Error immediately upon starting setup program

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
chants92

HTPC Specs: Show details

Error immediately upon starting setup program

Post by chants92 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:23 am

Receive and error dialog immediately upon starting the setup program. It gives the following information when I look at the details. Anyone have any info on this?

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: ctnsetup.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.110.11151
Problem Signature 03: 4fc2ed85
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ef6c131
Problem Signature 07: 366b
Problem Signature 08: 10
Problem Signature 09: System.ArgumentNullException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 am

I guess I am a bit confused if it is the installer you downloaded or if that installed alright and then you are trying start up the companion config.

Did you try to right click on the ceton companion config or installer and run as administrator? Is this 64 or 32 bit? This looks like a general .Net issue on the system.

Additionally if you can Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:
Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
When asked, save the display information in English.
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Create a new folder by right clicking in a blank area within the folder Errors.evtx is saved in. You could also click New Folder at the top of the directory under the directory path box.
Name the new folder Errors.
Place Errors.evtx and the LocaleMetaData folder into the new Errors folder.
Right click the Errors folder -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here.

Please upload your msinfo32.nfo file. To get this: Start Menu -> Type msinfo32 into the Search programs and files box -> When it opens, go to File, Save -> Save as msinfo32.nfo and save in a place you will remember -> Let it finish the process of gathering and saving the system info -> Right click the .nfo file, click send to compressed (zipped) folder -> Upload the .zip file here.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I know we fixed it for you already but if possible could you install http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/compani ... 2_0869.exe and see if it works w/o the work-around I sent?

chants92

Post by chants92 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:06 am

Motz wrote:I guess I am a bit confused if it is the installer you downloaded or if that installed alright and then you are trying start up the companion config.

Did you try to right click on the ceton companion config or installer and run as administrator? Is this 64 or 32 bit? This looks like a general .Net issue on the system.

Additionally if you can Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:
Click Start Menu
Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
Expand Custom Views
Click Administrative Events
Right click Administrative Events
Save all Events in Custom View As...
Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
When asked, save the display information in English.
Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
Create a new folder by right clicking in a blank area within the folder Errors.evtx is saved in. You could also click New Folder at the top of the directory under the directory path box.
Name the new folder Errors.
Place Errors.evtx and the LocaleMetaData folder into the new Errors folder.
Right click the Errors folder -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the .zip file here.

Please upload your msinfo32.nfo file. To get this: Start Menu -> Type msinfo32 into the Search programs and files box -> When it opens, go to File, Save -> Save as msinfo32.nfo and save in a place you will remember -> Let it finish the process of gathering and saving the system info -> Right click the .nfo file, click send to compressed (zipped) folder -> Upload the .zip file here.
The error occurs when trying to run the installer that is downloaded. The user logged in is an administrator. This is a Windows 7 64 bit install. I have removed .Net and re-installed it with the same error. I have followed the steps you outlined for generating the Error.evtx file but am not aware of where the LocaleMetaData folder is to copy it into the folder I am to compress. Also, when you say upload the .zip file here - is here referring to this message board or was there supposed to be some other link included? As of today, this error still occurs although I have a workaround that someone else sent me.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:30 am

Have you downloaded the latest? The same file that you had any issue with doesn't exist anymore.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 am

The latest version from the website should fix it up. http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/companion/w7/latest

The work around I believe I sent you back in the day was to simply Extract the .exe into a folder (I use winrar, but other apps like winzip or 7zip will work) and then inside of that folder you will see 2 .msi files that you can run for either x86 or x64.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 am

Ignore him, WinRAR = evil!

The exe is also self extracting if needed but the update should just fix it :)