ArcSoft TMT 5 Update Available to 5.3.1.172

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

ArcSoft TMT 5 Update Available to 5.3.1.172

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:14 am

There is an update for TMT 5 available for download.
The new Version is 5.3.1.172 and should be available through the update process within TMT5 or here:

http://download.arcsoft.com/downloads/d ... te_all.exe

2012-10-22
NEW FEATURES
Windows 8 compatible (free update)

BUG FIXES
Fix for NVIDIA systems where 2D Blu-rays launch in 3D mode
Fix AMD 7xxx HD audio bitstreaming no sound issue
Fix a compatibility issue with recent AMD drivers
Fix auto-refresh infinite replay issue on AMD hardware
Fix NVidia HD audio bitstreaming no sound issue
Fix improper mode switching on some NVidia 3D systems

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:35 pm

newfiend wrote:
BUG FIXES
Fix for NVIDIA systems where 2D Blu-rays launch in 3D mode
Thank God for that one. I'll have to test it soon.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 pm

Let me know how the 3D fix works.. My GT640 now passes HD audio without the patch from ArcSoft so that's a bonus.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:49 pm

It might be a while before I can test. I just bought a used car for my son (his first car), and I'll be working on it this weekend to make sure it's road-ready and safe.

Jonny561201

Post by Jonny561201 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Oh thank goodness. I was tryign to use the TMT 5.3.1.146 (I think) and I have a new AMD Trinity APU installed and it did not seem to go well...I had to revert to an older install. Let me know how this one goes

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 pm

I think v5.3.1.172 includes Cinavia detection, so you won't be able to backup any Cinavia protected Blu-Ray or DVD titles to your hard drive and then playback the copy. If this is important to you, I'd think carefully before upgrading.

(Please note, I'm not defending piracy here -- just pointing out that you could lose the convenience of playing back protected media from your hard drive).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 pm

It does have the new protection.. However I don't use TMT5 to playback anything other than my content on a blu-ray disk. I have been able to use make .mkv to back up my disks and play them off the HDD without issues so far.. But I use haali to open and play the .mkv's as well from within Media Browser.
I currently have the latest TMT5 patch installed. Has anyone else had an issue backing up their content post patch?
newfiend

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:26 am

I probably didn't make it clear in my earlier post, that the backup of a Cinavia protected disc will still complete successfully. It's just that any attempt to play the backup using v5.3.1.172 will mute the audio after around 20 minutes and display an error message.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Wow, that just sucks. I have 146 installed. I'm glad I didn't install 172 yet. It adds the correct detection of 3D BD's, but it's not too difficult to work around the lack of 3D detection... it's just a menu setting change when I want to change TMT between 2D and 3D mode. Everything else about 146 seems to work fine for me.

I wonder how long it will take someone to crack Cinavia. My hope is that someone figures out a way to hack TMT to make it ignore the Cinavia watermark. That would solve the whole problem.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 am

Pixelz wrote:I probably didn't make it clear in my earlier post, that the backup of a Cinavia protected disc will still complete successfully. It's just that any attempt to play the backup using v5.3.1.172 will mute the audio after around 20 minutes and display an error message.
Well since I don't use TMT5 to decode or playback my .MKV's I don't see how this would be an issue for me.. However I guess others that are using TMT5 to playback .MKV would be affected... I have the latest Cinavia TMT5 Patch installed and I do not have any playback issues on my .MKV's at this time.

I'm sure at some point Brian that you will get a Blu-Ray TMT5 can't decode without the latest patch as typically Blu-Ray decoders need updated keys. Hence the reason they constantly need updates.. whether its a stand alone player or a software decoder like TMT. At some point you will have to update to be current on the latest decoding keys.

I have said it before and I'll say it again.. If someone can engineer copy protection, someone else will find a way to reverse engineer it. I don't ever see software copy protection working 100% long term. It's only a matter of time..

newfiend~

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 am

As I understand it, BD players don't need updates due to new "keys". The problem is that the menus in BD movie discs are written in Java (I think that says it all)... and whenever a production company comes up with a "creative" new menu system, it breaks playback on all the players... so the player manufacturers need to release a patch to fix the problem.

I can certainly see how you could get away with MKV playback, even on movies that are Cinavia-protected. This is because you can play MKV on players that are not Cinavia-enabled. The way I understand it, Cinavia encodes a key into the audio track. When you play the movie on a Cinavia-enabled player, the key in the audio track tells the player to check and make sure that the source disc is copy-protected with the correct AACS key.

I suppose MKV could be an option now that I've found a workable solution to "soft" subtitles in MKV. I'd like to know if it's possible to put frame-packed 1080p 3D video into an MKV though. I know it's possible to use side-by-side or top/bottom 3D, but I don't know about frame packing in MKV.