's room playing with the PC, and not giving her any attention. When I moved the PC into the living room, I put the cable company DVR in my son's room as a backup, just in case Media Center was not ready for the "wife test". I held on to the old DVR for another month, and then returned it.

It also requires patience, and it helps a lot if you already know your way around Windows and the various registry tweaks to get what you want out of Windows. Then, there are several additional tweaks to be learned in regards to Media Center. It's a process, and it takes time to get it right.

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Ok..I like to say thank you for all of the input...After a week of research, I'm about to hit the "Checkout" button ..Here is my final HTPC build. Comments welcome.

Case: nMEDIAPC Black HTPC 2000B with LCD (may or may not install it) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811204032)
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 400C (80 PLUS Certified, Good Reviews and QUITE)
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V (Go ahead and tell me its overkill..but I love the WiFi GO and DLNA streaming features) (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 55/P8Z77V/)
Processor: Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge with HD 4000 Graphics
Ram: G.Skill Value Series 8GB DDR3-13333
Hard Drives: ONE intel 330 -120GB SSD and TWO Seagate Barracuda Green's 2TB
Tuner: Ceton InfiniTV-4
Media: Lite-On Blu-ray Burner with 3D playback (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106348)
Remote: Noah MediaGate GP-IRO2BK MCE Remote (hopefully my Harmony 900 remote will work well with it)
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit ( already owned )

Also..will replace case fans with 2 quite ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fans
One tube of Arctic Silver 5 Thermal compound

Total Price: 1090.33
Last edited by CactusPilot on Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:29 pm

If you're screwing with plugins and trying to get it to do more than what native Windows Media Center does, then yes, you can fiddle forever.

But you can get it going in an hour or two as a cable box with no problems. Just quit fiddling and trying to get it to do unnatural acts.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:00 am

@CactusPilot: It all looks good. The only comment I will make is that the SSD has nothing to do with resuming from sleep. A Windows PC will resume from sleep very quickly when configured correctly, regardless of whether or not you have an SSD.

The SSD will improve performance of the menus in Media Center. You really should consider getting an SSD.

Oh... and I didn't look at your motherboard, but I don't see the point of built-in wireless or on-board DLNA support. The WiFi antenna on most on-board WiFi adapters is located inside your case. Your case is a metal box. Google "Faraday Cage". I don't see how a WiFi antenna inside a metal box can possibly get good signal.

As for on-board DLNA... why? Do you want your PC to be able to be a DLNA server without booting into the operating system? Windows Media Player will present your entire music/video/photo collection to all the DLNA clients on your network. All you have to do is add the folders for your media collections into Media Centers "Libraries".

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:18 am

Oh, I see now that the WiFi adapter for that motherboard has an antenna that you can place outside the case. Much better. Still though, I strongly recommend NOT using WiFi for your extenders... especially not at BOTH the PC and the extender.

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:38 am

barnabas1969...check out the video regarding the ASUS mobo..(http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 55/P8Z77V/)
I guess the SSD is back in :) ..I think 64GB will be fine just for the OS.

Some pretty cool features...."Turn smartphones and tablets into a remote control", "Remote keyboard and mouse", "Easy file and screenshot transfers", "DLNA streaming", and more...I think ASUS did a great job on this board..It will keep me busy for a couple years :)

Regarding the Wifi...if this board does a good job, maybe I ditch my linksys WRT610N? or just not use the WiFi...

I was really pumped about this board, now you have me thinking :)

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:42 am

I've always used Asus boards and never had issues. I second the SSD.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 am

Another +1 on the SSD.
It's the best thing to happen to MC since Ceton Made the first CC tuner.
newfiend~

CactusPilot

Post by CactusPilot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:41 am

Which one?

Mushkin........http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820226236 ,, $90

or

OCZ Vertex..............http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820227706 ,,$99 with rebate