Vista support

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
theisp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Vista support

Post by theisp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:17 pm

I currently have wmc/w7 but might shift to Vista media center as it is wery unstable.

It freeses and it restarts often.

Therefor I consider a migration to Vista, but will the server software run?

Regards
theisp

Tester

Post by Tester » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I know this is not an answer to your question, but clearly there is something wrong with either your hardware or setup.
Win7 MCE runs great and is extremely stable, Ive been using it for 3 years and outside of a montly reboot, Ive never had it freeze or blue screen on me.
I am sure others here will suggest you look at your setup and or hardware first before moving on to a new platform.

Have U tried to format your system and start over ?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:54 pm

Many are using W7 and is MUCH more stable than vista as far as MC is concerned. There are also many addons that do not work with Vista that would only work/supported with W7.

I would look at two items: Drivers and vpn client.

If you have the Cisco VPN client, uninstall it completely. there are issues with it and the Ceton cards.

Check to make sure that you are using the latest windows 7 drivers for all your components (including the MB/chipset drivers and the Network Card drivers) . Use the ones from the manufacturer/chipset vendor. The drivers that MS detects by default are frequently not the best; they may work... but have performance or stability issues...
Time is on my side.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 pm

We only plan on supporting Windows 7 x86 and x64 with Windows 8 support coming in the future. Vista is not on our roadmap at all sorry.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Like James said we don't support Vista and have no plans to. But we'd be happy to help get your W7 system stable. W7 really is a LOT more stable than Vista on just about every platform I've seen.