Companion Remote Control Extender Friendly Name

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
nuclearxp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Companion Remote Control Extender Friendly Name

Post by nuclearxp » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:06 pm

This is probably a question more specific to the WMC configuration of extenders, but I'll ask anyway (perhaps a Ceton Companion feature request?)

Is there a way to give extenders a friendly name. For example, when using the Ceton Companion app on my phone, when I select one of my 3 xboxes to control, if more than one is on at one time my poor family sees something like Mcx3-SERVER (server is the name of my server serving WMC video). It would be nice to have an option to assign these friendly names like "Living Room" so we don't have to guess which box we're going to control.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:29 am

This is a popular feature request, and Ceton has said that this feature is "in the works".

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:49 pm

With the latest companion services we added a new "beta" channel that you can subscribe to under "about". We will be pushing out new features and posting them there for testing before doing official builds. I will create a sticky as to when new beta builds are released.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bigpunk

Post by bigpunk » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:40 pm

I noticed there is a new Beta Version (12.10.20.864) in the Companion App can you post a change log.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:39 pm

bigpunk wrote:I noticed there is a new Beta Version (12.10.20.864) in the Companion App can you post a change log.
Installer changes only:

1- Installer will clear older Yammm caches
2- Installer does not wait for the services to start before continuing

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Yeah I added this as a feature request. I noticed the beta channel but am not interested in following anything that isn't a full release. When it comes to paid software (even $5) I want the tried & true stuff. Leave beta testing for those that don't have families or have the time to mess with stuff!

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Do you know if, in the example of xbox extenders, ceton plans on using the console name which is available in the latest update? See: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/ ... ayto-setup. This would be nice to pull this by default and then provide a subsequent naming capability afterwards.

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Any response if ceton services can pickup and pass along an xbox extender friendly name per their latest update?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm

We are implementing features in a future release to allow you to have more-friendly device names.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:33 pm

erkotz - yeah I checked the ceton feature request list and noticed this was accepted. my question is more specifically, will the ceton cervices attempt to initially populate known "friendly" devices automatically - e.x. when it reaches out to and connects to xboxes, can it pull the "friendly name" we're now able to assign to our consoles. same principal would theoretically apply to other extenders i presume

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 pm

nuclearxp wrote:erkotz - yeah I checked the ceton feature request list and noticed this was accepted. my question is more specifically, will the ceton cervices attempt to initially populate known "friendly" devices automatically - e.x. when it reaches out to and connects to xboxes, can it pull the "friendly name" we're now able to assign to our consoles. same principal would theoretically apply to other extenders i presume
Sadly poor assumption. There are 3 different places you can rename Extenders and they are each used by different products. We won't be supporting all of them.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:04 pm

mikinho wrote:
nuclearxp wrote:erkotz - yeah I checked the ceton feature request list and noticed this was accepted. my question is more specifically, will the ceton cervices attempt to initially populate known "friendly" devices automatically - e.x. when it reaches out to and connects to xboxes, can it pull the "friendly name" we're now able to assign to our consoles. same principal would theoretically apply to other extenders i presume
Sadly poor assumption. There are 3 different places you can rename Extenders and they are each used by different products. We won't be supporting all of them.
Wouldn't it be better/more universal to just put this feature in the App itself instead of relying on features in the extender? Should be pretty straight forward to do a simple X=Y device assignment and then show the user 'Y' while using 'X' internally.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:08 pm

You see it as a good solution but others are asking for the opposite :)

The feature is complete and will be in beta this week (wanted to release yesterday as Xmas update but...)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:29 pm

mikinho wrote:You see it as a good solution but others are asking for the opposite :)

The feature is complete and will be in beta this week (wanted to release yesterday as Xmas update but...)
It's possible that not many of us asked for it to be a setting in the Companion Services because we assumed, based on your previous post, that it was not possible to get the friendly name from all extenders due to the fact that they all store it in a different way. In order to fully support all types of extenders, the only solution is to be able to enter the name in the settings of the Services application. Supporting only the Echo for friendly names is BS.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:31 pm

It supports all extenders, I don't think anyone said anything different.

It just doesn't pull existing friendly names from all extenders.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:39 pm

I thought I read in another thread that the friendly name will only work with Echo. If it works with all extenders, then that's wonderful. I don't care how the name gets into the app... as long as there is a way to do it with all extenders. I currently have an Echo, a DMA, and three HP's.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:22 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I thought I read in another thread that the friendly name will only work with Echo. If it works with all extenders, then that's wonderful. I don't care how the name gets into the app... as long as there is a way to do it with all extenders. I currently have an Echo, a DMA, and three HP's.
I'm with you, the info on this seems contradictory from post to post. It would be nice to have a clear explanation on what the solution is going to be and how it applies to all extenders. The info I've seen indicates that it won't work with all extenders and that it appears to be written primarily to work with the new Ceton extenders.

If the plan is to get the name from the extender name somehow, I also think this would be a good feature to add 'in app' since the names many would want to present to family members may be far different than the names they want on the devices themselves.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 am

The post stated it will only rename the Echo device itself...as we obviously have control over that.

The implementation will be in the change logs when posted.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:37 pm

I have two Linksys Extenders. There's an option somewhere in the menus on those Extenders to rename them (it's been a while, I'd have to check which menu it's on). On my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines, the list of Network Devices shows the name that I have specified. I don't have an XBox - how does it show up in Windows?